need a little info on my gypsy cob

sue1954

Jan 27, 2007
nottinghamshire
my horse is nearly 2yrs old...we are going to drive him before riding him
he is a big fellow standing 15hh and lots of growing to do.
my daughter is the rider and she weighs 7stone lol
what age can we ride the horse....i have been told at 3yrs but was also told as my daughter is so small we can lightly back him in the summer.
just need confirmation really to anyone that has a large Cob....we are in no hurry as he has a lot of traing to go through yet.we are learners also so learning togearther with the horse but also with a little help.
Sue.

Hi Sue and welcome! Your boy sounds gorgeous.... can we see a piccy? We LOVE photos... :p

I'm not completely au fait on backing but my instincts say not to back him this year.... If he is only two, he may seem large and strong but he's probably just gangly and doesn't know what to do with all that body :rolleyes: Plus his joints are all still forming and strengthening... I would recommend waiting at least another year. Just because he is big doesn't mean he is mature enough... he will still have the mind of a two year old - immature and lacking in attention and confidence. There are other people who will be able to advise in far better detail than me, but I believe that the average horse matures at around 6, with only a year or so's variation either way. Do loads of ground work with him, leading, lateral work, handling etc. To me backing him just because he is tall would be like sending a tall two year old child to school, just because they are the same height as the four and five year olds...

As you say, you have all the time in the world and my recommendation would be to take it slowly...

Now.... *cough* - piccies??? :p

Good luck

Hi Sue and welcome! Your boy sounds gorgeous.... can we see a piccy? We LOVE photos... :p

I'm not completely au fait on backing but my instincts say not to back him this year.... If he is only two, he may seem large and strong but he's probably just gangly and doesn't know what to do with all that body :rolleyes: Plus his joints are all still forming and strengthening... I would recommend waiting at least another year. Just because he is big doesn't mean he is mature enough... he will still have the mind of a two year old - immature and lacking in attention and confidence. There are other people who will be able to advise in far better detail than me, but I believe that the average horse matures at around 6, with only a year or so's variation either way. Do loads of ground work with him, leading, lateral work, handling etc. To me backing him just because he is tall would be like sending a tall two year old child to school, just because they are the same height as the four and five year olds...

As you say, you have all the time in the world and my recommendation would be to take it slowly...

Now.... *cough* - piccies??? :p

Good luck
DONT KNOW HOW TO SEND PICS
LOL

Oh it's quite complicated, but worth the effort.... you need to open a (free) account with something like Photobucket.com (a popular choice on NR!!)

You download your piccies into your Photobucket account... then you check the box under the photos of your choice and scroll down to the bottom of your PB page and click on a box that says "Generate HTML & IMG code" - on the next page you highlight the text in the box that says "IMG for message boards" - right click to "copy" and then "paste" the link in your NR message...

And.... tadaa.....
Image001-9.jpg

Your photo gets to be seen by all and you get lots of compliments....

Honestly, it's not so complicated once you do it and sooooo worth the effort!!! :D

Oh he's lovely :D Well done on the photo posting! I woud agree with Domane though, in waiting another year to back him. :)

I bought my filly at 2,(Coloured cobby!) from the day I brought her home I started getting her ground manners worked on, I would regulary lead her down the lane to get her used to being out and about..seeing tractors,cars..

I bitted her as she was rising three and I started to long line her down the lane in the field, round the yard. By the time she was 3 - 4 she was great, and happy with me..manners to burn and willing to accept new things.. also traffic proofed!

I wouldnt start to ride him properley ( we all have different views on this lol!) till he had at least past 4, alougth cobs may look big and chunky and developed..its the bones underneath we cant see, which take longer to mature. I feel if you back young you are asking for problems when the horse is older...Back problems/Hip problems/arthitic joints

Your boy looks lovely, coloured cobs are my fave x

Lenny x

Oh he's gorgeous Sue!!! Love the white "mascara" and beard!!!

My mare has a beard too at the mo :p

I break lots of Gypsy cobs for ride/drive. I would say they are up to gentle driving at 3. Gentle riding at 4-5. I wouldn't dream of putting one in to hard work till they were 5-6. At that age you work on their body, before then you are working on their minds. Keep everything short and sweet, no reason why he shouldn't be backed when it turns 4, but go easy. Hammer them down the road and their joints will suffer. Heavy breeds mature later than finer horses. They don't stop growing till 6/7.

Hi Sue, he is lovely,I'm a lover of coloured cobs.My first horse was a traditional coloured and I still think you can't get a better family horse. We now have (among others) a heavy weight we got at 4, he's now rising 8 and only just really growing into himself.
I agree entirely with Alfies slave as regards backing, the most essential part of his education will be done from the ground anyway, particularly as the value of these lovely horses is in their laid back nature and with a good start they're anyones ride.Too many cobs are started without good training because they are so easy going,the difficulty is that as they mature and realise the strength in those powerful shoulders and neck, they become too strong for novice riders.
Your lad is only a baby yet, his best education will be in the field with older horses to teach him manners, our 6 month old knows who's boss in our field even though my others are very protective of her.I know its sooo tempting to want to get on and see them progress, but I think taking it slowly will mean it takes less time in the long run and your lad will be physically and mentally able to cope with whats asked of him.
Good luck.

