Linseed vs Linseed oil

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Keep reading that linseed oil is supposed to be good for inner health and promote glossy coat. I have mine on linseed oil but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to the coat. Reading through some old post it seems a lot of people use Micronised linseed. Has anyone tried both, did one make a difference over the other?

Looking at the price its £22 for a container and also for a bag. Wondering if I should swap to the meal instead of oil. How much do you feed of the meal.

I use micronized too, a 20 quid sack lasts me months if not a whole winter for my two, Hank gets about 1/4 of a tea cup (its also high in omega 3's so good anti-inflammatory and helps his locking stifles) and Jess might get up to a cup if she drops condition.

I use micronised linseed in show season and the run up to it. I but big sacks from Charnwood milling (google it) and they deliver it to me too. Lasts one horse ages as I just put a mug full in her feed

flaxoiloutside.jpg
I use this, it is pure cold pressed flax oil so doesn't loose any of the goodness and is high in omega 3's. Mine both have lovely coats since they have been on it, they have been on it for about a year now.

I use a small scoop of micronized linseed a day for Belle, have never tried oil but have to say her coat looks amazing, glossy like spun gold and still dapply for the first time since I've owned her.

Jack gets a mug a day to help maintain his condition. He won't eat more than that in his feed.

newrider.com