Livery costs; Leeds and Oxford people please!!

Peaches

Jun 29, 2008
Hi guys, off to uni next yr. Looking at leeds met and oxford brookes.

I'm considering taking Lance with me. I won't be doing this immediately, nor do I expect that it would be easy. I'm keeping an open mind (so please people, don't lecture me that I'd be better not to take him =) Thanks)

What I'm asking though is if people can give me a guide on livery costs immediately outside Leeds and Oxford. And what you get for that.

Just so I can tot up money issues and see where that leaves me as to the POSSIBILITY of the horse coming with me...

Thanks =]

Good luck with uni and everything- i would have loved to have had a horse at uni (i bought mine after i had been working a few years so when i had come back from uni) and realistically i would have had a lot more time while i was at uni to spend with him- perhaps not money but student loans aren't all that bad!- other people also do it quite successfully so don't write off the plan completely!

I live near Oxford and work in Oxford- stabling round here is in the region of £30- £45 a week for a DIY stable with straw and hay and turnout. Grass livery is about £20- £25 a week. Some of the smaller yards are a bit cheaper than the more popular riding school ones. Part and full livery is considerably more with full at about £150 a week. I do DIY with my guy with a stable and turnout and don't have any extras and in total for the month i usually end up parting with £220 to cover his stabling, feed and farrier bills. It is more than in some areas, sadly you pay more because it is a more affluent area!

Hope that helps a little and good luck with what you decide to do.

Thanks. It's definately helpful.

My issue with oxford is that whilst living in halls, we are not allowed a car in oxford. And if you are found to have one = massive fines...So yards will be limited as I would have to find a way to reach it from halls with public transport, or short walk/cycle(I have ME and although fairly able this means a day of uni followed by a long 'physical' trek to yard and then yard duties and mucking out would be impossible)

Also tricky in that I live on a farm so Lance has never been on livery and he isn't the easiest horse to settle into routines! But we shall see...

Thanks v much x

Yes- the whole no cars in the city centre! Would be a bit of a pain as the transport links and buses around oxford are not fabulous and there are not that many yards in very close proximity to the city centre! I think brookes have a couple of campuses and halls a bit further out so if you could get into one of those it might work and that might be a bit closer to a yard.

Oxford will be quite expensive compared to Leeds! Not only is it down South but also it's quite posh and you'll probably be liverying with the 'proper' Oxford lot, if you get me.

It is a nice uni (Ox. Brooks) though, I have a friend who goes there and she loves it :)

Yea I'm aware the brookes will be more expensive, but by how much is what I'm trying to tot up =]

Thanks guys x

newrider.com