Inhand competing

Hailz22

Dec 29, 2016
Hi all,
I've never done inhand as my mare confirmation wasn't great and I didn't think worth paying all the fees to be told we suck :p
However, with my new boy, he's not too shabby and a local club is doing a have a go at inhand type of thing, so no fees or height certificates required mwahaha. So I thought a good way to see if we have fun.
But having never done it before..any tips? e.g lead from the outside so you're not blocking judges view of the horse.

Half posting for me and half for anyone else who wants to give it a go one day!

I always quite fancied the idea of in hand but never tried it. Hope you get some ideas off here, I am sure there have been some NR's who have had a go.

I have done a class.
I wore leg wear that was a different colour to the horse so the judge could see the legs.
Footwear I could run in. Gloves.
Had a show cane. Now I have short one with lash to flick if necessary for our trot.

Have fun.

as per above. Track left when you go into the ring. Practise getting your horse to stand square and stand still and be patient. When it’s your turn for your show say good morning/afternoon to the judge but if you know them dont address them by name. Stand your horse up square for the judge and move aside to to stand at their nose when the judge moves round to view that side, then move back so basically you never obstruct the judge’s view. Practise your show, the judge may ask for a walk away, walk back, trot away, trot back or just a walk away and trot back. Some may even ask for something different like a figure of 8 (although not often). Make sure you always turn your horse away from you and go straight at the judge as if you are going to run them over - they will step aside. Keep trotting on round past the line up and always use all of the ring. Practise what speed to trot at that shows your horse off best and have a play around with whether or not they go well if you let the head go and give them length of rein or not. Always wait to be instructed to do anything by the steward and if you need to leave the ring you must ask the steward.

Reactions: Lemme
Thank you!! Thats very helpful and makes sense!
My horse just looks at me like 'ugh what is the point of all this running' so this should be interesting haha! It's tomorrow so will let you know how we get on!

Good luck, remember just relax, have fun and enjoy it, remember to breath and smile, any nervousness or hesitation runs down the rein and shows in the display - we have had so much fun in hand showing we prefer it much more to ridden showing now........ :) let us know how you get on - didn't get to any last year but we are hoping to get them out again this year.........

Take something that rustles or treats in your pocket and when standing them up with the judge at the side take a step back from them and get the horses attention you don't have to have them all four square and for some classes it is more correct to get them to stand like this

so that the judge can see each leg and when the judge changes side they take a step back so that they are like this on the opposite side. Some local judges might not necessarily know this though so if you get the fronts square and the backs slightly out of line that should be Ok.
Always be polite to the judge smile and say good morning/afternoon and when stood in line don't fidget that goes for horse and handler.
If your horse is a hunter/riding horse or anything that should be plaited try some quartermarks to enhance the back end.

it is more correct to get them to stand like this

so that the judge can see each leg and when the judge changes side they take a step back so that they are like this on the opposite side. Some local judges might not necessarily know this though so if you get the fronts square and the backs slightly
Mine always stands like that. Perhaps we should do some classes.

Hello!
So we did okish, we got a few seconds, a 3rd and a 5th, placed in all classes but 3 (and not eligible for champion) but the judge liked her finer builds (it was on colours eg I was in the chestnut ring rather than builds) so the arabs did well and i think we did well considering!

Reactions: Lemme and GaryB
newrider.com