LIGHTWEIGHT TRAILERS! any recomendations?

keep the faith

Apr 16, 2004
county armagh, N.I
Visit site
Having just bought a car capable of towing 1600kg (at 85%) i wanted to source a lightweight trailer but one thats still sturdy. I have an old ifor williams 505 around 1996 but want to upgrade to a newer box.

It needs to take a 16.2hh and be a double box so i can remove the partition, she doesn't travel well with the partition still in. Horse is 550kg so anything around 800- 900kg max to allow for tack, passengers etc.

well my dads car is capable of towing 1600kg too and were looking to buy our first trailer

the rice europa ones look nice, and way around 900kg they have both front and rear unload too

legally you have to go by the maximum plated amount your vehicle can tow and the maximum plated weight of the trailer im afraid.

the new single ifor hb403 maximum plated weight is 1600kg. You can however get a heavier box re-plated and downgraded, but i wouldnt advise towing a heavier box with that vehicle - even a bateson double's maxiumum weight is 2300kg and they are known to be lighter.

If you get stopped and checked, remember, unfortunately they will go by the maximums on both.

well my dads car is capable of towing 1600kg too and were looking to buy our first trailer

the rice europa ones look nice, and way around 900kg they have both front and rear unload too

i hate to be stick in the mud :eek:- but the gross weight of that trailer is also 2300kg, which is what the police will go by if they stop you.

- i just checked the weight as I got excited for a min as am loking for a lightweight to hire while I wait for my new 403:rolleyes:

Not to Hijack but if I am buying a car with this towing spec. Should a double iforwilliams with a 15.2h Irish be OK?

Towing (kg) TdV6 manual
TdV6 auto

Max towing (towing pack optional)

Unbraked trailor

Max. mass of vehicle and trailor combination (GTW)

*EEC kerb includes fluids, tools, spare and 75kg driver

Not to Hijack but if I am buying a car with this towing spec. Should a double iforwilliams with a 15.2h Irish be OK?

3500kg maximum seems a lot! even the likes of the navaras are only about 2800kg max. what vehicle and model is it? i can check for you if you like?

my local trailer centre gave me really good book with all the maximum weights in.

so in other words itll be pretty impossible to find a trailer that my car will pull //

haha your all gonna laugh now

its a saab 93 convertable

althopugh we were looking into buying a defender so we could pull

To be fair, although there are the legalities and whatnot, its actually not the pulling of the towing you should be so concerned about, but the break power that can still be 100% effective with the max combined weight. Many a time have inexperienced riders taken a tailer and a car, and come to break down a hill and suddenly see the tailer swinging out, and actually pushing through your breaks. I would wait until you have something more substantial before pulling....

Thanks BlueWicked - though we haven't yet bought, but would be the only car I would buy, as it's only purpose to be bought is for towing a trailer! You reckon it would be OK to get the biggest of the new ifor range (up to 17.2hh) only cos I want a trailer that I can a) take others with me, b) may lookto buy other horses and didn't want restriction on trailer.

if the maximum towing weight is 1600kg you would legally be ok to pull one of the new ifor singles HB403. Not sure it is a good idea tho :)

Agree with you here, based on what I said previously about the breaking issues you could have....

Thanks BlueWicked - though we haven't yet bought, but would be the only car I would buy, as it's only purpose to be bought is for towing a trailer! You reckon it would be OK to get the biggest of the new ifor range (up to 17.2hh) only cos I want a trailer that I can a) take others with me, b) may lookto buy other horses and didn't want restriction on trailer.

Agree with you here, based on what I said previously about the breaking issues you could have....

the maximum gross weight of the new HB411 (the big double) is 2700kg, so you should be well away with your disco :)

Sluis or Saris do a lightweight trailer. Think they are around the 800kg mark unladen and can take 2 x 17h, but good for a car with lower towing capacity. I used to have one and got on fine with it. Towed it with a freelander with 1 x big horse inside and were well within legal limit and car towed fine.

Obviously the big heavy 4x4s are better to tow with tho but not everyone can afford a disco!

Sluis or Saris do a lightweight trailer. Think they are around the 800kg mark unladen and can take 2 x 17h, but good for a car with lower towing capacity. I used to have one and got on fine with it. Towed it with a freelander with 1 x big horse inside and were well within legal limit and car towed fine.

Obviously the big heavy 4x4s are better to tow with tho but not everyone can afford a disco!

whats the maximum gross weight tho? thats what counts legally. I cant find these trailers, am googling :confused:

the maximum gross weight of the new HB411 (the big double) is 2700kg, so you should be well away with your disco :)

OK - I am pap, its official, so the trailer weights 2700kg, and then plus two horses...surely I will be over the weight limit by then?? I would only have 800kg left? So if Discovery is best towing around, what the hell can pull two horses in the biggest ifor then?

OK - I am pap, its official, so the trailer weights 2700kg, and then plus two horses...surely I will be over the weight limit by then?? I would only have 800kg left? So if Discovery is best towing around, what the hell can pull two horses in the biggest ifor then?

lol, no the trailer doesnt actually weigh 2700kg;) 2700kg is its MAXIMUM weight. IE what it can carry full laden.

the unladen weight of that box is 1000kg.

But what people forget is if you get stopped by the police they will look at the plate on the front of your box for the MAXIMUM weight, and check the MAximum weight your vehicle can tow.

hope that makes sense. :)

- common mistake is as follows; vehicle can tow up to 2000kg. double ifor weighs 1000kg, so owner assumes they are legal to tow this trailer with 1 neddie in, weighing about 500kg - as this only takes them up to 1500kg. Wrong: you get stopped, the police arent interested in the unladen weight and what you have inside, they check the maximum allowed weight (for double ifor about 2700kg) and will always go by the maximum you theoretically COULD be carryng. Daft eh?!

Last edited:
newrider.com