Napping Nightmare :-(

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
When we first got Max, he napped occasionally for the first week - but with patient, positive riding he stopped and was fine for months. (Sept to January). Izzy took him all over the place and he was fine everywhere. Then strangles hit and he was turned out 24/7 for 3 months with Oscar and Amber with no work or even handling. Since then he has been very nappy. It's not every time but it is often enough to be frightening Izzy a LOT.

Before strangles he needed a little leg and patience. Izzy just had to not let him turn and nudge him forward. And he'd go after a minute or so and be fine. But now he rears and spins and she has neither the confidence or skill to ride him through it.

Tonight he was fine for 15 minutes, then started napping again. The RI hopped on as Izzy was very scared and he was AWFUL. All she did was keep his head turned away from Oscar and keep her outside leg firmly on - with release and praise as soon as he moved forward. But my god did he make her work! Plunging, bucking, rearing, broncing, trying to spin though she wouldn't let him. Once he was 15-20m away he'd move freely until they came back round the school to near the end Oscar was stood. And it would start all over again. He did this repeatedly for 5 or 6 laps. She rode till he trotted calmly past Oscar on both reins and then we put him away.

We can separate them if that would help. Leave Oscar and Amber together and put Max in with other horses? But they will still share lessons/pc rallies, go to competitions and clinics together. Izzy is petrified after seeing tonight's performance. He's done this 4 out of the last 7 rides but was worse tonight than ever after being good as gold when Izzy rode on Wednesday (also with Oscar).

I'm feeling very frustrated and at a loss. I can't expect her to deal with that but even if the RI rides a few more times, eventually Izzy will have to be able to ride through it herself. And he could be fine for a few rides then suddenly nap again. We could do the Buck Brannaman 'buddy sour" horse technique but I honestly don't think it's anxiety otherwise wouldn't he always do it? And do it from the beginning of the ride? It looks more like he co-operates for a while then thinks 'sod you, I want to be with my friend!'.

Teeth, tack and back all checked. His back is lacking in muscle tone but there was no soreness. So we have just been doing flat-work till he builds up some strength.

Any ideas :(

I think that he has had lots of change in his life over the last 6 months or so, and that perhaps he just needs time. I have heard so many stories of lovely horses/ponies displaying testing behaviour when they are settled in their new homes. My lovely Ben even did it with me. After owning him for about 4 months he would suddenly decide to stop whatever he was doing (sometimes in the middle of canter) and just plant himself. I almost went flying over his head several times and he simply would not move whatever I tried to do. I know that is not exactly scary behaviour like Max is showing, but it is still napping and I did have to learn how to deal with it. If my saintly Ben can behave like that, all horses can.

As for practical ways of dealing with his napping - can she ride him alone in the school for a while and see how he goes? If that is not possible, can you physically go and lead him away from Oscar and lead him/help her deal with the napping until he settles? Can twin 2 who I think is a more confident rider, get on him and ride him through it?

How long have you had him? Did you have him through last spring, I can't remember. Only reason I'm asking is that last night I witnessed just how much the grass can affect behaviour. 8yo TB, sluggish and lazy, turned out for a week to put a bit of weight on. Brought in last night to be ridden and totally bonkers. It's like he had gone from one extreme to the other and was actually scary to watch. I couldn't believe he was the same horse!

How old is Max now? YO's mare has been just the same this past couple of weeks. She is putting it down to a combination of her growing out of her compliant baby stage (she's 6 this year) and the grass. Fingers crossed you can work through this issue and that he settles down again soon. There's always something!

Yeah there is something about the 6s, bit like the terrible 2s with kids.

Given he tried it when he first came to you, it could be his default stress reaction (especially in new homes) and he has waves of anxiety which is why some days are better than others, and the added factor of spring grass could also be adding to it.

