Jumping- In the 1930's, ( photos and video)

Back to the book.

Ok this is where I feel for the horse. Refusals. Firstly you need to know why. Fear, tired, asked too much or stubborn.
The stubborn resistance horse must have more leg, then spurs then the crop. One or two men standing either side of the jump with long whips may help if still refusing.
If a bad tempered horse still refuses you must get off and drive them over on the lunge.
Quote ' forcing a stubborn horse is imperative, his spirit must be broken before he is allowed to return to the stable. If he gets exhausted lower the bars and make him go over, even if it's 1ft the session must end with him jumping'

It's trying to read as end on a good note, but who cares how you achieved it!! From my own experience I know my assumption of what's going on in front of me or under me can be wrong. What I think is a refusal due to fear might be tired. If a horse really really doesn't enjoy jumping why jump them? Wouldn't you naturally lower the fence before you got the breaking it's spirit stage?

He does go on to say the trainer must be severe with resistance and crush stubbornness at the start, but also reward obedience or willingness.

Last edited:
Tapping

He talks about this as possibly happening just before a competiton so the horse jumps with a reserve.
Tapping can be done by people standing next to it but often the horse jumps higher if they see them so it's also done by a machine operated by someone nearby. (I had to remind myself that this was the 30's. That appears very advanced to me!)

I regularly jump out of trot out hunting over trappy ground, like rails, cattle water drinkers. I call it the trot and pop :p well that's what I tell her do. I don't do it from walk, I'd feel like I didn't have enough momentum and it would be impossible for Lottie to walk to a jump, she's too keen.

I agree why push a horse jumping if they don't enjoy it, don't like the sound of 2 people with whips. Tapping if awful!

Back to the book.

Ok this is where I feel for the horse. Refusals. Firstly you need to know why. Fear, tired, asked too much or stubborn.
The stubborn resistance horse must have more leg, then spurs then the crop. One or two men standing either side of the jump with long whips may help if still refusing.
If a bad tempered horse still refuses you must get off and drive them over on the lunge.
Quote ' forcing a stubborn horse is imperative, his spirit must be broken before he is allowed to return to the stable. If he gets exhausted lower the bars and make him go over, even if it's 1ft the session must end with him jumping'

It's trying to read as end on a good note, but who cares how you achieved it!! From my own experience I know my assumption of what's going on in front of me or under me can be wrong. What I think is a refusal due to fear might be tired. If a horse really really doesn't enjoy jumping why jump them? Wouldn't you naturally lower the fence before you got the breaking it's spirit stage?

He does go on to say the trainer must be severe with resistance and crush stubbornness at the start, but also reward obedience or willingness.

Breaking a horses spirit is dreadful. How sad it is that it has always been the way for some owners / trainers to push and force them.

You Tube footage!!

Enjoy as there are a few to choose from and I got absorbed a bit.
This one is on schooling which appears to be the forward seat, forward control and forward schooling. This is from his 1959 book.

Riding forwards like this all the time apart from looking strange, wouldn't that load the forehand? I did like to see the downwards transitions being made without the reins. But I can't see myself practicing the downhills whilst leaning forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers
Wow the one in at the end was quite flappy armed I thought. Loved the bit when they all came over the gate fox hunting. There must have been lots of flies bothering the horses in some of it too.
What country was it? I had no sound just the film. It was good - I enjoyed it.

Reactions: newforest
Wow the one in at the end was quite flappy armed I thought.
You mean the up and down the slopes rider?
I wondered if that's due to the rein length. To have some contact the arms are having to come back a lot. We would have shorter reins and hands more forwards and not fixed at the wither?

You mean the up and down the slopes rider?
I wondered if that's due to the rein length. To have some contact the arms are having to come back a lot. We would have shorter reins and hands more forwards and not fixed at the wither?

It was the rider with the lightest colour jacket, and yeah I think she was going up and down ghe slopes. I just thought she looked tipped too? I guess it was all part of the intended style?
Fascinating to watch. I love old riding technique books and ones with loads of pics too. The video was great to see.

That's the forward seat but it did look strange. If the horse pecked I am already tipped to go over the top.
I wonder why he decided to introduce that position. If I spot any more books I will get just for the interest value.
My riding position right or wrong pops up in some trainers idea of correct. :p I might do a forward seat session just to see what is like. Hope to hack out tomorrow but don't fancy the downhill aspect!

Reactions: Trewsers
Will be finishing this book this week. If anyone would like it just pm.
It will get donated to charity otherwise and I will be moving in to the next one. :rolleyes:
They just kept falling in my lap.

If you Google Littauer you will see he was an advocate of the forward seat. At the time this was not common.
The forward seat was introduced only after WW1 and is generally said to originate with the Italians jumping. I note a reference to Charles Harris (Spanish school Vienna) reviewing Littauer's book and I would really like to read what Harris said.

newrider.com