Is it bad

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
to know what you want?

Now this is probably going to make me look extremely bad, however I have been helping other people horse hunt and it got me to thinking what I would want.

My eyes are actually nipping From looking at adverts, people talk crap and it’s time consuming wading through it.

However I’ve kinda made my mind up about what I would like to own once I’m ready to buy another horse. I am going to be very specific about colour, breed, mature height and sex. I’m figuring if it will probably be my last (buying a youngster) equine friend then I can choose to be specific. My horses have always just came to me, never really chose one just for me so this will be a first :)

Does anyone else think this way of an I just alone lol ;)

no i would be the same.

tbh i absolutely dread anything happening to brook and me having to horse hunt and look for something else. Ive had so many mis-matches and she is SO much my girl, Id only ever want her again :(

Reactions: MrC
no i would be the same.

tbh i absolutely dread anything happening to brook and me having to horse hunt and look for something else. Ive had so many mis-matches and she is SO much my girl, Id only ever want her again :(

See this is the problem I’m going to have. Kia is my one, the one equine I’ve had that is my other half. We are so bonded and understand each other so well that I will have massive boots to try to film. So I’ve been thinking I cannot continue down the Black with white socks welshie or welshie x route as I’ll never treat it as it’s own person so to speak. It wouldn’t be fair.

I still want a Welsh d but unfortunately my favourite colour and type is a no go :(

I don't think it's bad to have an idea. I knew I wanted a native type because I like native types. I knew I didn't want anything over 14.2h and I didn't want a mare.
That's why I have a mare :D

I am one of those people who feels that the horse finds you. You can attempt to stick to a list, but the one who leans on your heart strings might just be off piste a little.

I wouldn't look at another as trying to fill any gap though because that gets in the way of a new bond.
I thought I wanted what I had lost, similar character and to do similar things. But actually all horses have their own characters and the one thing I knew I would need as oppose to want, was something that could speak is own mind. Yep got that and some, she just says it differently. :p

I was in your position a couple of years ago after having to retire my horse that I loved so much even though he was far from a perfect ride. I've still got him, he's now 20 and happy in his retirement. But I needed another horse to ride as I felt lost without that. I made a list, same as you I thought this would be my last horse and needed to be wise with my purchase as I can't afford to keep collecting them! On my list was - youngster, gelding, not grey, not ill treated, horse. I ended up with a 3 year old grey mare pony not ill treated. so 2 out of 5 on the list! But I still think its a good idea to think you know what you want or rather definitely what you dont want.

I can't imagine anyone not having some sort of list they would like to fill, it's one thing that always put me off breeding for myself, I might not end up with the type I like :)

When I brought jess I was looking for a young (3yo) part bred QH, chestnut, mare and she was exactly the ticket apart from only being a yearling. Funny though was that I wanted that as I wanted a mare so it would have another career if injured (had just been through a might not recover injury with my gelding and didn't know what I'd do with him if he didn't recover) and I wanted chestnut as they were the only mares I'd got on with, one being my friends mare Sadie, when I showed Sadie's owner the pics of jess he noticed I had subconsciously brought the spit of Sadie, down to the socks, star and 2 tiny white marks on her side, I hadn't realised how similar they were until he pointed it out.
This is the only picture I have of Sadie, I'm in the middle on Bo.
_20180113_085228.JPG

Last edited:
. So I’ve been thinking I cannot continue down the Black with white socks welshie or welshie x route as I’ll never treat it as it’s own person so to speak. It wouldn’t be fair.
It might be harder to find the type of Welshie you like now as well, as many have been bred here more for the show ring and are very silly to ride. My friend, who has nerves of steel bless her, has a lovely gelding but he’s a major handful. A good alternative to the black/white socks though, he’s the most stunning bay, his main body shines like a freshly-shelled conker.
Most riders here (I’m on Ceredigion / Carms border, lots of show-winning Welsh Cob studs here) shy away from the modern Section Ds because many are so loopy, bred to show off.
I love them though, they are stunning: we have a local Fair in Cardigan on the last Saturday in April called “Dydd Sadwrn Barlys”, or Barley Saturday. Traditionally you had to have all your cereal crops sown by then and the Fair was for the cob stallion owners to parade through the town to show them off and get stud orders, it was also a hiring fair for farmhands. Last year there maust have been 50 stallions, mainly different Welsh ponies and cobs, but also draughts and a few others. Followed by carts, carriages, horse-drawn machinery, old cars and tractors. Fab parade and stunning to watch, the little town’s streets are thronged with people. My brother in law is usually the on-duty farrier too.
I’ve got an Irish cob / Connie cross mare, I didn’t want a white horse either... she’s skewbald and a blinking muckpot. :D

