Livery issues!

Lemontree

Aug 14, 2016
Grateful for some advice please folks. My horse went to a yard on a working livery agreement, she was deemed unsuitable by the manager (even though she has never had issues on working livery before) my agreement states if your horse is unsuitable you will be given 4 weeks notice (nothing about changing your agreement to non working livery during the notice period). I am leaving well within the 4 week period and happy to pay for the full month (as per my working livery agreement) however after deeming my horse unsuitable and giving me notice to leave the yard I noticed they were continuing to use her in lessons. I told them if she was unsuitable for them, to stop using her with immediate effect. The manager has now stated that she will put me on to a non working livery agreement for my notice period and expects me to pay as per the non working livery agreement. It all seems a little one sided at the moment and grateful to hear of any other experiences and what the outcome was.

No experience or advice really, if it were me I would most likely pay them for non working livery if they aren't using your horse, ie if you've told them to stop. It isn't worth causing bad feeling over if you wanted to stay there long term. Not sure if you do? Anyway hope you get sorted.
Edited to add - sorry just read that you are leaving. Either way, I am not one for confrontation and would probably just get on with it and leave it at that.

I hate most working livery deals as they always seem to result in conflict.. Having said that, how many hours a week and over what days was the horse allowed to be used and what restrictions were put on riders eg weight, experience etc.Was it a situation where the horse was suitable for some work but not as defined in the contract? In that case I suspect you having said the horse was not to be used at all implies the yard is correct in moving you onto full livery.

newrider.com