That's why my heart sank when I found out that Gracie is only 6 and not 8 :p

Thanks for replies. We have scaled back what we are asking of him. So basically just flatwork in a school and short walk/trot hacks. Partly to let him develop muscle/topline more gradually and partly to build his confidence by not asking too much of him.
I've withdrawn him from pc rallies and xc schooling that hexwas booked in for. But Im beginning to wonder if that's the wrong way to go : he's worse in a small space with Oscar like the school. He might be better having a blast on a xc course!
What do people think about separating the boys as he's so clingy? Ironically they ignore each other in the field. Oscar and Amber are always playing and Max is more aloof.
Separating them might just make him more stressed and its more change for him?

If he's not anxious all the time about oscars location it's less likely to be that he's buddied up too closely with him, I'd do a test taking Oscar out of the field and leaving max, see what reaction you get :) if he's not fussed in that situation separating them is less likely to help.
Has Izzy been more nervous generally since the enforced break? Could he be getting all het up because on some days he feels he isn't getting the leadership he needs? Then once he's in panic mode the RI getting on was closing the gate after the horse had bolted so to speak?

What happens if he is ridden in the school without Oscar being there? Nothing on that scale at all, but my share horse has a tendency to nap towards her riding companion in the school so can be easier to handle when her friend isn't there.

He's still not great tbh. He can nap at the gate too. I hope he settles soon... RI will ride him a couple more times then give Izzy a lesson on him.

Do as @Jessey said and see what he's like taking Oscar out the field. If he calls I'd section the field off so he's on his own or put him out with others.

Then I'd get a very good rider on him whether that be the RI or someone else. Someone who has plenty of experience dealing with young nappy horses before. I'd be riding him on his own keeping his concentration on me. He might need a very firm lesson and quickly, he's going through the Kevin's with a small light inexperienced jockey who he know he's frightening. To me it sounds like he's naturally nappy and due to the inexperience of the jockey along with all the changes he knows he can get away with it. No criticism to your daughter, brilliant little rider and most kids her age would stuggle.

I'd see what the rider thinks is the best way to ride him and go from there. They should be able to advise when's best for your daughter to ride. When riding with others at clinics don't stand with the others, keep him circling, bending his neck all this helps keep their focus on you.
I suggest getting someone else in to ride as I've seen this before the pony gets worse for the child as they simply don't have the tools or be able to read the horse to react quick enough. From what you've said I think you may need someone different than the RI.

Just a suggestion, how would you feel working Max through it yourself as it maybe once it's resolved he may need topping up so to speak (until Izzys stronger/and more confident), especially if he has a tendency to nap. I tend to try and resolve issues myself before calling others in as I can be consistent and I cannot afford to fail as ultimately it's my pony so I become very determined lol. If I didn't want to try myself I do know some fantastic riders in their late teens and 20s who I'd happily use who will give a 14.2hh a run for its money and have oodles of confidence which TBH is probably what he's aware Izzys lacking ATM so is sadly using it to his full advantage. x

agree wth Lissie

Id get someone else riding him. 6 is a testing age and I always advise people who ask me about buying horses, to treat a 6 year old as a youngster and be even more wary than with a 4 year old. My little mare Tiree did the same at 6 and I had to pay someone else to come and ride her for a few months. I stuck with riding in private lessons and in the paddock at home and I did have to get brave and just deal with it, it wasnt easy but she came right

Thanks everyone. Max totally ignores Oscar if he is removed from the field so I don't think its separation anxiety. I have noticed that he starts a session willing- ears forward. But after about 20 -30 minutes they go flat back and soon afterwards the napping starts. So I think he's telling us where his comfort/fitness limits are and we are respecting them and ending sessions when he is still relaxed and willing. No issues in the last week so we took him out to local stressage to do P2 and P7. He was as good as gold. Ears pricked and attitude willing. Even with Oscar in the warm up area! Fingers crossed.....

They scored over 64% too which was a bonus!! All I wanted was for Max to stay calm and well behaved. But he actually exeeded expectations which was great. Early days though so I'm still a bit wary. I'm sure there will be further challenges ahead.

newrider.com