Manuka Honey, wounds and sarcoids *graphic images* UPDATE!!!

Skye94

Most accident prone horse owner
Jan 6, 2006
Near Aberdeen - Laurencekirk
Hi all, my mare managed to put a hole in her hind leg 2 weeks ago. We have no idea how she has done it, but she had a skin flap (half of it was missing) and the wound was down to the bone. It's about 5" long and 3" wide. There is a flap of proud flesh, which the bottom of it is healthy but we are getting this taken off next week.

I have been looking on the forum for pics of wounds that have healed with Manuka Honey but I can't find any. Just wandered if folks would mind sharing some pics of before, during and after?

While I am on the subject, has anyone ever used Manuka Honey on sarcoids? Did it work? Again, pics if possible.

Thanks loads in advance

Last edited:
Poor mare. I think mystiquiemakaila on here has mentioned manuka honey and it's uses. Hopefully she'll see this thread and others too. I've heard of it but not had any experience. Healing vibes to your mare btw.

Hiya :) i cant help with pics but can give experience. I use manuka honey and love it :) mystique had a terrible fencing injury to the point they considered skin grafts.she also had proud flesh.now what we done was bandage with manuka honey it helps stop proud flesh and healed the holes beautifully.she was left woth some scarrimg but not bad enough that if for any reason she was to be shown you could have covered it with make up.
Malaika also had a fence injury and again the same method was ised with a lovely clean leg left at the end.for injuries that could become proud its better to bandage aswell for a peiod till your out of the unsafe zone :)
Another good mix though is also iodine and sugar,an old fashioned remedy but very good,used for lots of gashes and deep holes but not in conjunction with proud flesh.
As far as sarcoids go i have no experience but if your on fb join the turmeric users grouo as alot of people are having very good effects with turmeric :)

Just to add the only thing to watch is if come the time when bandages are removed its hot and flies are around manuka honey or the iodine and sugar mix attracts them,i changed to vetalintex once bandages were off which is a gel that keeps the wound a healthy moist and continues to heal it from the inside out just like the honey etc.by the time my bandage were removed there wasnt much healing left to do so this just helped finish the job off :)

Hiya thanks for the advice!

She is getting bandages changed weekly by the vet who uses a cream on the wound pad and then applies it to the wound and bandages it all up. Would a vet be ok changing to Manuka? Or should I wait until the proud flesh is cut off and I'm doing the bandage changes? The vet is really impressed with the wound itself so that's a good thing!!

Poor mare wants to go out in the sun but will be confined to a stable for months :(

My vet likes manuka honey but everyone is different,mystiques bandages were changed daily though so manuka honey may or may not be suitable at the moment until you can change them abit more frequently,ask your vet though he may want to continue as you are untill you are in control of bandage changes,i was lucky my vet let me do mine from day one as mystique didnt do box rest (also something im glad my vet was on side with)so she went out daily with a bandage upto her stifle :) so daily changes were needed but the results were fantastic.i am also a great believer in having them moving even for abit as the blood flow helps,are you allowed to hand walk her at all?i know not all vets are as helpful as mine when it comes to this though.

She has a big bandage due to where the wound is, she pulls it down a lot. I take her out the stable to muck out so she's gets a bit of freedom. She also rears, bucks and jumps when it's feed time! Haha!!

I can't wait to be able to change her bandages, and I will slather on the Manuka honey!!

I would post a pic but it's horrid haha.

Have a chat with your vet,they may let you take charge of the bandage sooner so you could change them abit more often or at least show you so you can do some changes between their visits.mystique was from coronet band to stifle hers slipped if left for 2 days so fully understand its not easy.the vet was good taking a couple of hours showing me how to do it properly.
Lol she sounds full of good spirits though which is a good sign :) give a warning in the title so people know but we dont mind gory pics its a good learning experience for us all and a good diary for you :)

Winnie did this in a cattle grid. It was down to the bone, Manuka honey and Pevidine healed it and got rid of all the dead tissue. She is left with a tiny bald patch about the length and size of a little finger.

Not used Manuka honey but have heard good things about it and also saw a bit of a tv programme the other night with a bit about manuka honey which was interesting. It is certainly something I'd ask the vet about. I'd consider using it on Rubic is need be

Sarcoids, on the other hand, I wouldn't put honey on, in fact I wouldn't put anything on a sarcoid that wasn't recommended by a vet. They are funny things and loads of people try different things, toothpaste was a big one if I remember rightly but IMO you shouldn't mess with sarcoids. If you are concerned about one I'd speak to your vet and leave well alone unless they suggest otherwise.

Thanks everyone. All these comments are so good to hear. Just had a wee cry to myself about it, since it happened 15 days ago.. Think it's sunk in.
I will attach a pic for you all.

I only have experience of one of my sons been advised to use Manuka honey when he had rather a large area of skin removed due to skin cancer (about 6" x 3") - It healed beautifully and just looks like an area of pigmented and rough skin now - barely a year later.

My other son who had a similar op, but back before any hospital would dream of recommended using such a thing for after care, has a very ugly and uneven area of skin that looks rather reminiscent of the sort of craters you see on pictures of the moon.

I would even try it on sarcoids if it were me, but I guess it might be wiser to run the idea past your vet first off? :unsure:

Never worry, Winnie's was not far off that when she first did it.

The body and nature has a massive ability to heal. Given a few months that will be right as rain

Whack some Manuka on that on a clean dressing and it will work wonders. It's starting to granulate up a treat.

Can you get cotton wool free dressings? It's such a vexation having the debris left over from that cotton wool based dressings

Last edited:
I would not put Manuka honey anywhere near a sarcoid.

Manuka honey encourages the growth of granulation tissue, which it is why it is so good for wounds. If you put that on a sarcoid, especially a lesion that has formed at the site of injury, or is ruptured, you could cause it to grow.

Infact if your horse has sarcoids, and sustains a serious injury, it would be advisable to take tissue samples from any growth of granulation tissue to ensure you are not exacerbating the growth of a sarcoid, as in that instance, the wound would not heal. You can also have sarcoid growth within granulation tissue, its quite common, as sarcoids tend to grow at the site of injury.

Similarly the application of Manuka honey on proudflesh can cause excessive growth of proudflesh, it is best used on healthy tissue (like after the removal of proudflesh.

I have had great success with Sarc-Off, which was initially recommended to me. Growth dropped off in a forthnight, left healthy skin underneath.

Bandage Issues

So Lils wound has got bigger with the proud flesh etc and now I'm really struggling to get a bandage to stay up on the wound. I tried big bandages but they slip and I've tried smaller bandages but they fall down!!

How do you guys bandage awkward areas?!

Ok so my girly is now allowed out in a field during the day as she was starting to go a bit mad indoors. She has also decided that she no longer wants to wear bandages as she keeps throwing them off!!

Since she no longer wears bandages, I want her hair to return to normal on her leg. It has started peeling off in clumps ( I think it's all the grease? ) anyways, does anyone know of a good shampoo that will help remove all the grease and dead hair without being harsh on her leg?

newrider.com