is vetting a must? and other questions...(newbie)

peola

Mar 29, 2009
ireland
Hi there, i'm new to this and this is my first post on this forum...been reading it for a while now though, and I find it a godsend - so many of my questions and issues have been addressed here already!

But now I have a question of my own..and it concerns trust!
I used to ride as a kid, and left it in my teens (a common phenomenon it seems!), and have recently returned to it.
Horses are saving my sanity...literaly! Nearly two years ago I had a bereavement and have been finding it very tough to deal with, but since returning to horses I've been renewed and have been really coming back to my self.

The odd story of how I came back to horses starts with the fact that what I do for a living is teach drums to kids, and whilst having a chat and a laugh with one of my student's mums, the issue came up that she needed to buy a drum kit and that I was selling my old one! It also came up that she kept horses and that her other son was heading off to college soon and that she was going to be selling his mare! You can probably see where this is going....(the kit was a verry good one by the way!)!!!
I joked that I would swap my kit for the horse, and to my surprise she said why not!

In anticipation of perhaps getting this horse, I started getting lessons again (twice a week) and got completely hooked again!

Unfortunately though, this horse had an injury to it's leg which she had hoped was minor (but despite her efforts and numerous visits to the vet, it never healed properly). She doesn't feel right going ahead with the exchange as the leg bone has become infected and things don't look good for the poor thing (even though the leg doesn't look too bad) as the prognosis for infected leg bones is very poor. This was v. sad...she seemed like a lovely horse with a warm personality - I met her when things still seemed hopeful, and fed her carrots and apples, which she good-naturedly devoured!

As far as my riding is concerned, it has come on in leaps and bounds, and my fitness levels are gradually increasing too (before getting back into riding I was very down and sat still a lot).

My instructor is very good and knows my situation and seems to have the knack of pushing me just the right amount, so that each time I improve in some way, but she's still working at my pace.(the lessons are mostly one to one)

I've ridden about 5 or 6 horses in the school, and the latest one I find to be ` a dream, he's brought me on so much, and is touch button and has a lovely temperment !!! And she has told me that he's for sale!!!

I tack him up, and groom him and have gone out to the field for a "chat" with him, and he was completely approachable. I feel very comfortable with him in the close confines of the stable and it's like he was put here to give me confidence! Besides which, he's a handsome brute!!
He is a 15'1' bay cob/horse and he's only 6. If you are kind to his mouth he will do any thing you ask it seems... although I have't jumped yet, he does jump on a regular basis and is much loved by all who ride him!!

Sounds like he's ready for his sainthood eh?

The thing is, as you can see i've already fallen for him, and am about to start negotiations with my instructor about buying him.

She has already said that she will do an installment plan, and that what she would like would be for him to stay there working in the school for a year doing a few hours a week for her in exchange for cheap livery.

This would give her time to bring on a replacement for him and give me time to prepare our meadow (clear away rusty debris and fence it in and build a stable).

She has just sold one of the other school horses (a twenty yr old) in a similar arrangement for 3000 euros.

The only thing is, I don't feel comfortable asking her can I get him vetted!
When I was going to be getting the other horse my instructor herself had offered to look at him to see if he was suitable for me, but now that she is the seller I don't know how to go about getting an objective opinion without offending her!

She has told me that she thinks he is ideal for me, and I myself can feel what he's done for me already, but I don't want to risk souring relations with her by implying I dont trust her!

When buying a horse in these circumstances does any one ever just trust their instructors integrity and go with with it or would that be foolhardy?

Thanks everyone...and sorry about the length!!!

I would get some kind of vetting done. I can see where you are coming from, but at the very least you may pick up a problem that hasn't surfaced yet, and could make the instructor aware of it.

If you feel you need an excuse, say that to insure him you need a certificate of vetting (which is true, a lot of them do ask for one!). She shouldn't really take it as an insult :)

Pictures!!!!! We need pictures!!!

xxx

Defo have a vetting done, your instructor should be understanding as it it pretty much the 'done thing' would be pretty bad form for her to advise you against it wether you are buying from her or not.

Also a good point about the insurance, may companies insist on it, especially for values over a certain amount. If you really feel uncomfortable just use that as an excuse!

thanks guys... the insurance point is a great one! That takes the personal element out of it, and like you say it's probably going to be a necessity anyway!
I'm riding this afternoon, so hopefully I can have a chat with her then. That's really put my mind at ease...(and i'll try to get some pics!)
cheers m'dears!

Make sure when you mention the vetting that you just throw it in as an "of course once he's had his vetting" rather than "oh, is it all right to get him vetted":)

Good luck with it all. Keep us posted. I have just taken the plunge and purchasd my first horse (mid 40's !) - he is coming on Wednesday. I am full of excitement and nerves, but cannot wait!

Hi there, i'm new to this and this is my first post on this forum...been reading it for a while now though, and I find it a godsend - so many of my questions and issues have been addressed here already!

But now I have a question of my own..and it concerns trust!
I used to ride as a kid, and left it in my teens (a common phenomenon it seems!), and have recently returned to it.
Horses are saving my sanity...literaly! Nearly two years ago I had a bereavement and have been finding it very tough to deal with, but since returning to horses I've been renewed and have been really coming back to my self.

The odd story of how I came back to horses starts with the fact that what I do for a living is teach drums to kids, and whilst having a chat and a laugh with one of my student's mums, the issue came up that she needed to buy a drum kit and that I was selling my old one! It also came up that she kept horses and that her other son was heading off to college soon and that she was going to be selling his mare! You can probably see where this is going....(the kit was a verry good one by the way!)!!!
I joked that I would swap my kit for the horse, and to my surprise she said why not!

In anticipation of perhaps getting this horse, I started getting lessons again (twice a week) and got completely hooked again!

Unfortunately though, this horse had an injury to it's leg which she had hoped was minor (but despite her efforts and numerous visits to the vet, it never healed properly). She doesn't feel right going ahead with the exchange as the leg bone has become infected and things don't look good for the poor thing (even though the leg doesn't look too bad) as the prognosis for infected leg bones is very poor. This was v. sad...she seemed like a lovely horse with a warm personality - I met her when things still seemed hopeful, and fed her carrots and apples, which she good-naturedly devoured!

As far as my riding is concerned, it has come on in leaps and bounds, and my fitness levels are gradually increasing too (before getting back into riding I was very down and sat still a lot).

My instructor is very good and knows my situation and seems to have the knack of pushing me just the right amount, so that each time I improve in some way, but she's still working at my pace.(the lessons are mostly one to one)

I've ridden about 5 or 6 horses in the school, and the latest one I find to be ` a dream, he's brought me on so much, and is touch button and has a lovely temperment !!! And she has told me that he's for sale!!!

I tack him up, and groom him and have gone out to the field for a "chat" with him, and he was completely approachable. I feel very comfortable with him in the close confines of the stable and it's like he was put here to give me confidence! Besides which, he's a handsome brute!!
He is a 15'1' bay cob/horse and he's only 6. If you are kind to his mouth he will do any thing you ask it seems... although I have't jumped yet, he does jump on a regular basis and is much loved by all who ride him!!

Sounds like he's ready for his sainthood eh?

The thing is, as you can see i've already fallen for him, and am about to start negotiations with my instructor about buying him.

She has already said that she will do an installment plan, and that what she would like would be for him to stay there working in the school for a year doing a few hours a week for her in exchange for cheap livery.

This would give her time to bring on a replacement for him and give me time to prepare our meadow (clear away rusty debris and fence it in and build a stable).

She has just sold one of the other school horses (a twenty yr old) in a similar arrangement for 3000 euros.

The only thing is, I don't feel comfortable asking her can I get him vetted!
When I was going to be getting the other horse my instructor herself had offered to look at him to see if he was suitable for me, but now that she is the seller I don't know how to go about getting an objective opinion without offending her!

She has told me that she thinks he is ideal for me, and I myself can feel what he's done for me already, but I don't want to risk souring relations with her by implying I dont trust her!

When buying a horse in these circumstances does any one ever just trust their instructors integrity and go with with it or would that be foolhardy?

Thanks everyone...and sorry about the length!!!
Don't worry about offending the owner. The only time they will be offended is when they have something to hide. I would strongly advise you to have any potential purchase vetted. It could say you a lot of heart-ache and expense. I had the BB vetted even though I would have bought him if he'd only had 3 legs, because the insurance company insisted but I didn't have the OG done because I'd known her for over 15 years and knew what I was letting myself in for and she was too old to insure for illness but not everyone has this sort of knowledge about the horse they are buying.

newrider.com