I rode Hattie yesterday andtips needed for dealing with a horse that refuses to stand

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
So saddle fitter came last night and Hattie was a real baggage!!! She would NOT stand still! Was very bargy and naughty. Did not do my confidence much good. However i got on got oh to walk us round on a leadrope a few times :eek: and she began to settle...and it began to chuck it down :rolleyes: but ridden wise she was exactly as she was when i tried her. Apart from steering is not great, she obviously knew to stick to the track in the school at last home. Saddle fitted fine so stopped and was stood talking to saddle fitter feeling slightly more confident when i got on (she stands still when you are on her just kept chucking her head about) and out of no where a low flying RAF plane flew over sounding like a rocket :eek: :eek: and Hattie jumped an the spot and thats it!! so very pleased :D

However i really need to deal with this barginess and refusing to stand still. Farriers coming tomorrow and she cant behave like that for him :eek: Yesterday a started making her back up every time she moved and it seemed to work a bit but didnt stop her throwing her head about and headbutting everyone :rolleyes: So any tips generally on dealing with bargy mares and teaching manners much appreciated. I will dig my perfect manners book out but like to get a wide range of opinions and experiences :)

If she is anything like Captain then Clicker training will be the way forward......:rolleyes: He loves his treats for being a good boy.:D

Loads of groundwork and a Mum that is brave and doesnt stand for her nonsense. She is trying it on with you Sian. Tell her NO......:mad: ;)

What a good girlie for not flying faster than a rocket when the plane went over.:cool:

good idea nic, she is very food orientated so clicker training may work :) And believe me, i'm braver on the ground and i have told her NO!, she does half respond then tries again a few mins later :rolleyes: Dont like to do it but smacked bottom might be on its way soon as shes going to squash someone if she doesnt pack it in and its less likely to be me as i think she is vaguely more respectful of me. I also have her in a be nice halter which makes a big difference.

Last edited:
well just to prove me wrong we took both the girls for our first hack today, brought Hattie in and she stood perfectly tied up didnt put a foot wrong!! So i'll see how she is next time shes in without bim as it might just be nerves when shes seperated from her which should hopefully settle. Farrier visit later might be a little less eventful that i thought after all!!

The hack was good too. Its very windy but i bit the bullet and went anyway. She was a little spooky and didnt do too well when we needed to sneak past a car down our single track lanes but we managed and all in all considering thats her second hack in 6 months and first hack with me here she was a star :D and actually a bit of a plod afterall, she does need quite a bit of leg - reassuring as thats how she was sold to me.

Bim and Hattie are making friends at the moment as well. Probably becuase Bim is in season and is being disgusting - squirting everwhere :eek: but it seems to have made her a little more affectionate towards Hattie.

Unfortunately for Bim i think Hattie may have brought some little friends with her. I think Bim has mites. She was itching like mad when i brought her in and i noticed the other day she has a little bald patch on her face. She has also managed to rub a big chunk of mane out now too. Might explain why she has been looking so fed up lately. So off to the tack shop later for some powder.

So all in all im a happy bunny at the mo!!

Yeay! First ride out.... erm NO PHOTOS????? Tut tut!! RD :p

I'm glad it went fine.... and that things are settling slightly.

Re the farrier later. Can you not have a haynet hanging up for her to nibble on? I know you are trying to reduce her rations but the farrier won't take long and the amount of hay she may consume I'm sure won't turn her into a monster-fat beastie??? It just may be enough to keep her happy and tide her over.....

Food seems to make her more excitable but i'll have one prepared to give it a try if i need to.

Re the photos - i actually took the camera and in my excitement and nerves, totally forgot to take photos!!! What a nerd brain!! will get some next time tho promise ;)

Wasnt riding solo - OH rode out on bim with us. Not quite that brave yet ;)
Farrier came ant Hattie was fab. A bit fo dancing about when she got fed up but nothing much. She did manage to headbut me in the lip tho :rolleyes: Very pleased with her tho :)

newrider.com