My "new" BP.....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
I love my Racesafe but I bought it second-hand and although I've got used to the brown and blue two-tone colours over time, they wouldn't have been my choice. Now that I've started ridden competing, I wanted a BP that was a bit more conservative....yes...."Bright Colours" me actually wanted to tone it down! Ideally, I would just replace with the new regs one, but at two hundred quid, I'll keep the old one thanks. In the unlikely event that G and I ever tackle a BE 80, I'll upgrade, but I can't see that happening!!!

So.... being a cheapskate, I started wondering whether I could dye it...but only knew of Dylon dunk-it-in stuff.... and I didn't want to dye the beige interior too. Then I stumbled across Simply Spray's website....dye in a can!!! A quick email to ask which product would be suitable and an order was made. Customer reviews are good but a few said that coverage could be patchy....so I was a little concerned, but not put off.

Last night, I spent 30 mins masking up the inside of my BP with plastic and then it took about 30 seconds to actually spray!!

20171013_162529-600x1067.jpg

My fears were unfounded and one light coat has done the job admirably. I've touched in some of the edges this morning by spraying some dye into a pot and using a small artist's brush and now it will need to dry and cure for 72 hours but I'm chuffed to bits with the result. I even masked off the Racesafe logo to make it look authentic.

20171014_131546-600x1067.jpg

I expect Racesafe would be horrified!! Haha... For the record, the dye they recommended is their "outdoor version" which is waterproof too and shouldn't rub off when set or fade in sunlight.

That'll do for Janey!!

Last edited:
Wow! that looks like a new BP now - what an excellent idea I will be interested to see how it stands up to use......I am now frantically thinking of all the stuff I could dye with this! :D

Reactions: Trewsers
Which dye did you use?

My trusty opd BD fits like a glove and I love it, but it is so tatty and grey instead of black. Dying it would be a great idea.

Dont get too creative - I rely on you for safety Mary P.
The foam in a bp deteriorates after about 4 years and one is supposed to replace them - just as with old hats.
I am due to buy a new airoware bp - just rather a long drive to pick one up.
But it will be my fourth.

I appreciate that BP's age but to me they are a tad more "optional" than hats. In an ideal world we would all replace them every 4 years. Even a degraded BP will give you more protection than nothing.

MP, the company is Simply Spray and it is their "outdoor, waterproof" dye in midnight black.

True that there is no actual requirement for anyone to have an up to date bp - but my OH did bruise his spine in a fall - even though there was a layer of bp between his vertebra and the sand school.
That is one reason he stopped riding. When one is over 75 one really needs to take the best protection one can get.
It depends on the horse and the activity too. I pottered about all summer in oldish gear and not worrying - but when Grace and I are reunited, she is a big fast horse. And I've been suggested a share over 17.00 hands which is a long way to fall.

Just re-lacing my BP and it turns out that it's a RS2010 label. I thought it was older than that. The new BE rules from 2018 state that anything manufactured before 2009 will be invalid wear so it would seem that my 7yo BP would actually be perfectly acceptable for the time being.

I cant believe anyone confuses the acceptable standard for a bp with the year of manufacture. Apart from providing the earliest year of the manufacture, the standard has little bearing on the age or condition of the hat or bp.
This is from BETA:

"If you should have a heavy fall, your body protector should be checked immediately for dents. The foam will expand back to its original shape within 30 minutes; but if a dent is showing on examination, then it’s likely that this part of the garment has lost its impact absorption properties and should be replaced.

Hidden damage that a body protector may have sustained is also a good reason for avoiding second-hand garments or those with unknown histories. Taking good care of your body protector means that it will last longer within the three to five year recommended lifespan. So don’t leave it lying around at the yard or in the lorry to be chewed and trodden on. Spending too much time in a hot car or damp tackroom won’t do it any good either."
There was a time when NR helped beginners like myself by giving info on safety wear, helping beginners understand the ways in which riding and the teaching of riding had changed or was changing to make it possible and enjoyable for older or less able beginners.
I dont have time for this.

well it is each to their own absolutely. I would be with Skib on this one, Im glad your pleased with your BP but personally, I always replace mine (as i do my hat) after 3 - 4 years as recommended , I don't even wear my BP that much, only for XC but the foam will still have deteriorated, spraying your BP with dye may also have affected the foam, it’s not something I would risk - no offence intended , just my view. I also get my air jacket serviced every March or after a fall. I do cringe when I see people buying 2nd hand BP’s and hats, moreso for children.

I think it is each to their own, you don't need to wear a BP, you don't even need to wear a hat unless competing.
@domane is aware of risks etc. So her decision to make. I think you've done a really job.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
the guy next to us ride Spanish style, he breeds Spanish horses and breaks his own in - we cringe he wears no protective gear at all, don't think he has ever owned a hat or BP, hes mid sixties and don't suppose he will change now.His choice but the only thing we feel is that it does not set a good example when you are telling the grandchildren they cannot even get on with a hat on their head, tbh Emm only had a BP when she was 3 or 4 after that we didn't bother - although if she had been riding anything bigger than the shetties regularly we would have- my daughter never wore a BP until this year, after being Dumped by Charlie a year or so ago when she came to reback him she purchased one, considering he dumped her as soon as bum hit saddle and this time on landing she was a bit sore, but no concussion, whiplash or rib injury - just her wrist this time. she does not get on Gem now unless she has BP on - Hat has never been issue she has always worn one since she started riding 35+ years ago, how times have changed when I rode through my childhood/teens you never thought twice of jumping on bareback and going - no sign of a hat - couldn't afford one , then again you learnt very quickly to stay on no matter what - when hacking out you where lucky to meet a handful of cars in a couple of hours, you get that as soon as you step out of the gate now going about 3 times the speed they did in those days.

I replaced my hat and bp when I started backing the cob.
But I do know a rider who regularly hacks out and jumps bsja at home without a hat. Digs it out to compete. I couldn't do that because somewhere along the lines I would go plop!

@newforest a lady at my yard rides without a hat including jumping and hacking. I think she's daft, she has an 8 year old child. But to be blunt I don't really care what others do, the only head I'm interested in protecting is my own. She's old enough to know the risks so I let her get on with it.

There's one lady locally who rides her big rangy grey everywhere, at every speed, without a hat.

I yearn for that sense of freedom but not for a dinged head rather than a dinged hat (which has happened several times)!

Reactions: Lissie
@Jane&Ziggy I seem to go everywhere at top speed, but always in my hat even if riding to the field I have my hat on, it's simply not worth the risk.

newrider.com