No confidence/ very nervous

Abbi

Mar 15, 2017
Hi guys

I have a beautiful gypsy cob. I have had her 1 year but only sat on her for the first time for 5 minutes last week. I was that nervous my whole body was shaking.

I've have only ever been on one other horse and just walked round on her but felt as though I was going to fall.

Please someone help before I give up. Even when I go to tack her up I feel sick and the nerves kick in

Oh no! Has something caused it? Have you had a fall previously? Just trying to get some background. Is it just falling that scares you?

Are you confident on the ground?

You need a really good instructor to help you through this. Get some lessons on the ground and in the saddle and you will get your confidence back. Just don't give up! xx

Oh no! Has something caused it? Have you had a fall previously? Just trying to get some background. Is it just falling that scares you?

Are you confident on the ground?

You need a really good instructor to help you through this. Get some lessons on the ground and in the saddle and you will get your confidence back. Just don't give up! xx

Nope no falls, she's my first ridden horse and slipped off her (my own fault) I actually found it funny and didn't hurt myself.

Yes I'm confident on the ground, probably too confident
I'm not too scared of falling off. I honestly don't know what is holding me back xx

Either get a riding instructor or go for lessons at a school. If your horse has not been ridden by anyone for a year, even if he was bombproof before you had it you might find that he gets funny with you sitting on him if he's not had anyone on his back for a while. This could knock your confidence before you start. He might need re-backing. Get some lessons on something that is being ridden regular. Then get an instructor to sit on yours before you ride it.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
From what you say it sounds like you've very little riding experience so I'd suggest you start off by booking a course of lessons at a riding school & explaining at the start the problem you have & what you want to achieve. And while you're doing that I'd find someone who can come and ride your girl so she's back in the habit of being ridden for when you're ready to ride her. You can do this, but best to go about it safely & sensibly.

Oh that's good :) . I hope the lesson goes well, it sounds like you've got a sensible plan & help in place.

Reactions: Abbi
Not stupid at all, it's very wise not to get on a horse if you feel she's beyond your skills & instead set about learning more first. I wish more people had so much sense!

Not stupid at all, it's very wise not to get on a horse if you feel she's beyond your skills & instead set about learning more first. I wish more people had so much sense!

Thanks hun, even if no had the bottle to jump on her I wouldnt without an experienced person there or an instructor, that would be an accident waiting to happen although my cob is as safe as houses, she is a horse and they are all unpredictable.

You're not stupid at all, you're sensible because you realise there is an issue and you have asked for help. You should be proud of yourself, I know a lot of people who won't admit they're scared. In fact I often wish more people thought like you.

Please, please don't give up though, you will get there. You just need a good instructor to show you that it's not that scary and you can do it. :)

Reactions: Abbi
newrider.com