I’ve finally started with riding lessons!

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
First of all... Hi everyone!

The title says it all... I've loved horses since I can remember but riding has always been too expensive to be considered. Just last year, as I graduated from college, picked up my first paycheques and went to New Zealand for a month, did that nagging dream resurfaced.
I took the opportunity to take a 5 hour long trail ride, and what can I say – I was definitely hooked. The ride was my first riding experience and it went perfectly. I felt confident with the people and the horse (a real four legged angel), and I was very keen in learning and enjoying it. When I came back I had to settle down a bit, but this summer the (obvious!) idea struck me – why not take riding lessons? I could afford them now!
So, I bought the needed gear and looked around for a stable. I ended up finding one rather close to where I live, and I've just started.

The school is a smallish family business with the good and bad that comes with that. There are about 15 horses that look happy and well care for (to my inexperienced eye), two arenas (one covered) and a medium paddock. The only negative issue is rider safety – but that’s pretty much a national (Portuguese) issue :rolleyes:. I had to search just about everywhere to find a certified helmet. When I was resigned to buying one online, I stumbled on a store with a good ventilated schooling helmet which I’m now the proud owner of. Everyone I’ve seen, without exception, was using £10-coconout-husk-apparell-only type helmets (ironically helmets are compulsive for lessons). I have yet to talk to anyone who knows anything about helmet certification (including the storeowner I bought my helmet from)!

As for the lessons, I’ve had a short introductory lesson and a full one. Both were lunge lessons without stirrups and saddle, just a blanket and this thingy(?) in front of me with two handles. The instructor is high on saddless lunge lessons, and I have to agree with him. The lack of saddle helps feeling the movement of the horse under you and forces you to relax, correct your position and balance – specially at the trot and canter (no rising trot here). Although my "male appendages" did tremble with fear :eek:.

One of the first things the instructor taught me is using the seat to speed or slow the horse. One of the first things the mare taught me is the different way a horse will behave with a novice rider if the teacher is present and the student is carrying a whip. At the beginning of the lesson, I was left following an advanced student trotting around the arena as a warm-up, as the teacher had to leave for a few minutes. The mare would not keep up by accelerating (as much as I might kick her - she knew I was too shy to kick harder), but by cutting corners (as much as I tried to turn her the other way she would bend her head all the way and keep going the way she wanted). After the lunge lesson I spent another half hour following the other student, this time with the instructor and the whip the mare was a different horse ;).

Anyone has any comments or suggestions? Is anyone still awake :)? BTW I have read Heather’s book (most of it is still over my head – but I’ll get there with time), "Taking up riding as an adult", "Getting the most from riding lessons" and Stephen Budiansky "The nature of horses". Any other suggestions?

Well, that’s just it for today :), If anyone’s interested I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Pedro Fortunato
Lisbon

HI Pedro,

Lucky you, living in a country where there is much good instruction of offer, and your stunning Lusitano horses. My ambition is till to own one, but until I can afford one that is really top class, so that I can show these Brits that Iberian horses can move as well as warmbloods, I will have to wait!

I go to Luis Valenca Rodrigues for training, at Vila Franca, not a million miles from Lisbon. I should have been there again last month, and for Gologa horse fair, but with much regret, I am too busy this time. next year for certain! I hope to go back to Luis early next year anyway. Most of my training has been Portuguese, as my main trainers have been pupils of the Maestro Nuno Oliveiera, probably the greatest classical horsesman of this century.

Incidentally, I wish that my totally non-existent Portuguese, was a fraction as good as your English!
Keep us posted as to your progress. Riding saddleless on the lunge is an excellent way to start- if only the lunge was used more for beginners here!

All the best, and good luck,

Heather

I've finally started with riding lessons

Hi,

I read your post with interest. I wish you the best of luck with your riding and do keep us posted. I have been
riding for around15months now and totally obsessed. I have unfortunately never been given the opportunity to ride without a saddle, something I would like to try but I still have not got the hang of trotting without strirrups yet, which I am working on. I have had one longe lesson which I enjoyed thoroughly. With hindsight and reading postings on this board I wish I had started out different, but unfortunately I am not a very confident rider and probably would have been horrified if my first lesson I had no saddle. Up until 18months ago can you believe I would not go within 2 miles of a horse, I was terrified, I have proved to myself it can be done, I will never be a brilliant rider, but I enjoy it and it has become part of my life (all I need now is my own horse!)

