Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

I Need him to get fatter!

Discussion in 'Metabolic' started by ChloeAnWomble, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

I think he is exceptionally handsome and looks lean and trim, a really good healthy weight coming out of winter. I wish my native pony was so slim!

Kite_Rider and ChloeAnWomble like this.
  2. ChloeAnWomble

ChloeAnWomble Chloe and Merlin

Thankyou! thankfully im not on a yard and have my own private place on a farm where its just my horses and one i have on working livery, just people i know and regularly go to competitions with are telling me and i dont want to say no to them because i value their friendship and advice on some things but im not fussed about showing i wont show him hes 14hh registered C so he wouldnt get anywhere anyway! but being told hes too underweight for me to be riding all the time he needs to be in a pumped full of food and rug him to high heaven i dont like, id rather my horse as he does lives out 24/7 with a shelter that if hes cold he can go in hay in the field and comes in every day to be ridden then a feed once hes settled after being ridden dont like giving them feedthey dont really need and hate having them in all the time dont mind the occasional overnight ebfore a show and things but not 24/7 in hed be crazy to ride!

3. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Well, hear hear! You'll find many people that agree with you on this forum.

Don't get me started on horses having to be in "show condition" i.e. fat. Let them live out and be healthy!

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. ChloeAnWomble

Thankyou! He's a very handsome boy An he is now concentrating on getting topline and muscle on him

6. ChloeAnWomble

Yeah exactly none of my horses will ever be in "show condition" especially when I own a section A I keep being told is skinny when I thought she was a nice weight and I'd rather them not be fat because of the lami risk!

7. joellie

joellie Well-Known Member

I think he looks fantastic and agree with what everyone else has said. He looks great for coming out of winter into spring, I wouldn't be trying to fatten him up if I were you :)

ChloeAnWomble likes this.
  8. ChloeAnWomble

he's currenly having a feed every day and is keeping at that weight so going to keep him on that i think! Thankyou for your advice everyone!

9. SmallHunter

SmallHunter Member

Show Condition should not mean fat and if people have been telling you that it does then they do not understand what show condition is.

newforest and carthorse like this.
  10. Kite_Rider

Kite_Rider Cantering cabbage!

Jane this is one of my biggest bugbears, I've seen obese horses placed where horses at a healthy weight get nothing, it's time the vets stepped in and re educated some judges.

ChloeAnWomble likes this.
The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties