Lost dog - thumbs up to the police

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
On my way to work I came across a dog cowering in a lay-by in the middle of nowhere, but quite close to the junction of the A19. He looked very cold and lost but when I got out of the car he was obviously also very nervous and started to run towards the A19. Got back in pronto and he settled himself back down - still looking extremely miserable and scared. I rang 118 and got the number of the RSPCA but when I rang it was a volunteer who 'just did cats'. After ringing the dog warden and the RSPCA national helpline, I finally discovered that I should ring the police, which I did, and to my surprise a van arrived at the scene within about half an hour with a male and female police officer. They did seem a bit surprised to be there and said really they weren't equipped to deal with dogs and the RSPCA should have attended. However they were really nice about it and obviously quite keen to help.

The dog didn't attempt to run off when the police woman approached him, I think he'd given up by then. I thought he might snap as he looked so nervous but he didn't - police man was armed with pepper spray just in case. After making a fuss of him they got hold of the bit of broken rope that was attached to his collar and tried to get him in the van but he wasn't at all sure. The police woman went through into the front of the van to get something, but he suddenly caught sight of her through the clear door of the cage in the back of the van and anxiously jumped in towards her - she was quite chuffed that she'd made a friend.

Last I saw they were heading off to Tesco to get water and food for the dog, before trying to find out where they should take him.

Poor dog, he looked like a GSD x border collie type. Long black hair with just a bit of tan and white on his paws - very pretty and although thin and dusty his ears were clean and his coat looked as though it had been in good condition, and he wasn't at the stage of ribs sticking out etc, just very tucked up.

I wonder whether he was a yard dog who'd been scared of fireworks, broken free and got lost. Similar thing happened to the YO's dog a couple of years ago, she jumped over a gate and ran away and the dog warden said they just keep running and don't stop until they can't carry on. Luckily she found her dog.

So, if anyone knows of a missing dog found near the east/north/south yorkshire borders please contact the Selby dog warden! Or alternatively if you are looking for a dog to rehome ... I was very tempted myself but don't think our dog would get on with another adult male.

Poor dog, what a shame.

Kudos to you for staying with him until he was collected. And well done to the two cops, it's nice to hear of them improvising with success!

How good of the police to come out. My dads dog was attacked very badly by a 'pit bull' type dog completely by surprise as they were walking their kind elderly dog past the house, they couldn't get the dog off who had clenched onto their dogs neck. They rang the police and the police said they weren't interested in a dog on dog situation. They eventually got the dog off and the owner tried to run off!

Dog on dog, and abandoned dogs etc the police don't deal with - there sadly aren't enough police officers to cope with serious emergencies a lot of the time - and I'm meaning life/death situations. The RSPCA is the body responsible for this - but sadly they too do not have sufficient staff to respond.

Glad it worked out - most officers are not against turning out for things like this - but it is the sheer lack of numbers which prevents it. It also could have caused a serious accident if it had wandered into such a fast/busy road.

I rang police about two terriers loose on a busy road once, was too dangerous for me to stop. They went and checked it out and rang me back, sadly they didn't track the dogs down but they tried.

We have just had an 'interesting' situation with 6 found ponies. RSPCA not intersted, BHS very helpful in telling us the legalities, calls to police not as emergency' eventually gave us contact with some one who knew the owner!!

Poor little dog, I hope he finds his owners, or if he has been dumped a happy new loving home. Good on you for stopping, and defo thumbs up to the officers x

Just rang the kennels that I thought he might have been taken to and they do have him - said he's settled down now and is a lovely dog. But he only has 7 days to be claimed, then if they can't rehome him ... I've been looking at online sites like DogLost and the Pet Register, but can't find him listed as a missing dog anywhere. Do people not care that they've lost a dog? You'd think they'd have been ringing all the dog wardens in the area. Unless he has been abandoned of course. He was in a layby, so maybe someone just pulled over and kicked him out of a car.

I think the rational behind the RSPCA advising me to call the police was the safety issue - it was one of those automated services, I narrowed down the options to 'loose dog on road' and found out that if it was a loose dog on the motorway I had to ring the Highways Agency and if loose on another road, ring the police.

I know when these things happen, like a dog getting attacked by another loose dog (that must have been terrifying juliecwuk) or found horses you just expect to be able to ring someone sympathetic and have them come and deal with it - all those cosy programmes about the RSPCA, preferably including Rolf Harris, would seem to suggest that you can ring them, but it seems that really no-one actually cares! I'd like to think that if there was a group of horses loose on a road the police would organise some kind of round-up to prevent a nasty accident.

Anyway, big pat on the back for those two nice police people that came out yesterday. I hope their efforts weren't in vain.

Can I just say, The alarming truth is I used to do rescue runs for Staffys on 'death row' Unfortunaley council/police pounds do generally have 7 days to find a home/owner etc and sometimes 7 days extra grace. They are then destroyed regardless of breed and temperment.

The rescue runs I used to do worked tirelessly to find a secure rescue place anywhere in the country to help the dog have a chance.

This dog may not be getting a chance:frown:

When Tanis was sick and eating throw the front door etc the police were great and so was the dog warden.

I have to say it was terrifying knowing my dog was not safe in the house where I left her OH and I where frantic until we tracked her down and got her back.

So thank you for caring.

newrider.com