Making things - updated

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Well, I'm currently at home due to work having no work for me until September, so to fill my time decided to make a few things, first up was a new post box, ours was literally falling to bits, so off I went, bought wood and cobbled a new one together!
First pic was work in progress, second post paint. Then I got the wood bug (not done any woodwork since school) and decided to make a bird box - have to say I have had so much fun making these, all by hand too and while neither are perfect by any means I'm proper chuffed with how they turned out and just wanted to share.IMG_0013.1.jpg IMG_0016.2.jpg IMG_0021.1.jpg
I haven't put the lid on the bird box yet as I want to use a strip of leather for the hinge, next project may be a picture frame but I need to practice my mitres for that!

Fantastic! Aren't you clever!!

What do you do as a job... hat there isn't anything for you until Sept?
I sell new homes for a small developer, new site running behind so isn't ready to launch yet, I could have given notice and found another job but I like the hours and autonomy I get with these guys so am taking some time out.

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh I so envy you - I used to be always making things back in the day with my boys when they were kids...snake hotels, rabbit hutches, even a state of the art Rat mansion. I would give anything to be back there doing all that again. I have to say I made a green house midge door all by myself - built a wooden stable from scratch - made a mounting black for an incapacitated friend (now I have one made for me :eek: how time flys and things change!) made wooden jumps, you name it I gave it my best shot. I miss all that but really just not able for it these days.:(

Oh I so envy you - I used to be always making things back in the day with my boys when they were kids...snake hotels, rabbit hutches, even a state of the art Rat mansion. I would give anything to be back there doing all that again. I have to say I made a green house midge door all by myself - built a wooden stable from scratch - made a mounting black for an incapacitated friend (now I have one made for me :eek: how time flys and things change!) made wooden jumps, you name it I gave it my best shot. I miss all that but really just not able for it these days.:(

Oh I love the sound of a rat mansion!!! Wonderful. When I was a kid my mum was super with hammer and nails and made me a guinea pig complex:Dthey were great hutches she did. I haven't inherited her skill tho!!

Reactions: Kite_Rider

Oh now Mrs C that is clever, I doubt I could manage anything bigger than what im doing just now, although I have been reliably informed I may be required to build a 'log cabin' in the future :eek:
It was quite funny last week though when the post lady arrived with my black and decker workmate! I was so delighted and she thought I was bonkers!
Mum was much the same, she hated it when her health got too bad for her to be able to walk in the countryside, I do think sometimes we take for granted what we have right now and only realise how precious those gifts are when we can no longer do them.

Oh I love the sound of a rat mansion!!! Wonderful. When I was a kid my mum was super with hammer and nails and made me a guinea pig complex:Dthey were great hutches she did. I haven't inherited her skill tho!!

I bet you have Trewsers, it's amazing what we can achieve when we put our mind to it. :D

I doubt it, it's very rough and ready, besides which I'm happy just to make some as gifts for my nature loving friends and relatives. I've made my first picture frame today too

It's great you can make things as gifts, what wonderful pressies they make. Well, anything home made I feel is always nice.

It's great you can make things as gifts, what wonderful pressies they make. Well, anything home made I feel is always nice.
Me too, always love something that's been made with love and a bit of thought and effort, good job my friends and family feel the same :)

Here's todays offering, you can't see the detail on the fabric but it has little hearts all over it :) I need to add a little flower to the band and a big press stud before it's finished but am rather pleased.Bag1.jpg Bag2.jpg Just wanted to share, back at work next weekend so I'll stop posting silly pictures - promise.

Here's todays offering, you can't see the detail on the fabric but it has little hearts all over it :) I need to add a little flower to the band and a big press stud before it's finished but am rather pleased.View attachment 88499 View attachment 88500 Just wanted to share, back at work next weekend so I'll stop posting silly pictures - promise.

Oh that is just super cute:D:D:Dhow clever you are!!!

newrider.com