NewRiders Over The Years!

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
I've been on this forum since it opened in ?1997. I've made loads of friends, and as well as the brilliant advice and wonderful support I've had through my physical/horsey trials and tribulations, I've had favours done me and ideas given me, left right and centre by kind NRs.

Thought I'd mention a few, to show you that some faith in other humans is justified. These are as I remember them and not in any particular order.

Lots of custom built tack, including the now RDA famous 'canter handle'!! A 'pulling-leg-into-car' strap for people with hip replacements. Privileged few months of riding and getting to know that character that was Fat Cob, until sadly he had to be put to sleep due to severe inoperable colic (and not due to failing of my hip replacement , as one of NR's less charitable members told everyone on another forum). Also the privilege of being entrusted with the job of selecting, caring for and arranging shipping of a welsh cob to the Shetland Islands. Unfortunately, the climate on Shetland was too cold, even for a native welsh pony, and Cymro had to be returned to the mainland. But his schooling was a success story, of which I too am very proud. Thank you Wally and Frances.

Mossy, Gill and eml have supported me many times along my merry way, with words of wisdom and diplomacy. Thank you.

I've had a holiday in Austria courtesy of Sylvia, my co-disabled rider. And she has been to stay with me here too and had her first experience of riding a cob type pony here. We shared many a laugh over 'disabled' mishaps, whilst trying to be 'able-bodied'. Perserverance is her middle name.

I cannot for the life of me remember the names of two members, who helped me out some years ago. One of whom lived in the midlands, and when I was looking for a horse, went to do a preliminary trial for me, and in so-doing, saved me a drive to Stoke-On-Trent, to see a totally unsuitable horse, which was not a 'beginner's ride' as described. In 2003, I travelled down to a friend's in Shropshire with Willow, in preparation for RDA Dressage Championships the next day at Hartpury College. The other member lived very close to Hartpury College, and despite being on her day off, got up at the crack of dawn, to phone me in shropshire to tell me what the weather was like her way, because if it's windy and raining, Willow will simply not perform. She goes on strike. There would have been no point me making the journey, and we'd had wind and rain in the previous few days. Thanks to you two.

Kanuma braved it to try some schooling with Seren, and despite Seren being very rude and dropping her shoulder, before parting with Kanuma, Kanuma got straight back on again, and showed more guts than I could ever have mustered with her. Thanks.

Zingy and I have been 'ladies who lanch' in a popular Cheshire venue for rich widows! I've had loads of advice and friendship, especially when my son had an accident, and I ended up circling Macclesfield looking for the hospital. And she was there at the other end of a text message, speculating on the 'accidents' one could have with a pair of crutches when confronted by some dirty old men at a British Legion do in Cumbria, where I was entertaining for the evening ....Singing, you understand!! Thanks chook!

KarinUS has recently bought from an on-line store for me, a pair of ferrules for the ends of my crutches. Ideal for people who wander far and wide on their crutches as I do, and on uneven ground. They are the 4X4s of the crutch world. Have 30 degree flexion in the rubber so they don't slip very easily, and trendy??? But the company don't ship to UK, so Karin got them and mailed them to me....wow!! Worth it or what!! Thank you Karin.

I met Chev about three years ago. She's now my bestest friend. She took Willow on board for me after my hip failed and I couldn't manage her in the stable. When my hip replacement broke, I panicked as I was getting in the ambulance, that OH would sell Anni. Chev jumped in without question and promised me she wouldn't let anyone sell her. The problem never arose and my fears were unfounded. I was just concerned that because it happened in the stable, OH would think it was Anni's fault and that I'd come home from hospital to an empty stable.But he accepted thankfully that the hip had just failed, I hadn't fallen and Anni had had no part in it.Chev taught Anni to pick her feet up, and put her first rug on her for me. Trimmed her second ear, when Anni had only let me do one. Bathed her and showed her, and was on then end of a text 24/7 for months and months and months after my hip broke. I was devastated, and Chev was there all time even when she had other things going on. She even sorts me out when I'm in a mood because I can't get rid of Norton Anti Virus parental controls!!!;) Thanks Hun!

Mike, apart from finding me stabling for Willow near Hartpury College for the night before the RDA Dressage Championships in 2002, has always been there, for all the moderators. He's been supportive of our efforts, and accepts that we're human being too, and that occasionally we too get personal stuff thrown at us (not literally you understand!) by some less obliging (and occasional, I might add) members. I know that before now, I've got cross, and Mike has intervened at the right time or at my request, in order to put a stop to things. Thanks Mike for all your help over the years.

To anyone and everyone else, thank you for your kind comments, laughs, and for sharing in the tears too. I had pages and pages of messages when I was in hospital, together with a teddy-bear, flowers, and chockies from a big bunch of you. You were great.

And on top of that....I've practically been spoon-fed a country bumpkin's guide on 'How To Get To The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore' complete with crutches.All a month ahead of the appointment. Now only NRs could sort that one out! Thanks again.

Last edited:
it was fantastic to read that, I think there is more community spirit on NR than in the village where I live, there may be things about the internet that are not so good, but forums that are as well run as this one deserve recognition :D I think the world carries on getting smaller and smaller,
A thank you to all the moderators on here who work so hard :D and may you and everyone else get support from NR for many years to come Monty :)

monty No harm was done by seren, ive had harder falls from worse ponies and from viscious ponies as well, she slipped and i went out the front door lol! If you ever need anything to ride i will repeat my offer that any of my lads are there for your use (although i dont think you'll be wanting to ride the screwball arab, stan and pride are good for a dressage test!), i'll also repeat the offer of if you want anything shown i have space in the trailer for some shows and normaly enough time for anouther ned!

I feel so lucky to have found NR.... it's like a big family, including the squabbles which invariably crop up!!!

