Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Mucking out a shavings bed and dealing with a horse on box rest - help!

Discussion in 'Horse Care' started by Flipo's Mum, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Flipo's Mum

Flipo's Mum Heavy owner of a Heavy

So my Flipo has a alcrack in his hoof that has been resected and now has a plate over it and a bar shoe on. He's comfortable but I've to keep it clean and dust free. I've also to restrict movement so for the foreseeable, he's on boxrest and I've to only use shavings.
    I am a complete stable virgin (at the ripe old age of 36 and 15 years of horse ownership) and the sooner I get him out, the better, but in the meantime I'm open to ideas about how folk manage a similar set up with time constraints.
    This is what I do -
    1. He's on mats, the stable is 16x14 and it's American barn style with gaps under the partitions on three sides.
    2. I've got bedmax shavings as it's what I've been told to use by the vet. By one hour into our boxrest fiasco, he had shavings down behind the plate on the crack and I had to do a painstaking removal process on my knees with a dancing horse and a pair of tweezers. Clearly that wasn't going to be something I could repeat on a daily basis so despite the vet saying he wanted it to breath, I had to keep it covered and he's now sporting tights over the offending hoof and duct tape over the shoe. (And he's looking pretty sexy in his 40 denier stocking!)
    3. In the morning, I clean out poo, he hasn't moved much during the night and is laying down, so it's a relatively quick job. As I give him a treat ball during the day and he's a box walker, on a hunch, I pulled up the bed into banks and left the mats exposed during the day.
    4. At night it's usually a manky mess in the middle where I'd exposed the mats, but the banks are untouched and I clear out one wheel barrow worth of poo and wet shavings and then pull down the banks over the mats and add around half a bale of new shavings every two nights.
    So my questions are -
    1. Would you just mix in the new shavings with the old?
    2. Any other ideas about how to do things more efficiently? Everyone else is on straw at my yard so have no idea what to suggest.
    3. Am I being cruel with how little I'm giving him shavings wise?
    4. How often would you lift the mats and clear out properly? They are heavy rubber mats, the underside has one inch grooves for the pee to run under and down the drain and the upper side has bumps. There are five in the stable with a bare bit at the front with his buckets and hay box and water. Inevitably with him walking about, they move a little and some shavings gets stuck down between them. I clear a lot of it out and move the mats back together but I'm not religious about doing this every night.
    5. How often (if at all) should I completely empty the stable and start again?

I should say, flipo and I are not clean freaks, and we're not perfectionists, so I get that some folk would freak and how I'm managing things but does this all sound ok? Any tips?
    It's taking me about an hour in the morning and 2.5hours at night to sort him out and it's draining me. That does involve half an hour in hand grazing at both ends of the day though and I have to clean his hoof out and redress it at night so I'm just interested if anyone has any other ideas about efficiency and keeping him happy and comfy.
    Sorry for the length of this! Thanks for reading x

2. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Wow you and he have had a lot going on! I had no idea he'd had a resection, hopefully he'll be back out and about again soon, but meanwhile I can only sympathise with the amount of work you are having to put in. I presume he eats straw so not an option anyway? Bedmax always smells so nice and clean when you open a new bale, we used it up here at first until the straw was ready.
    Hmm. I think it's okay to mix old shavings and new? Can't really see taking the whole thing out daily is very doable??? Those mats are very heavy, they sound similar to ones we had when on livery, they weighed a ton to get out and hose down - but wee seemed to get under and shavings.
    It sounds like you're doing a good job, I can't really suggest much. Must be a nightmare if shavings were getting stuck too! Lol to the 40 denier!!!!!

3. Flipo's Mum

Thanks Trewsers. They want some hoof growth before he goes out so I imagine he will Be in for a while as his hoof hardly grows in winter sadly.
    TBH I had trouble getting him to eat at all, so no fear over him eating the straw, just that it's too dusty for his wound and now we're in shavings I think it will be easier to continue - I think I'd Be cleaning a lot more out day to day!
    I'm just conscious that I don't want things to be bad for him stood in there all day. And as much as I am not upset by others opinions, if I know I'm doing right by my horse, I am now sharing stables with other liveries and they are sure to pass judgement so I just want to make sure I'm doing ok, or if there is other stuff I should be trying.

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Trewsers

Ah right, so it might be for a good while....hmm.....it's good there are other liveries tho for him to have company. Anyone passing judgement is welcome to muck him out three or four times a day for you:pwell that's what I'd offer if they mentined anything!!!
    Lots and lots of hoof growing vibes coming to you.

6. MrC

MrC https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/

If he is a box walker and he hasn't to get anything down behind the plate if have straw down personally.

I wouldn't lift the mats but I would just put a thin straw bed down and just lift daily as needed. Less likely to get long straw down there than small shavings.

7. Flipo's Mum

Thanks Mr C but unfortunately the dick vet has told me to use shavings only as it's the dust from the straw that they are worried about. They are thinking that a bit of shavings can be pulled out if it's a problem but TBH, I found it unworkable on a daily basis as I don't have the time or energy to fight him so went for the tights option and the wound is looking good so far and he's not lame so hopefully that's a good thing.

8. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

@Flipo's Mum , I know I've asked you this before, but what is a "dick vet"? How is it different from any other kind of vet?

