I wanted to know the best bit to buy for horse that never had one?

I might just be stingy but my answer (to the bit part) would be none - borrow lots until you find what they like best, or you could end up like me with enough bits to run my own bit bank!
On the saddle part my answer would always be - 'the very best you can afford', I know it sounds obvious but a bad saddle can do so much damage and its just about all that connect me to my horse so I like to know I've got something of quality to keep that connection, HaHa.
J

Have a look in his mouth to assess his conformation first. A fat tongue and low palate usually mean a thinner mouthpiece will fit more comfortably, and usually either a french link or unjointed mouthpiece suits these types better, since they follow the line of the tongue better and reduce the likelihood of pinching.

More room means a thicker mouth might be a better choice, especially if the mouth is particularly sensitive.

A high palate and thick tongue would be better with a ported mouthpiece, which affords the tongue more room but can bang on a low palate.

Very sensitive bars mean trying a hanging cheek is sometimes a good idea, as it reduces pressure on the mouth and tongue.

How does the horse react to poll and nose pressure? If pressure on the poll is a good thing and he goes happily that way, a pelham might be a good bet - has less mouth action, more poll action, and offers great refinement.

You also need to see what material best suits the horse - some like steel, others like a warmer metal (maybe copper or sweet iron), still others don't like metal at all and go well in rubber or vulcanite. Steer clear of nickel - it's not very hardwearing, and can occasionally snap. It's ok when used as an alloy with other metals.

The saddle needs to be properly fitted - style really doesn't make a huge difference to most horses although lots tend to go better in treeless saddles. Not all treeless saddles fit all horses though.

Hope that's of some use! :)

newrider.com