Maximum Travelling Time?

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
For those who compete, or just travel to fun rides/clinics etc... What would be your maximum travel time to compete/work your horse that same day and return home?

I'm canvassing opinion. Gracie travels well, doesn't sweat up and I'm in the process of upgrading to a newer, bigger trailer (not that Betty is small, but she's a bit elderly, despite being in fine fettle!)

A friend of mine lives in a remote area of Wales and is doing rather well in dressage, so a 3-hour travel time for her and her heavy cob is pretty standard to get anywhere and he copes fine.

I just wondered what restrictions other travelling NR-bods apply?

Ta

I'm not competitive but I have traveled to various events over the years.
Two hours would be my max one way, simply because I can get to good venues in that time frame that would offer qualifying classes.
Most fun rides around here you can get to in an hour. I can do the moors in that.
We do have four indoor school venues in the one hour slot. I wouldn't need to go further.

We box out to lessons, clinics, comps etc. about twice a week. I will travel up to an hour each way if we are returning on the same day. I have travelled him 2 hours to get to camp, but wouldn't box home on the same day. It's equally for my driving sanity than for his wellbeing. I find driving tiring and if I knew I had a long drive home then this would ruin the outing for me. We are aiming for a couple of dressage championship shows this year, and if we qualify for them I will get an overnight box so we don't have to drive back on the same day as competing. I enjoy converting my lorry into a sleep and it's a little holiday for me.

I do 2-2.5 hours each way to go out with my favourite hunt. Going isn't so bad but going home after a long tiring day can be hard. I have a lorry because Raf doesn't travel well in a trailer.

If I was asked to drive 2.5 hours in my car for work I'd say no way, I'll get the train thanks very much!

In France we were spoiled for venues and didn't really need to go anywhere further than 2 hours away.
But in New Zealand we often went 4hrs each way for a day show... if it was more than 4hrs we'd stay there all weekend.

I've travelled 6hrs to compete, but our shows normally ran over a couple of days. I wouldn't go more than 4 hours each way in a day to keep max daily travel time under 8 hours, but only if the horse is used to hauling lots because its physically quite taxing on them.

Thanks. Was talking to my YM about this yesterday and I guess you need to factor in the quality of the journey, whether the roads are bendy or if you have to do lots of stops and starts. I guess motorway driving is less arduous for the horse.

That definitely makes a difference, it's all the stop, start and turning they have to really work at, once cruising on the motorway they are generally much happier, I had camera in my trailer so could always keep an eye on how they were doing. When I first got into western my nearest show was an hour and a half from home.

I have travelled up to 2.5 hours each way on a single day with the ponies. PC rallies and comps can be MILES away. In March I am travelling 3-4 hours to Weston Lawns but that's a stay away show.

A friend of mine lives in a remote area of Wales and is doing rather well in dressage, so a 3-hour travel time for her and her heavy cob is pretty standard to get anywhere and he copes fine.
Ta
Ooh, which remote part of Wales @domane ? I have a few friends here in the Wild Welsh West who do lots of dressage :)

I'd travel 2.5 hours each way in one day. Depends on the horse as well would have be a well travelled horse who didn't find travelling stressful.

Mine actually likes the vehicle. I do have to watch she doesn't untie herself and self loads into anyone's trailer! Maybe she views it as a mobile stable because she isn't keen on getting out at the other end. :rolleyes:

For a day show 1 1/2 hours each way. For a overnight show 2 1/2 hours. B is 21 so I wouldn't push her any further than that.

newrider.com