New years day preperations

Not much progress this week :eek: I did have my 2nd hat/helmet fitting with my nan but forgot pictures again and she has taken it away for some last alterations so I will get pics once it arrives back in a week or two :)

I'm at a bit of a decision point with the chariot, I like my first moc up, its simple to do (shape wise) and gives the right feel, but I am struggling with materials, the cardboard works great but if it were to be raining it would be a soggy mash in minutes. I debated paper mache but it would have the same problem. Wood would be too heavy. Polycarbonate twin wall (like plastic cardboard with the 2 skins and wiggly insides.....that's a technical term ;)) is by far the best option but its not cheap, I'd be looking at almost a hundred quid including delivery :eek: so I'm trying to come up with a cheaper option, possibly cardboard, painted up then covered with clear plastic...like a cheap dust sheet or something, any ideas welcome :)

I also have my cape/cloak, I'll get some pics of that tonight :p its about 3 sizes too big but my theory is that I can bundle myself up in it on the chariot if its cold :D

Just asking OH for ideas as alternatives on the cardboard. Would be okay with cardboard if you could guarantee no rain on the day!
OH wants to know (nosey) how you've got involved with it, I can't remember properly?

Reactions: Jessey
Just asking OH for ideas as alternatives on the cardboard. Would be okay with cardboard if you could guarantee no rain on the day!
OH wants to know (nosey) how you've got involved with it, I can't remember properly?
The AQHA UK were invited a few years ago to represent the American Quarter Horse's and a friend was on council for them and got involved, and has gone back every year since, this year when the organizer put a call out to everyone involved for a chariot pony she instantly called me :D

Reactions: Trewsers
Could you use cardboard for the chariot with some polythene stretched tightly over it, rather like sticky back plastic effect almost? I think that would be too costly (sticky backed plastic) but some kind of almost stretchy plastic that would look seamless?

Reactions: Jessey
I finished my cape/cloak (what ever its called), I've gone for oversized, its fleece and almost big enough so I can wrap myself head to toe as I'll be in the cart probably about 3 hours with bare arms!
DSC_1890.JPG

I've decided to just make the chariot from cardboard and paint it with enamel paint, which is some what waterproof. Then use some kind of thin clear plastic to cover the whole lot, maybe cling film even, if its forecast to be wet.

I'm also debating using white spray chalk on my wheels, shafts and harness to get a more true to original look. Has anyone used spray chalk? does it wash off eventually? and out of fabrics in the machine? (my harness is webbing) or is it too easy to wash off that it will run in the rain?

Are you sure bare arms are essential? The Romans on Hadrian's wall i9n mid winter probably didnt go about with bare arms. I follow one or two popularising classicists on Twitter Mary Beard and Caroline Lawrence. Caroline Lawrence is a children's author and her website has brilliant guidance for tourism in Rome and elsewhere.

http://www.romanmysteries.com/

I would email her, tell her what you are doing (she like encouraging kids to dress up etc) and ask her advice on costume for the parade. Chariot too. I dont have the technical expertise to put this link in this post, but there has been discussion about racing chariots - being little more than baskets! I will look for it.

@Skib we are not dressing as general Romans, we are doing Ben hur, specifically the original movie and I have been told to be as close to the set dress as possible and I will be inspected before authorised to go out with the parade to ensure I am in costume for the movie given. If i can find skin coloured thermals im sure I can wear those but its only my arms being cold for a few hours, I will live :)

@Jessey even nude tights would give you a buffer on your arms if you cant find thermals and they are cheap enough, get a thicker denier and cut the feet out,you wouldn't see the edge under your arm guards :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
@Jessey re the cardboard, could you not paint it with PVA glue? Or maybe give it a coat of varnish? that might help to waterproof it?

newrider.com