9. Flipo's Mum

Sorry Jane lol, the dick vet is just Scotland's version of a vet hospital like liphook.
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/vet/services/equine-services/hospital
    There's something historical about it being referred to as the dick vet because the guy who established it, William Dick, originally called it the dick vet, but then they renamed it but kept the dick bit. I love using the name when I speak to non horsey local folk. Their faces are a picture lol!

Kite_Rider, Jessey and Trewsers like this.
  10. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Well-Known Member

My yard often has horses on box rest on shavings. They very rarely lift the mats, maybe once a month at best. They just sweep the mats and relay the beds. They will not mix old and new shavings and I wouldn't either. I would put fresh shavings on the banks, or at the side if you don't have banks. People tend to have fairly thick beds and some deep litter so they only take the wet out weekly.

Hope Flippo gets better soon.w

11. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

I feel for you, did 4 months with ale and it was hell but the end result was a recovered horse so it was worth it.

I did pretty much the same as you are, never lifted the mats though, gave him a thin daybed and everything else in the banks. At night I would give him a larger bed.

I think a couple of months in his bed looked pretty rank so I took alot out and put a few new bales in on impulse but it was soon wrecked again.

When I put new shavings into the bed I put most of them into the banks and just a little ontop of his base.

Hope he's back out soon!

12. KP nut

KP nut Horsey problems: caused by ego; solved by gravity

Gosh what a nightmare for you. Can he not just be on mats with a little sprinkling or bank of shavings or pellets to wee on? Mats are pretty warm and comfortable and horses will lie down on them afaik.

13. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

When mine were stabled at night Bo would get 1 new bale a week put in, I normally bedded down with the old and put the clean to the banks and it would gradually mix in through the week when I threw the bed up to the banks daily. Jess on the other hand is a filthy mare and box walks so she just got a sprinkling of bedding on mats unless she was in a really big stable that meant I could bed the back and leave her room to fidget at the front, otherwise virtually the whole bed had to be removed daily.

I used to remove my mats once mid winter for a quick clean and again in spring for a really thorough scrub and disinfect, I also found stable zone powder sprinkled under them helpful to keep it fresh for longer. Top tip for stopping mats from moving, drill a tiny hole in the corners and tie wrap them together, they hardly move then :)

Healing vibes for Flipo xx I think I'd have done the same, covering it, tights is ingenious as it keeps shavings out and breathes :)

14. Jane&Ziggy

When Ziggy was box rested on shavings I used Bedmax too. He is quite clean and had a double size shelter as his box and he would typical wee and poo in one or two spots, so every day I took out the poo and dug out the wee (the shavings were laid straight onto the earth) and refreshed those bits, then changed the whole bed - 4+ bales - every other week. It was never smelly and he didn't get dreadful stains either.

15. Gimp

Gimp Gimpy Gimp Gimp

sorry to hear about the gorgeous Flipo, I hope things improve for him. Things are so much harder when they are huge horses!! I hope you find a routine that suits you/him x

16. Kite_Rider

Kite_Rider Cantering cabbage!

Sorry to hear about your gorgeous boy @Flipo's Mum - no useful advice lovely, but I hope he continues to recover and that you find an easier solution. ((hugs))

Trewsers likes this.
  17. Ruskii

Ruskii Well-Known Member

After fireworks last night, I now have a lame horse on box rest too :(

I have mats and shavings, during the day I lift the bed and he has a sprinkling down absorb the wee and at night I pull it down. Mine is filthy during the day, night time he is fine. I hate bedmax though so use smaller chip shavings. Not ideal for you though. I love the tights idea, that's brilliant !

18. Trewsers

@Ruskii sorry to hear yours has gone lame:( darn fireworks! Mind you, there is always something, mine went lame the other week again and I'm still not entirely sure what set her off.

19. lauren123

lauren123 Well-Known Member

Ahhh box rest!!!
    Its a right PITA! Sox used to be very good at it. Now he wont box rest, but that's another story!
    I would. Muck out in the morning, taking out all the poo on the top first then go around and find the hidden poo , normally by throwing it against the wall. And the pee , generally I know where he pees so its not too bad. I would then give him enough bed to poo and pee on and again later on skip out and pull the bed down. I normally like banks purely so I can pull more down if needed and don't have to open up another bale of shavings! Also with havig a box walker I know how hard it can be. I found atleast with sox if I give him a long but thin bed he will mess it up completely if I give him a long thick bed he will still mess it up so I have found he is atleast cleaning on a short thick bed. When I had to boc rest him for lami and the shavings were up to the door. Because sox also likes to pull hay out all over his bed. I was using... 4 bales of shavings per week!! 4 shavings normally last me a month!

I only ever pull the matts up in summer. Give the stable a really good jet wash and the matts, normally wash both with virkon and give them a good 3 days or so to dry. So his stable is normally out of action for a week atleast :)

Trewsers likes this.
  20. Jane&Ziggy

21. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

I use shaving (bedsoft) similar and the boys are on matting.

I would do as you have been doing

During the day lift the bed and bank to the back and just a small amount of shaving on the mats in the middle.
    Clean middle out at night and put down a thinnish bed down (they don't need big beds they sleep on a on grass all year round)
    Repeat.
    I never mix the new with the old, I out the new at the back and old in the middle then bring forwarded when needed.
    Don't lift the mats at all. Mine gone down in Nov and get lifted again in march.
    I would not remove all and start again at all - if you use the messy stuff as a day bed and remove then bring the fresher stuff forward you will over time have changed the bed.

Hope Flipo is OK

mystiquemalaika likes this.