I want to go bootless, is that even term?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Who else is unshod and doesn't use boots either?

Initially we booted for all hacking on the fronts. That got changed gradually to rides over four miles and winter.
This winter just gone I didn't use them at all.
Just had farrier out to level up and said I don't plan on booting up this summer.
Obviously if she needs it will, just hoping we have strong enough growth coming down.

Brook is barefoot and does a fair bit of roadwork, she has great feet and doesn’t need boots either.

I had boots on Ziggy to start with and after his remedial farriery. Now we go out naked for up to 2 hours. If it's going to be longer than that I stick the boots on my saddle just in case.

He always chooses softer ground if he can, but doesn't say no to anything these days. My trimmer swore at his hufs today because they are so hard.

Nope bought Kia boots and never used them so I sold them.

Been rock crunching for years. We have had some hiccups, one stint (10 weeks) in front shoes after a hellish set of circumstances left him lame as a duck everywhere outside of the stable, but never needed boots.

Storm has never been shod and I used to hack her on roads and tracks daily - long time ago mind! But she was always fine. I guess she just has good feet? I was considering boots for pootling on her about the yard as it's school sized but VERY stony and I wondered if she wasn't coping. Not applicable now of course.

I have boots for Moët but never use them unless she is being a bit footy for any reason. Usually she only wears them for a few weeks a year. Hasn't worn them for about 2 years now.

Farrier said she has really good hard feet. They have just decided to resurface the road and she didn't notice the loose stones on it.
Though I did need to pick the blighters out as she was only trimmed two days ago!

Oscar has never been shod or booted.
He did have a problem with his hooves last summer- deep cracks. So I thought we might need to shoe. But he recovered well and no issues since then.

No reason why you can't. It's just showing that you would be marked down.
I think some championship classes might refuse entry. There was a news article somewhere about it.

Barefoot & never booted, here.

We routinely go miles over all sorts of terrain, stony ground included!

Barefoot with billy. He was a little footy last year when I brought him and we started hacking. In the summer I considered shoes as he was feeling to stones but farrier said give it time. He will feel the stones on the tracks but he needs to get use to your hacking, also he was young. He was right his feet have hardened. He has not be footy for about 8 months now. I also have not had him trimmed yet in the 18 months I've had him. I did look at him earlier and I think he might need a trim just to rebalance a front foot. I wonder whether it might make him footy though.

Mine just needed to be balanced on the fronts. Last trimmed about September. She still has hard hooves as only a bit needed doing.

newrider.com