Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

I need a confidence boost!!

Discussion in 'Confidence Club' started by Eloushka, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Eloushka

Eloushka New Member

I've recently had a new horse, he's 14, been there done that so he knows his job.
    I've gone from a really sluggish pony to him, and whenever we do anything he gets frustrated with me because I don't let him move and then he throws in some acrobatics.
    I need to learn to just trust him and let him go. I know that when we get to a jump we are going over because he's so reliable so why can't I hurt leg him go???
    Can anyone give me some advise please

2. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

Hi Eloushka :)

How strange, I've only just seen your post!

Congratulations on your new horse. As for your confidence with him, all I can suggest is that if you're feeling a little unsure at the moment, you take it slowly and take the time to build up trust between you both. You don't have to be jumping straight away. Reading between the lines it sounds as though you are revving him up to do something exciting, then holding him back because you are nervous. If this is the case (and apologies if it isn't) he is bound to be confused and unsure and also all the energy he has created for doing the 'exiting thing' will have to go somewhere, hence the acrobatics. If I were you I'd stick to the non-exciting stuff until you get to know each other a bit better and you'll probably find that you're ready to move on in no time at all. Less is often more!

Jessey likes this.
  3. squidsin

squidsin Well-Known Member

Just take your time. Trust doesn't just happen, you have to let it build in your own time. If you don't feel confident jumping, then don't jump for now. You risk damaging your confidence more if you try and tackle something you're not ready for. if you can afford riding lessons, this is (in my experience) the best way of growing together with your horse and improving your confidence.

My advice is just to chill and enjoy him and take it steady for now.

Jessey likes this.
The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties