Lost Motivation?

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Anyone else struggling for motivation just now?

I honestly just don’t have any, wanted to ride yesterday but Kia came In like a hippo despite being covered to the ears with two rugs.

He had mud up to his mid ribs under the rugs and his face had about and inch caked All over and his legs and tail were like dreads. :(

Now normally I brush off the bits the tack goes in and throw it in but even I couldn’t believe how manky he was. It was his first day out after being in however so was probably a protest :rolleyes:

I’ve got Logan to get out this year as well and I’m great when I’m there and riding but the though is what defeats me sometimes.

Yes I’m moaning feeling a bit low

I've not ridden today though I planned to, jess was snoozing in the sun this morning and by the time she moved the wind had picked up, i could still go round the estate but not feeling it so just pottering about instead and at least hank isn't upset by us going out... All excuses really :cool:

Reactions: MrC
This is the worst time of year....fields are soggy and muddy, horses are permanently filthy, it is cold and still getting dark early. This is the time of year when it feels like all work and no play.

I'm sure you're not the only one, MrC. It will pass.... Don't beat yourself up about it.

Next month the clocks go forward!!!

Reactions: MrC
I am a bit defeatist / un motivated atm. I sorely miss my arena. It's something we will be sorting this year. I don't always have enough confidence to hack out - it can be windy here and sometimes I don't just feel up to it plus we are still getting to know each other. I miss riding about my fields but they are soggy and muddy in places. Bring on the summer!!!

Reactions: Bodshi and MrC
I think everyone on here is probably sick of me moaning about how this is the worst winter, wet fields, icy road etc etc I have lost all interest in riding for the last couple of months, I went out on thursday morning for a quick hack and that was the first in 3 weeks...so you are definitely not alone ..Bring on some dry weather...PLEASE :rolleyes::)

I've just been for a rather cold hack. So no one's missing anything. My fingers were cold even with my gloves on. My cheeks are really cold as well. I'm still trying to get into a new routine. Feed in one place tie up area in another place. So its all taking longer than I want. It's supposed to be easier having them home. Isn't it. I think it will be easier when it dries up a bit.

Reactions: MrC and Trewsers
I wouldn't have ridden either if Raf had come in in that state, in fact I'd probably have cried. Good old Kia though - bet he thoroughly enjoyed himself getting mud into every possible crevice. Any photos?

I think it's natural to be unmotivated at this time of year, there's no joy in riding in crap weather and rotten ground conditions. But hopefully in a few weeks there'll be a little bit of warmth in the sun and the birds will be nesting, lambs springing about, early flowers out, leaves opening and we'll all feel better. I'm really hoping so anyway! Please, please don't let it rain all summer ...

I think it's natural at this time of year, it's not easy is it? I think most horse owners are ready to pack up and move to Tenerife permanenty by February lol!

This time last year I felt unmotivated I felt like I was going through the motions because I felt that's what I should be doing. Entering clinics, shows but not really enjoying it. Horse was lovely but always knew he'd be sold on and I never got that out the back of mind so never felt I fully enjoyed it. Over summer I didn't have a horse to ride and missed it so much now I've got another I think I don't want to waste any time if something happened to Lottie I wouldn't want to look back and think "I wish I'd ridden her more when I could of" I also adore riding her and hunt every week so this keeps my motivation up in the week. She's currently off games and I miss it so much already, I normally ride her 6 days a week.

I think what I'm trying to say is it doesn't really matter how much you ride it's are you enjoying it, that's what it's all about. No point forcing yourself to ride in horrible miserable weather for sale of it. Kia certainly won't mind and I'm sure he pulls the hippo look off quite well :p

Reactions: MrC and Cortrasna
I feel your pain! I haven't ridden in 8 weeks now - probably the longest I haven't ridden ever, unless I have been unwell -just cant get motivated. As @joellie has said above we really, really are getting the very worst miserable, wet, icy high winds damned awful winter ever. :( spent 3 hours yesterday retrieving Dolly and the donks from a very long trip out on their own - through the forestry up HUGE hilly boggy tracks to eventually find them happily munching on a very big lush cow pasture field :O The safest and quickest way home was around the lanes - my poor old Mr.C and I were just knackered - I had forgotten my inhaler too so I nearly expired there and then lol! It did occur to me that I really am starting to feel I am not able for looking after my little herd - all Ok on every day stuff but if an emergency kicks off, physically I am well and truly Fe**ed! :(

So yes I think perhaps I am feeling a tad low too - I am sure both you and I will bounce back with a bit more daylight and some more friendly weather - chin up Mrs! :p

Reactions: joellie and MrC
Well Im sending both of you @MrC & @Cortrasna and anyone else who's feeling it some huge happy, pick you up out of the 'lows' vibes. I think we are all struggling a bit about now, I know I am, I'm sick of being cold, wet and miserable and I just feel like this winter has dragged on way too long, even my normally happy out in any weather Belle has been longing to come inside for a while each evening, just to get some respite from it... roll on spring.

