Older new riders later

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Posting this in the hope other aged NR beginners will also update.

Learning to ride in ones 60s is often seen as a triumph in itself. Must emphasise that riding should be regarded as normal, a mental and health benefit for pensioners too.

There will be moments for any oap when ill health or the loss of a horse will mean a break. I almost stopped riding last autumn.

I was tempted back by the offer of my RIs most beautiful horse to hack. Compromise yes. I cannot ride solo. May be it is safer in old age to hack with someone else but I miss my freedom.

When you are old or teaching someone old you need to have happy lessons and feel you are getting somewhere. My OH stopped riding because he and his horse both got just too old and werent going anywhere. It was boring.

I lost my RI and my lesson horses last year. Yet have just resumed lessons - Benefits becoming clear - Very good for an old lady to ride some new horses. Another compromise to age. I wanted a dressage schoolmaster. Instead another blank slate pony has grabbed my attention. May be that is what riders need in old age like a TV serial so you cant wait for next week.

As always, inspired by you Skib. I started aged 60 and it was a childhood dream come true. I stopped riding last October as the place where I was, were getting increasingly impatient with my slow mounting and dismounting. Notwithstanding the fact that I volunteered in the yard every week come rain or shine! After a gap of a few months, during which I thought my riding days were over, I discovered another school - I have started riding again (with patient and understanding assistance in mounting and dismounting) and I also volunteer at the same yard. It is a joy! I have osteoarthritis and increasingly stiff hips - but riding and being around horses is my complete happiness at almost 70.

started riding at 45 - 56 now... i still struggle and have good days and not so good... but not many grandmas out there riding so feeling pretty proud of myself... daughter and granddaughter ride - since young (and birth for granddaughter) so they have no fear.

Reactions: OldandNew
newrider.com