I LOVE IT HERE!!!! :D

Monty, you've been a great inspiration to many people on here, whether you've meant to or wanted to :) A nice reminder to us all the extent of the friendships that can be formed here.

Thank you. Giggled when I read what Sugarlump's horse thought of me. (S)he's probably right!! As domane so rightly said, even some of the squabbles have their place....sometimes it's such a responsibility, as a moderator, deciding which squabbles do NOT have their place here, and not to allow personal issues to cloud our judgement. And those that don't have a place, I hope, are the ones that get erased, before a lot of you will ever see them.

People have been so positive for me, and so supportive. And I still need your support. I have decided to chance it, and let an expert, - a REAL expert this time, have another go at reconstructing my hip. I can't live in crutches/in a wheel chair for the reast of my life, because some cavalier surgeon decided he'd try and get his name in The Lancet, by playing God with my hip joint when he'd never done anything like it before. And that's why I'll be going to Stanmore, to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital towards the end of the year. But going for scans in May, and having a custom made prosthesis built by CAD/CAM, instead of making do with an inappropriate 'off-the-peg' one . It means the end of riding for me, but I think that was inevitable even without the operation. I'm finding it uncomfortable, and not enjoyable. I have to give this a chance, not only to get me more mobile again, but to save the pressure on my other hip and knee. This will be my 21st operation on my hip, and has to be the last.

On the good side-my ponies go nowhere.I shall still be breeding and showing in-hand. As you can imagine, I now have a lot of tack to part with. If anyone is looking for anything for a 14.2hh ish/cobsized item, then please PM me or Chev, and I'll see what I have. It's all in good condition. So please just ask.

What a lovely read Monty, it just goes to show what a great site NR is. We're all here to help each other and its great to share our ups and downs with like minded people :)

Monty what a lovely post.
As others have said though, you bring so much to this board, and you are a shining example of bravery and the will to carry on, to all of us.

When our aches and pains kick in they simply pale into insignificance to what you have been through, yet still you find ways to keep your horsey interests.

Horses are amazing though aren't they? They keep us going and they won't get out of our lives and minds even when it might be sensible to let them.

I really hope your next adventures bring you some better comfort and mobility.

(((Big Hugs)))

Not sure if I could have been as brave as you have been though all your trials and tribulations.

Just wish my naglets lived a bit closer to you so that you could have had some fun with them before they finally 'fix' you out of the riding side of things - although Peri is rather too preggers to do much more than waddle at the moment :D Tavia is the sweetest wee soul and would look after you perfectly.

Hope all goes well with the op, any dates yet?

I've recenlty not been round on NR as much as in the past, but it's posts like this that makes me inevitably come back. The heart of NR is good and kind, and that's what draws me to it. And you can tell all those things from this thread :)

I think JaniceH's name should get a mention. She was the one who had the brilliant idea of getting together the bear (Monty-bear :D), flowers and choccies for you, and she rallied the troops and got it all organised :)

Monty, you deserve everything that you have gained through this board. After all, you only get back what you put in :)

If you don't mind a load of the local riff-raff descending on you while you're at Stanmore, I'll be the first in the queue, ready with a bag of grapes and a good number of hours for horsey chat, until you get sick of me! Seriously, if you fancy a bit of company, I'd jump at the chance. After all, you don't get to meet an NR legend every day. That's what you are Monty, a NR legend :D

Ive not been on here much, as only my son rides occassionally now and I dont have any other contact with horses other than when he is in his lesson. Also now Im a single parent, there isnt any chance of me driving or riding now even if I wanted to. I just have my memories of owning two nightmare horses and a devil pony :rolleyes: and working on a mini stud and taking a spotted stallion to his first show. However, I do try and read some of the posts from people that I remember. Monty, you have been an inspiration to me, and many others as well. We all held our breath when we heard that your hip had failed, and yes I was the one that co-ordinated the donations from all over the world for your flowers, chocolates and Monty bear. It was the least we could do to wish you all the best and to say we were thinking of you. We followed your trials with Penny the coloured cob, and we all shed a tear (or many) with you when Fatcob went to the stable in the sky, and now we enjoy hearing all about Anni and her dancing feet! We never did get to meet did we, although we did exchange text messages :) Im sure we would get on famously. Maybe one day. Janicexxx

Aw thanks, Janice. I wondered what had happened to you. And I didn't know who had started the flowers/teddy/chockies idea, although I'm sure Chev must have told me, she told me everything, but I was rather high on pain killers at the time :p Thanks soooo much it was a wonderful idea and a brilliant surprise!

I'm sorry you've had a hard time recently. Been there, and done a lot of that, so you're not alone hun. We'll meet....we definitely will. If I can get to Vienna to see Sylvia.....:eek:

Kyanya....that's a brilliant idea. Can't see many farmers' wives from North Wales getting down here. :eek: My poor OH would have a better idea of how to catch a cold, than a train or worse still underground. He won't have a clue, bless.Don't think he's been much further than Rhyl before now!! So guess I'm going to be down there for ten days, without seeing anyone much. I'm going on May 15th for scans to get precise measurements of my existing anatomy, and to see a Dr Jia Hua who is a bio-medical engineer and going to engineer/manufacture my prosthesis. I don't know that they'll be able to give me a precise date of my op at that time. But I've been told it will be close to the end of the year. So I'll keep you all posted.

Tis all I can do at the moment to try not to get too excited.

Anni is still very all-singing all dancing, JaniceH. Bless her cottons! You must come up here and stay sometime!!

Your post is just so special. :)

We are all very lucky to have you on NR Monty.;) This place is fantastic...it just shows you how people from all over the world can come together and do something for someone that they care about.

Good luck in your operation. I'll be thinking of you when the time comes.

xxx
Talia

newrider.com