I thought I was late for work. Tonsillectomy update.

Well I'm bored already :p but really in very little pain at all apart from close to taking pain meds when it gets a little sore.

Thanks everyone I'm expecting it to get worse so just eating etc while it's not so bad! And following all the recovery advice.

To be honest Ale I think you probably expected it to be much worse than it is, hospitals and lots of other people like to give you 'worst case scenarios' and don't forget, you have spent so many years really suffering with recurrent bouts of tonsillitis/throat infections etc so you are possibly tolerating the post op pain much better, I'm glad it's not too bad and I'm fairly certain you'll be doing stuff a lot sooner than you have been advised, just curious but what is the recovery advice?
If it's any consolation I was told I would be in hospital for at least a week and on oxygen for 48 hours following major surgery a few years ago, I was at home and out in the garden weeding 48 hours later (stupid idea so not advocating this) we are all different and experience pain and recovery different. Really pleased it's not been too bad and like we've said before you are young and so fit anyway it should be a breeze for you :)

To be honest Ale I think you probably expected it to be much worse than it is, hospitals and lots of other people like to give you 'worst case scenarios' and don't forget, you have spent so many years really suffering with recurrent bouts of tonsillitis/throat infections etc so you are possibly tolerating the post op pain much better, I'm glad it's not too bad and I'm fairly certain you'll be doing stuff a lot sooner than you have been advised, just curious but what is the recovery advice?
If it's any consolation I was told I would be in hospital for at least a week and on oxygen for 48 hours following major surgery a few years ago, I was at home and out in the garden weeding 48 hours later (stupid idea so not advocating this) we are all different and experience pain and recovery different. Really pleased it's not been too bad and like we've said before you are young and so fit anyway it should be a breeze for you :)

I don't want to jinx anything by agreeing with you yet haha but all I know so far is that I've only had a very mild sore throat but they did tell me it gets worse before it gets better!

They tell you to just rest and take things very easy, no exercise (except light walking) or crowds for around 10 days. I think it's just the bleeding they are worried about.

It's good to hear that your recovery wasn't as bad as they thought initially. I don't expect it to be this easy for the next 2 weeks but so far I'm comfy so will just make the most of it.

Despite the swelling I can already breathe so much better!

So glad your coming along
Did you have ice cream??
LOL they show offering it in old movies and it tried some when I got home and
omg its was horrible it did not feel better at all.

Ale will be happily waiting for you to recover!!

Reactions: MrA
No ice cream as I'm dairy intolerant! Also they tell you to try and eat normally now

So far I've had some toast, cold noodles and some dry cornflakes. Got a banana to eat in a bit just don't fancy it yet.

Waitrose and big Sainsbury stores sell Scandinavian dairy free ice cream. I buy it for my grand son.

Well done. I think you must have such a high pain threshold due to ask your previous infections, your high fitness levels PLUS your PMA from finally having the op, that you week cruise through your recovery. xx

Very glad to hear it is going well!

Frozen bananas are yummy...

The banana I had yesterday was disgusting! Apparently your taste buds can get a bit messed up and I am finding things do not taste as they should. I had some peas last night but they were very salty.

Apart from some slight pain when I woke at half 1 to take my pain meds still had nothing to complain about! Will see what the next few days bring as they are supposed to be alot worse!

So I had the surgery on Monday and it's now Friday, I've had very very little pain so far, nothing compared to actual tonsillitis.

I'm really really worried about it bleeding so I'm taking constant sips of water and eating pretty normally to try and prevent this. (at 2am I had 2 slices of cold toast with peanut butter and some tinned peaches so I could take my ibuprofen)

I can't believe how little it is actually hurting and I keep expecting it to get alot worse. Yesterday I went for a short walk to the shop with my boyfriend and today I hope to go a bit further to the park or something.

I've heard from people down the yard that ale is being very cheeky, hope he's not missing me as much as I miss him. I may go and visit him Sunday evening, but not sure yet as I know I probably should wait just want to see him!!

You know, it may be because you are young and very fit you will just shrug the surgery off. I know I didn't suffer much and I hope it is the same for you!

Glad it's not been as painful as expected. Bet Ale is missing you too!lol but I suspect if he's anything like my cheeky madam he'll still be as happy as Larry with his friends and food!

Apart from a slight bit of pain last night and it hurting a little when I eat I'm still fine :D I went for a half hour walk today, so good to be out! Scabs have started coming off in my throat, fingers crossed no bleeding as I'm so scared about that! And I can't talk but that's not really a problem.

Going to see Ale tomorrow evening, can't wait :D

newrider.com