Just rememer how lucky we are to have them in our lives whether we're riding or not. Does anyone remember a time when they didn't have a horse but longed for one. I remember and madly wanted the responsibility of having the hard work even in winter, must have been mad still am. Take a moment to just enjoy it, who cares whether you'r riding or not, it's a hobby. Clocks change next month, grass will start growing, fields will dry up. They'll be more time to ride and no mud caked ponies to brush, and pub rides!

I didn't ride all weekend but spent 8 hours out there yesterday working my butt off and another 6 today more pottering about than grafting and I did thoroughly enjoy that, after jess' lameness I try to ride at every opportunity, but you cant feel bad when you don't, I know Jess won't hold it against me :) and I enjoy the work as much as riding.

Reactions: Lissie
Thanks everyone.

It’s not the chores, I use those as me time anyway but I’m missing riding but I just don’t have the mojo to do it. Once I’m in the saddle I’m as happy as Larry lol but getting there is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Kia was in all last week for worming but I was working and doing let’s (prepaid overtime) so no riding time. Had time sat but with the mess he was in I just couldn’t find the mojo to scrape him off and tack up :(

Hoping to go a little trip on Tuesday locally so I’m crossing my fingers it kick starts my mojo. I enjoy going little outings :)

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I'm struggling too, though I came back from a short holiday & decided I was going to get my act together - he'd put on weight & I want it off before the spring since he's already got extremely serious rotation & really cannot take another bout of laminitis. So riding at least 5 days a week come what may, but the state of the tracks & fields mean it's roadwork which is a) boring & b) short hacks since he also doesn't need excessive concussion. I'm also trying to get a short lesson a week but after the first one the teacher was ill and no, it wasn't that we were so bad she's now in therapy!

I think I have the incentive because I know I need him in work to keep his insulin sensitivity in acceptable bounds, it's a welfare issue & that can't be ignored just because I don't feel like it.

He probably would of been offended if you went and scraped all his hard work off anyway :D

I hope you get some drier weather soon, it's really not easy at this time of year, but the good news is we are getting closer and closer to the better weather.

It’s not the chores, I use those as me time anyway but I’m missing riding but I just don’t have the mojo to do it. Once I’m in the saddle I’m as happy as Larry lol but getting there is an entirely different kettle of fish.
That's exactly how I am, I want to do it and I feel on cloud 9 when I have, but the bit in the middle is lacking just now :( a peek of sunshine and I'll be on like a shot though, its just the grey weather for me I think

I dont know anyone that is motivated right now lol. I planned to ride today but have a really bad chest infection with a horrible cough and the cough has caused me to pull a muscle in my back under my right shoulder blade, itsbloody killing me! And killed today's motivation along with it!

I was looking at the hacking tracks on google maps last night, there is miles and miles of off road hacking just through the next village and last year there was so many path ways i didnt get to explore so i am excited to do that this year but as i was looking last night i just felt depressed thinking will the nice weather ever get here and will the ground ever dry up!?

I know its spring when the dairy farm around the corner from my field let the cows out lol! Currently field is empty, cows tucked away nice and warm.

I am not lacking motivation for field chores though either! But i stay warm doing chores, out riding i am freezing! Especially because we can only stay in walk because the grounds so wet everywhere, the horses feet are going about 2/3 inches down with every step! So wet everywhere :( bring on the summer!

I know I feel bad as well about not riding as Kia should be getting ridden so as to help his topline, I just can’t seem to get the right frame of mind to do it, and it’s just walking and building up so not anything we aren’t already good at :)

Going for a wee outing, not as originally planned but that’s hopefully going to happen on Saturday now :) He is using his amazing bombproofness to show my friend and her youngster a steady leader for some hacking outings :)

Reactions: Prjsmk
I love lunging. I sometimes don't have the time to ride. Like today I finished work later so not enough time to ride, but rather than leaving the boys stood in the field doing nothing I have given both a quick 10 minute lunge before dark. I therefore feel that I have done something to keep them fit. It actually helps keep me motivated.

newrider.com