Just for fun

I thought about changing Belle's name when I got her, but it kind of suits her, I mean she is golden and loud and rather rotund!
Seriously though she was 15 when she came to me and she recognised her name, it grew on me and no I wouldn't change it now. I can't pronounce her passport name though.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
The horses on our yard used to be re-named en block by the yard manager as they arrived - usually they came in a small group. I rode with her at the time and so heard her reasons for picking the names. The real name of the beloved mare I rode for so many years came from a celeb actress. And was spelled in a slightly peculiar way to match. It drove me crazy when ten years later her name was always spelled wrong.

Reactions: Jessey
I've had horses recognise their new names on the same day! Joey was previously called Banjo....or "Banj" by his previous owner. I opted for the latter half of his name and he came to call a mere 4 hours after he arrived.

Gracie arrived on a Monday lunchtime and whinnied at me from her stable when I arrived and called her name the next morning. Jill just happened to be staying in a caravan next to G's stable and subsequently asked me if I had arrived at such and such a time because that was the first time she had heard G whinny all night.

Reactions: Jessey
all but Tess have breeders prefix names, field names are a short version of those other than Charlie who on his passport is Nathan, not a name I could envisage shouting across the field so we call him Charlie which suits him to a tee.

Mouse's real name is Anatole. I like it on his papers, but I didn't want to call him that in person (in pony?) and wanted a cute nickname. It was actually my mum that suggested Mouse, because of this - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatole_(mouse) - and it definitely suited him, so it stuck. Though the kids at the riding school call him Mousse!
I didn't like the name Annie at first but it grew on me!

I always thought it was bad luck to change a name. But, Storm is Storm on her passport but here at home she's been Golly for many many years. She's only "Storm" when she's misbehaving!!!lol (bit like my parents when I was a kid, I always got called by my first name and middle name in the same sentence if they were cross at me!):p

Mouse is the name of the horse that stars in Lonesome Dove, so you get lots of Western and one big ultra brave horse on our yard, named Mouse which seems odd in UK English. My favorite mule in USA was another called Mouse. So when you copse Mouse's name Joosie, that seemed totally right to me.
I would not call my horse Mouse but have had alternatives in mind from other Western songs. Donny Gal and Miss Aledo -

Mine was named after a feisty Irish lady and it's meaning is 'mighty in battle'
No I wouldn't change it but I do use her proper name when she is a tinker.
Names are funny though because it used to bug me if people spelt it wrong, I know :rolleyes:

No an ORCA is a whale :p Okra is a vegetable like a marrow apparently!
A village where? Google is throwing me vegetables and curry, but no villages! Lol!

I couldn't imagine ever changing one of ours names as they all answer to them - how long does it take them to recognise their new name??
I think if I changed it tomorrow she would know it. It's the tone of my voice she turns round to, not necessarily the word. My call is distinct for her.
It doesn't mean she comes though. That's personal choice on her part.

Reactions: orbvalley
That's Orka, not okra :p But whatever it is it's clearly not a great name for a horse! :D
My friend in France had a horse we called the flying whale, because he was shaped like a whale even when fit but man could he jump!

newrider.com