Interdressage

Orenoko

Feb 13, 2017
I know a couple of people on here do/have done this, I'm interested in giving it a shot (maybe not entering just yet) but am slightly dyslexic so when I read the tests I don't necessarily understand what they mean. I very much learn through watching/doing.

Any tips for learning the test? And any tips for learning the terms which aren't necessarily familiar?

You can watch other entries. So I would put the test into what you can understand. Then maybe watch a few to check they went the same way as you think you should.
I walk it through my head or on the ground by longreining.
You can have someone call the test and you can enter just for feedback without being part of the competition.

Reactions: Orenoko
Ah okay, that's good. It sounds fun and a great idea for those who don't have transport! I think I'd hate the pressure of entering a face to face test so being able to do this would really suit me. Definitely something I'll be looking into!

I learn dressage tests by walking them in my living room. I 'm sure I look weird trotting in circles without a horse, but it really helps me memorize the moves.

Have a look on YouTube there should be examples - I know there was when I entered online dressage. The company I used had now gone bust, so planning on giving Interdressage a go too :)

Can you get Interdressage tests called?

Good luck :D

What terms are you not familiar with?
Track right means turn right. So before I understood that I changed it.
You can buy a wipe board to mark things yourself but I didn't get to grips with it.

They do offer freestyle classes so you put the test together yourself. So again I learnt what I knew I could recall.

Sound travels. So be aware if you say something like bugger I should be trotting it will be heard. As was my canter, keep it, keep it, keep it. Unless you know how to mute be mute. :D

I might have a look this again as I have a grass school now.

Above all have fun. Don't be put off by thinking others are better than you, have better facilities. The test is about you and your horse not about them. Enjoy yourself.

I've done two so far, both very novice-level. I really enjoyed them both: they are a great way of measuring your progress, and I got good feedback. I didn't memorise the tests, but had my instructor call them (although I had a pretty good idea what went when, and watched several others riding the same tests - search on youtube for the code for each.

I suffer a bit from impostor syndrome as a rider having taken it up later on in life than many people do: I used to hate catching sight of myself in the school mirrors, and had to make myself do so in order to correct my position. I've found it very empowering, even therapeutic, to watch myself riding in formal (but relaxed) assesment scenario.. even though I do cringe at my position!

newrider.com