Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

muzzle rubs

Discussion in 'Metabolic' started by caroline/halle, Apr 12, 2017.

1. caroline/halle

Does anyone have any ideas of how to stop muzzle rubbing both on nostrils and under chin? I have a shallow bucket purple one (shires i think?) But tried various ones and still same issue.
    He is current in a fatty paddock during day then muzzled in normal field at night so he can have time with his pals

2. carthorse

carthorse Well-Known Member

I used to buy a muzzle that was too big which seemed to do the trick.

tikkitti likes this.
  3. tikkitti

tikkitti Well-Known Member

Yep @carthorse is right, I've tried allsorts from a green guard to a fleece lined muzzle yet the very best solution is get a size up. My full is in a non fleece lined ex full muzzle and it doesn't rub. x

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. SeeingSpots

SeeingSpots Pugs, Ponies and Prosecco!

I use a green guard muzzle as tried every other muzzle out there and he got every one off. The green guard rubbed terribly, he's quite sensitive skinned. I vet wrapped all the edges thinly but thick enough that it stayed on and then I dug out one of his old fleece rugs and cut it up. I used the fleece to wrap the muzzle on top of the vet wrap and it now looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 22.18.49.png Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 22.19.03.png

No more rubs, it's comfy for him and he's still muzzled. I do have to wash the fleece bits occasionally and due to it being sewn on, I do this by just getting a scrubby kitchen sponge and using a little bit of fairy liquid to remove grease and build up. I then rinse it with warm water and either let dry naturally overnight or if I'm in a rush, I use a hairdryer. I sometimes have to use one of his little brushes (a face brush works well) to give the fleece a brush after it's dried as it doesn't always dry as soft which then can scratch him, but a good hard rub with a brush and it softens.

Seems a carry on I know but his face was battered at one point so for me, this was the only option.

6. caroline/halle

Kennedy keeps his on (most of time)so i tried sewing fleece on similar to like yours but just the underneath bit as that is where it is rubbing him..i think it might of made it too small even though it is a large as he has a big head to begin with ! Thinking of trying an xfull muzzle or if anyone has any recommendations if they have a cob with a big head too!

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties