Leg issues

Zianka

Jan 7, 2017
Hi all I got a tb horse yesterday and I got her out stable this morning and her legs were swollen I turned her out and when I got her in this evening the swelling had gone down and I think she may have a lame leg what can I do to help her I am calling my vets out in couple days if this carries on but just wanted to get some advice befor of people who maybe have the same problem she is 22 years old ex polo horse

Hi, sorry to hear about your horses legs but it can be common in older sport horses and hopefully nothing to be too alarmed about. She may just need to be able to move about more, give her more turnout if possible. You are probably best waiting until the vet sees her though as you only got her yesterday and its hard to tell exactly what could be the problem.

It's hopefully nothing too serious but it will be best if your vet can see her, afterall, you've only just got her and so you don't know if this is "normal" for her or not. Lots of positive vibes it is just something she always has. She could be arthritic? One of mine gets very stiff standing in over night. It is hard to find a balance though as sometimes on a yard there isn't an all night turnout option available - and sometimes you can't always guarantee your horse will have company if they do stay out. Does anyone else keep them out all night? The lame leg could be an old injury?

Thanks for the advice I am calling my vet out To give her a full check but just wanted advice :) I am hoping that's it nuthink bad I didn't get her to ride I wouldn't be bothered if she was only a companion she is so loving just want what's best for her should I wait for vet to come out befor I take her for a walk out from the yard ? On her passport it didn't say any think about leg injuries??

What's her background? Im guessing the old owner not mention anything? It could be any number of things tbh from heart to skin and lots of other stuff in between, I hope the vet can clarify for you and it's something easy to deal with.

Polo ponies often live out, it might just be the change in routine but best to have the vet check it is just filling not anything else. If it is just filled legs you can put stable bandages on to help minimize it but the key to keeping them down is exercise, turnout or light ridden, as long as she isn't lame of course.

newrider.com