A Thankyou And A Note About My Gypsy Cob Guinness

H everyone and to cathy who advised me to join new rider
thanks for all you'r comments ...i have taken onboard everything you have all said about training him..and will follow that advice, we now have a very special bond with each other...he loves me to scratch his backside....he nearly fell asleep on sunday while i scratched him. when i call him from the top field he gallops down shaking his head...he looks so happy....bit like me!
he eats his feed from the bucket and now and again takes his head out and kisses me... awwww.i just can't wait till its warm enough to bath him..he will look stunning when he is white again....and has the flowing mane and feathers
he is getting good now leading him..so taking him a walk maybe next week
up the bridal ways...which are just outside my cottage, and guinness is just across the lane in his 2 fields.

hya
me personally wouldnt worry about LIGHTLY back a heavy cob at that age aslong as its very lightly i have had cobs which have been driving since they were 2 1/2 and 3 and if they can pull a heavy exercise cart with two fully grown people on it am sure he will be fine with a light person on his back but 'BE CAREFUL' But you have to remember that horse which was driving at the age of 3 is a very heavy large cob a type to pull a living gypsy wagon it all varies in the horses strength,stamina, bone weight etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
hya
me personally wouldnt worry about LIGHTLY back a heavy cob at that age aslong as its very lightly i have had cobs which have been driving since they were 2 1/2 and 3 and if they can pull a heavy exercise cart with two fully grown people on it am sure he will be fine with a light person on his back but 'BE CAREFUL' But you have to remember that horse which was driving at the age of 3 is a very heavy large cob a type to pull a living gypsy wagon it all varies in the horses strength,stamina, bone weight etc.

Fraid I dont agree with that ( just to be awkward!:D ) I dont think it depends atall on wether its a heavy cob,stamina etc. infact Heavy Cobs develop later than more finer breeds, You find alot of people will hammer cobs round because they look developed, and are gusty and fun to do this on.

Alot of Cobs end up with lameness problems/Sidebone/back problems because of this idea.

At Appleby, I see youngsters hammered up and down the road and it makes me sick to be honest both ridden & in Harness What its doing on those porr hoss's joints I dread to think

In our day and age of vetinary advances, and a more in depth understanding of how horses develop skeletal wise, the days of breaking in early and earning a fast buck are over in my eyes.

So many cobs end up with arthritic problems, and lameness issues

You find alot of people will hammer cobs round because they look developed, and are gusty and fun to do this on.

Alot of Cobs end up with lameness problems/Sidebone/back problems because of this idea.

So many cobs end up with arthritic problems, and lameness issues

I so agree with you from bitter experience,my beautiful gypsy cob mare was PTS aged 10 yrs after stoically battling with arthritis of the pastern. I got her aged 6 yrs, thats why my youngsters are brought on slowly, although I intend to keep them for life and I don't need to make a living from them before selling them on.lucky for them..and me :)

Hiya and welcome to the board! super ned! prepared to get addicted!..I agree with the majority about backing when hes older, there is so much you can do with him before that...I have a 20 month old so i know how tempting it would be to hop on...lol...i so want to know what he feels like to ride..look on it maybe like learning to drive a car, it takes a while to get it right and before you get in the car you have to pass theory tests, and then you dont really learn how to drive until youve passed your test anyway...

There is so much you could do off the ground...Kelly Marks has done a couple of great books, perfect partners and perfect manners...there is loads in those books to keep you both occupied..then by the time you come to ride him, when hes say 4 ish, id say you will both know and trust each other and he will be mentally and physically mature enough to do it...or theres clicker training...long reining, roller, saddle..bombproofing...going out for walks...

Im glad youve decided to wait a while, you will benefit from it and he is less likely to get joint problems or shin splints...Best of luck with him...

I break lots of Gypsy cobs for ride/drive. I would say they are up to gentle driving at 3. Gentle riding at 4-5. I wouldn't dream of putting one in to hard work till they were 5-6. At that age you work on their body, before then you are working on their minds. Keep everything short and sweet, no reason why he shouldn't be backed when it turns 4, but go easy. Hammer them down the road and their joints will suffer. Heavy breeds mature later than finer horses. They don't stop growing till 6/7.
Hi I'v just brought a gypsy cob a couple of weeks ago I was told he was 4 years old and his ride and drive he was theathered and has been since he was 4 months on a feild so I brought him and moved to a proper farm iv recently come to learn that he isn't 4 he is only 2 he had big heavy shoes that was far to big for him iv now had them removed but now I'm very concerned how much work his done with his last owner and now his got a better life im concered if there's any damage to his back could u please give me some advice on my next steps wot to do and could he be ridden in the future many thanks I'll send 2 pics one when I first got him on a teather 20161203_110529.jpg and another now in his stable

Attachments

• IMG-20161122-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20161122-WA0005.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 9
newrider.com