Learning to solo hack

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I know I have the girls at the farm sometimes but a lot ofvthe time I am up there alone..... I want to be able to confidently hack Melody alone..... I am just starting to hack her out in company. I don't know where to begin. I used to solo hack Eva but mainly because I knew she was ok to hack on her own, through Skye and the girls taking her hacking alone.

This time it is down to me to hack her out alone ....how and where do I begin...? I am not sure how she will react to leaving the herd.

If you're worried, I'd start by taking her out in hand - you literally only have to go a few yards at first & build on it from there.

This is what I did with Pete & he hacks for miles & miles on his own now & doesn't give a backwards glance!

How confident are you? People may disagree with me but if you are a nervous rider, taking a horse out that you don't how they will behave isn't Imo a good idea.

I would ask one of your girls to take her out initially, then you can take over.
When you got her did they tell you she was safe alone in and in company?

Reactions: carthorse
Can you start by leading her down to your friends for a ride with them? that way its only a short distance on your own before you meet friends, you can see how she is alone and also on that road and eventually ride back alone, then there and back :)
The only thing with a longer ride alone at first is if after 3 miles she looses confidence you've then got to manage to get her 3 miles back potentially whilst she's having a wobbly (though I can't see Mel doing that), so its best to keep it short and sweet until you know she can handle it :)

Reactions: Native Lover
Can you enlist on the help of an instructor to maybe foot soldier here and there. It's a great confidence boost to have someone to talk to a well. I get on really well with mine, cob loves her.

I am sure Melody will be great, I am just leaning on the side of caution. You were worried about arranging to hack out at all last week.
I do agree with the lead out and ride back, that's what I did though I led her on ever route we would be riding on one day- mine was very nervous. In fact we took up jogging, it made it fun.

Make sure you're are confident, one hint of doubt and she'll know. Agree out in hand is a good idea and builds up trust. I only ever do circular routes as I think going so far and turning back can make them nappy.

Whilst your hacking out in company make her go infront as well as behind. Also trot on a bit leaving your company and then stop and let her stand to let your company catch up.
If your going to solo hack stick to where you've been with company, keep the ride short and try to get out regularly round that route The horse will have more confidence if it knows the route.
Billy still doesn't do large vehicles it also stresses him if it's all busy roads. So I'll do quiet road, then onto a busy road then turn off and back onto quiet road. Next few hacks I'll do off road. This seems to be the way to building his road confidence.

Lots of great advice already mentioned here, I have gone from confident to hack alone to terrified, back to confident but still have days when I don't feel great going out alone. My one and only savior when I have a wobble (and they are rare these days) is to simply get off and lead for a while, once I have calmed down I jump back on and carry on.
I know people say you shouldn't get off but have to say do whatever keeps you safe, I know that if I get worried Belle will and we have a downward spiral which could potentially be a problem and If I hadn't done it in the past I doubt I would have ever got back to where I am now.
I also feel more nervous if I haven't hacked out in a while, no idea why, but if i keep at it I'm fine.

Reactions: Trewsers
Lots of great advice already mentioned here, I have gone from confident to hack alone to terrified, back to confident but still have days when I don't feel great going out alone. My one and only savior when I have a wobble (and they are rare these days) is to simply get off and lead for a while, once I have calmed down I jump back on and carry on.
I know people say you shouldn't get off but have to say do whatever keeps you safe, I know that if I get worried Belle will and we have a downward spiral which could potentially be a problem and If I hadn't done it in the past I doubt I would have ever got back to where I am now.
I also feel more nervous if I haven't hacked out in a while, no idea why, but if i keep at it I'm fine.

Honestly, never feel bad about getting off :) One of the first things my instructor said to me was that getting off can be one of the savviest things you can do. Some days I get off, some days I don't. Whatever keeps you confident and more importantly, safe.

newrider.com