NOw this is a turn on the forehand!

Not my cup of tea im afraid - couldn't help thinking how much it reminded me of the travellers hammering their cobs up the road - have a look at the trotting at approx 3mins 20 secs .....:redface:

"Runs and dives for cover!!":redface:

Im a tad wary of saying this....but I dont actually find watching a horse like that an attractive sight? There never seems to be any flow or joy in the movement of the Spanish horses (and others trained to a similar 'level'). I find it rather stilted,and too restrictive and turned far from a horse's natural way of going to be impressed with it at all.:frown:

Sorry - finding it difficult to express what exactly I mean. One more try to get my words right........to me, this doesnt harness a horse's natural movement and improve on it....in fact IMO it does the very opposite!:frown:

Ok - Im sure I wont have many who agree with me, but in my little mind it seems that this stuff is held in almost an unquestioning awe and reverence in the horse world. IMO it shouldn't be.:unsure:

Not a fan I have to say. Like HHH101, not my cup of tea and the horse does not seem to enjoy what it's doing.

Agree with those who it doesn't sit comfortably with...

I can't seem to express why -- it's the same when dressage or racing is on the TV. I turn it off quickly. There's something un-natural and it appears too uncomfortable to me.

That's not to say that I don't agree with it, or don't respect people's decisions to do this kind of work. Just on a personal level... :redface:

Have you ever worked with Iberian Horses? It is in their blood to offer high school moves.

If you spent an hour with Heather Moffett and her Iberian horses you'd change your mind.

Last edited:
With dressage the idea is that the horse has to be willing and relaxed in its movements. Alot of dressage nowadays is uncomfortable to watch because the horse seems to be held up by the rider. I always get the impression that if the rider let thier reins an inch the horse would collapse.

Youtube Anja Beran, she is a classical rider who doesnt use horses bred to perform. All thier movements are unforced and look beautiful.

curates egg. I hated the first moves which i can't see can be very good for the horse's leg - some of it was nice but i didn't watch it to the end as i couldn't stand to watch the totally unnatural stuff he was asking for

he rode very well and very nicely, just wished he didn't feel the need to contort the horse and put strain on its joints. but then i don't actually like any of the the spanish school stuff anyway, having seen it first hand with horses coming out of the ring with blood running down their sides from spurs and blood coming out of their mouths.

I don't think that they do the really advanced stuf again and again and again any more than a horse playing in a field would. I see this turn on the forehand move done nearly every day in the field with our stallions and colts when they play. It's a perfectly natural move for the horse to do, that horse is just doing it when asked.

You have to remember these Iberian horses neck conformation is a bit different to that of a TB or warmblood, the poll should be the highest point in the head carriage, but Iberian horses are the exception where the neck is so made that the poll cannot be the highest point.

To my eye this horse demonstrates all the advanced work without the horrid tension so often seen in today's top dressage horses.

Canter pirouettes are to die for!!!!!

I loved it!

You say these movements are unnatural but Henry can do all sorts of impressive things when playing with his friends, the collection my horse can gather though his hocks to spin 180c from a canter in one direciton to canter the other way is amazing, all these things come naturally to horses, it's how WE ask them to do it that can be the issue. Maybe I should stable him 24/7 so he can't run around putting strain on his joints?

I can't believe how much flexibility and refinement the rider had though his ankles, you could see he was clearly pressing different buttons accuratly.

Maybe I should stable him 24/7 so he can't run around putting strain on his joints?

Now that is the sort of immature comment that adds nothing even remotely helpful or interesting to the discussion does it?:rolleyes:

Maybe I should stable him 24/7 so he can't run around putting strain on his joints?

Now that is the sort of immature comment that adds nothing even remotely helpful or interesting to the discussion does it?:rolleyes:

I was just pointing out that strain on a horse's joints is going to happen whilst they are out in the field, running around, doing natural things. If a horse is confined unable to move it would mean that they would put less stress on their joints but of course it would be rediculous to expect a horse to be confidned 24/7.

I think you are missing the point somewhat.:rolleyes:

I was just pointing out that strain on a horse's joints is going to happen whilst they are out in the field, running around, doing natural things. If a horse is confined unable to move it would mean that they would put less stress on their joints but of course it would be rediculous to expect a horse to be confidned 24/7.

I think you are missing the point somewhat.:rolleyes:

I fear you need to educate yourself on how the majority of these horses are kept, in fact they ARE confined 24/7 for the most part, apart from a very short annual break when they are sometimes allowed access to small paddocks. So am I to assume that in the case of the Spanish Riding School horses, you would find that acceptable then?

I fear you need to educate yourself on how the majority of these horses are kept, in fact they ARE confined 24/7 for the most part, apart from a very short annual break when they are sometimes allowed access to small paddocks. So am I to assume that in the case of the Spanish Riding School horses, you would find that acceptable then?

Is the horse in the video kept stabled 24/7?

Please note I was talking about 'my' horse, he doesn't perform these joint straining actions in the school, only in the field.

newrider.com