Let's talk about Clips

Marley was sweaty this morning after our hack so I am going to get him clipped but I will just get our usual very low trace as I don't rug him as a rule .
This was him last year and it lasts him right through so only needs clipped once. :D He is a bit filthy in this pic lol
marley clip.jpg

On particularly hot sweaty warm horses that you dont need to rug but want to take as much as possible off, take a picture/mental note of where they are naturally still dry when its been raining. Its quite surprising how much of the lower body stays dry and i use it as a line to clip along knowing they wont for the mkst part get drenched in rain amd cold on those parts :)

On particularly hot sweaty warm horses that you dont need to rug but want to take as much as possible off, take a picture/mental note of where they are naturally still dry when its been raining. Its quite surprising how much of the lower body stays dry and i use it as a line to clip along.
That's what I do. Her clipped parts are always bone dry.
I have not redone her because the weather is to be particularly bad next week and we are exposed here.

Last edited:
I gave up with part clips & had LU hunter clipped last weekend, though his coat this year is so dense that despite clipping some parts of him twice he feels more like he's got a velvet bodysuit on than the more normal silky feel. Normally I wouldn't dream of leaving a hunter clipped horse naked but this abnormal weather has had me turning him out like that in the day & he's even been bare in the stable some nights because putting anything on him has him too hot. This weather is crazy!!!

Reactions: Jessey
Going to clip my beast when he goes back into work. I’ve got some clippers, going to pay someone to supervise me. :)

Thinking of going for a blanket clip first off. I can always take it further if he’s still too sweaty.

@HaloHoney , unless he's sweating very badly I'd suggest waiting until the initial walk work has been done. Some horses can get a bit bright when clipped & that's not helpful if you're restricted to walk & any boinging may set back recovery.
Yes, that’s the plan. I will wait until he’s properly sweaty so it’s actually worth clipping him- he won’t really be working up much of sweat whilst just walking anyway. :)

I'm in two minds whether to redo the bib clip. She came back sweaty from yesterday's ride, patch of white where the reflective sits.
But no where else. So not too sure what to do, or not do.
It's just not cold.

Going to clip my beast when he goes back into work. I’ve got some clippers, going to pay someone to supervise me. :)

Thinking of going for a blanket clip first off. I can always take it further if he’s still too sweaty.
You might not need to.
Once sound you will have a good six weeks of walking only work first. That takes you into December.

I'm in two minds whether to redo the bib clip. She came back sweaty from yesterday's ride, patch of white where the reflective sits.
But no where else. So not too sure what to do, or not do.
It's just not cold.
The point of clipping isn't merely to prevent sweating but to allow it to dry quickly so I'd say if she only sweats on clipped bits and she drys quickly it's doing its job.

The point of clipping isn't merely to prevent sweating but to allow it to dry quickly so I'd say if she only sweats on clipped bits and she drys quickly it's doing its job.
Yes no sweating on the saddle area or girth just this front bit.
Some of that could be worry, she can be a worrier on her own.
Midges are still out, feel for anyone with sweetitch because they are annoying and biting.

Reactions: Jessey
Brook got a chaser clip about 3 weeks ago and it is almost grown in already. I havent been through this process with her yet as she is young but with previous horses I tend to do chasers up until Christmas and then round about that time I whip the lot off.

Update don't give up the day job. :rolleyes:
Practical over perfect- my new buzz word.
These are 1mm blades.

Attachments

• PicsArt_11-11-04.27.57.jpg
    PicsArt_11-11-04.27.57.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I had to re-do my clip last weekend, now with girth bit too :)

Attachments

• 979100F5-D41C-4A08-81A2-F0A528D75D8A.jpeg
    979100F5-D41C-4A08-81A2-F0A528D75D8A.jpeg
    902.3 KB · Views: 14
Pete's currently coming in SO dirty, it's difficult to tell he's even been clipped ...!

FlashMan is still woolly, he’s up to trotting now, but not at all sweaty about it! So I’m leaving him until he’s in dire need of a clip!

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com