I am fuming!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I've just had the new vet for ale.

They were fantastic and very thorough. But they did not tell me at any point they were injecting ale with steroids!!!

So just as he was leaving he said 'oh yes make sure you keep him in'

So ale is on 48 hour boxrest and I am petrified he's going to get laminitis.

The one thing I wanted to avoid and I'm furious with the vet

And breathe. Okay, do not panic he will be fine. Those injections carry a risk and it's something our vet always tells us but it is normally minimal. Ale is not fat so that's something in your favour already. I had them done for both J and Storm and no ill side effects happened. Stormy is not the slimmest and never has been but all went well each time. I think they say to keep in because of the risk of injection infection into the site mainly - and when they are in you can monitor closely. I tried to keep their beds very clean - well, as clean as you can really. Whereabouts about his body has he been injected?

I know I don't need to tell you this anyway, but don't not feed him as normal specially because he's on box rest as that might upset him even more. Do you soak his hay anyway? I can't remember? But you want to keep him chilled if possible, I know I had to with Storm after her hock injections. Sorry for waffling - just thinking out loud. What I mean is don't ration him more than normal with hay as it's only two days. Well that's just my thought anyway. Can you tell us more about the vet visit?

All you can do now is follow instructions to the letter & monitor his digital pulses closely. If you see anything that gives you any concern then get in touch with the vet immediately, but then I don't need to tell you that.

I would ring up the practice & complain, making it very clear that if you'd been told they were looking at using steroids you would have refused. Then put it in writing, keep a copy & send recorded delivery too. Like you I'd be fuming and if, God forbid, there's any side effect I'd be taking it further hence the letter to log a complaint as well as the phone call.

I'm shaking still, I've never been more upset in my whole life. Thank-you both for your really helpful replies.

Just googling now how to check a digital pulse. He's on megre soaked rations over the next few days and I've put a sign on his door saying no feed/treats etc.

I'm just so so scared he's going to get lami, lost both my old share horse to lami.

I'm shaking still, I've never been more upset in my whole life. Thank-you both for your really helpful replies.

Just googling now how to check a digital pulse. He's on megre soaked rations over the next few days and I've put a sign on his door saying no feed/treats etc.

I'm just so so scared he's going to get lami, lost both my old share horse to lami.

Sending you my best soothing vibes. I will keep everythihg crossed for you both.

Reactions: lauren123 and MrA
They were injecting him anesthetic to nerve block. I don't see why they have medicated all the areas before knowing which were causing issues!

I still can't believe they have done this!!

I have done some more googling and it seems quite common for horses to get very bad lami following steroid injections.

Please please keep everything crossed he's okay.

Just remember that people tend to post bad experiences, not good ones, so what you find on google are likely to be worst case scenarios seeming far more common than they really are. (((Hugs))), I can imagine just how shaken you are, and I'm keeping everything crossed for him xxx

I think also for the next couple of weeks I will be turning him out as late as possible eg going back to the yard about 8/9pm and the getting him in about 5am. This means a hell of a lot more cycling but I can't live with myself if he gets sick now

Reactions: carthorse
Also if the vet thought Ale was high risk he wouldn't have done it so that's some comfort I'm sure
It'll be fine
My old cob had them too into her coffin joint and was totally fine also

Thank-you again. I need him to be okay!

Just read it all. Omg I would be fuming too and I agree with you too ale. Why be injecting him with steroids when they don't know fully what's causing his issue. And, a big and not speaking to you first!!!

Mine has had at least three steroid injections and he was fine, try not to worry. Does Ale have history of laminitis ?

Reactions: Trewsers
Goodness, that's naughty :eek:
They were injecting him anesthetic to nerve block. I don't see why they have medicated all the areas before knowing which were causing issues!
So they injected steroids at the same time as blocking? or after?

newrider.com