Last edited:
Hehee I made lots of mental lists for our next acquisition. Went something, older, weight carrying cob or shire cross, or even better full shire. Then Zi came about and he's really nothing like - dutch warmblood and only 12 so not old. But he's ace and ticks all the boxes so that's all that matters. I make lists in my head now, because at some point I'll be wanting another to ride, I wouldn't want another connie because I'd be afraid of keep making comparisons to Storm and it would be unfair. I think something will find me, it usually does:)

Ahh!! I remember the horse hunting quest! The amount that had already been sold... I was after something between 8-12. Good first horse, been there done it. No tbs around 16hh. I saw a 5 year old ISH ( grade 4 heart problem) 9 year old mare ( too much for a first horse) and a tb x shire ( Problem with left hind)

So after my horse hunt. Guess what I came back with...
a 17hh 7 year old chestnut ex racehorse!!

Attachments

• s2_zpsec115cd9[1].jpg
    s2_zpsec115cd9[1].jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Taffie and MrC
See this is the thing that got me thinking this. I’ve never really chosen any of my horses. I got people’s cast offs, sales ring meat money ponies, problem horses and ponies. They pretty much all came good. It was when I properly moved on to horses that crap happened. Mostly TBs lol so as pretty as they are and as successful as they are competing I think I’ll be leaving that well alone.

At the moment I’m looking at Irish types for my friend, IDs and Connies and their crosses, actually sick of reading adverts so taking a break and going to go spend time with my special horse, that’s what my friend is trying to find, their special horse :)

Ive been so lucky with Brook. Ive searched high and low, one end of the country to the other and over to ireland for horses, to no avail. Blue, my first connie x I did travel 3 hours to see and he was a star for me and I had him 3 years. Joy, my Sec D belonged to a neighbour and I was hacking her out then bought her, she was a fab pony as well and i only sold her i was struggling to keep her in enough work when miniCA was a toddler.
There have been so many others that didnt work out despite extensive searches, lists, checking etc etc. Brook I bought unseen, from a photo, as an unhandled 3 year old. Mad lol. However I was by this time well used to working with young shetlands inc colts and stallions and my RI ( a highland breeder) had mentioned this stud and their reputation for lovely temperaments plus that they were a nice, light riding type. So Brook arrived really as a project, something to keep me busy! We were living in the middle of nowhere but i had an arena at the time. I think we just clicked from the start - I enjoyed working with her so much even before we got to the backing stage, but I had no idea I would have the ridden pony I have now :D

Reactions: MrC and orbvalley
When I was looking I knew exactly what I wanted and it was very hard to find! I got the most success by putting a wanting advert up on horse quest, some weren't suitable but a lot ticked the boxes and that's how I found Lottie, they got in touch with me and she is everything I wanted, except she's a mare and I wanted a gelding! But it has worked out perfectly.

Reactions: orbvalley
My type is always going to be a cob, stocky, no bigger than 14.2 (or to make no bigger than 14.2) and only ever colt, stallion or gelding, and just a happy hacker ad i am not interested in anything but hacking. I got my cob as a bit if a fate thing, didn't actually want him i wanted a little coloured colt but the owner said he had been sold long story short i brought home my cob i have now and for once in my life i got lucky!!! Because hes turned in to everything id want in a horse. :)

Reactions: Taffie
The reason why I think the horse finds you is because I had the number for the cob. I was told to take my time because she would still be waiting for me when I got round to her.
I went off on my search of unsuitable horses and I decided ringing wouldn't hurt would it.
Guess who I came home with.:D

newrider.com