Hope you enjoyed New Zealand, I visited there many years ago and loved it

Happy riding

Beverley

HI again Pedro,

I think that you would find my video helpful, which covers the first quarter of my book as a visual reference. You would probably find it easier to absorb at this stage in your riding career. It shows the way to sit, saddle design and how it affects the rider, and demonstrates the way to absorb the horse's movement in all three paces, plus rising trot, showing the right and wrong ways so that you have a comparison. A second video will be out next year to cover the next quarter, concentrating on 'feel'and the aids.

It is available from my agents here in the UK, Feedmark, tel 1986 782368.

Heather

Hi Pedro,

I'm sure that I speak for many others, but please do keep us posted on your progress. I too would love to hear how you get on with the lunge lessons.

BTW, don't worry about the length of the posts as it makes very interesting reading :)

Enjoy yourself

Vicki

I live in New Zealand

Pedro-
I live in New Zealand.Whereabouts did you visit (I live in the North Canterbury,South Island).Where did you go for your trek?
Emma

Hi Pedro

Well done for having the nerve to finally start riding lessons, (and as a man!). I went on holiday to Portugal last year and the hotel had an equestrian centre so I went along and booked a lesson. When I turned up, the instructor said "no saddle" - I said, "yes, a saddle please." To cut a long story short, the horse was led out WITHOUT a saddle. I thought well, be brave and get on with it. (By the way, I own my own horse and have done for the past 12 years but you do get used to riding one horse and riding another one is very different. And my horse is a cob and the mare they led out was a fine type Lusitano). Anyhow, I thought let's get on with it. She also had a surcingle with two hand hold thingies. Of course I was on the lunge as well. My husband was watching and took some photo's. I think they say it all! By the end of the lesson I was really beginning to enjoy myself and really thought that I'd been EVER so brave so for you to start off that way on a horse - WELL DONE! The arena was quite near a road and a lorry went by with flapping plastic on the back. My horse shot forward and was going round in canter towards gallop on about a 12 metre circle! More to the point I stayed on and just went with the flow!

However, I did decide that discretion is the better part of valour and didn't book another lesson. I sort of now wished that I had.

Good luck with your riding those beautiful Portugese horses!

Judy

Heather:

Do you have a snail mail (e-mail even better) address for your agents? I am interested in your video, but I really don’t care for an over-seas phone conversation in English. I write allot better than I speak :)!

Last friday they had some of the horses loose in the paddock. Among them was a beautiful white Lusitano stallion. Was that boy HUGE and muscular! Still he looked gentle and playful. When he turned is rump to me I could see he had the CN iron from the Coudelaria National (the supplier of horses to the Portuguese School of Equestrian Art). Was I dreaming of riding him (I’ll get there! I’ll get there!). Considering my "flying dismount" in friday’s lesson, good thing I wasn’t riding him then ;) (See the thread "Riding takes my breath away!")!

Emarmite:

Ridding without saddle is a bit scary (going round and round in canter :eek: ) but it is great to teach you balance. There is nothing but your body to balance you. The handles I had help, you can keep your hands there and grip if you feel yourself slipping.
Yours the real courage! I have no fear (my luck) so there is no inner strength needed, I just "go with the flow". Getting over your fears (and I have a few of my own!) is what really takes guts!

Emma_G_NZ:

Ha! A Kiwi! :)
I spent a month down under, from mid December 99 to mid January 2000. I arrived in Auckland, spent four days in Great Barrier Island. When straight south to Franz Joseph by Wellington, Picton and Nelson. Spent Christmas there, then to Queenstown (did the trek in Glenorchy – Dart Stables). New year’s in Kaikoura, then to Turangi. Did the Tongariro Northen circuit, went to Rotorua, spent one day in Waitomo. Then it was Auckland and back home! I did just about every crazy thing I could think of (including horse riding :). It was just a blast! I have a keen intention of going back, this time for at least three months. I’ll probably have to wait a few years and go whenever I change jobs.
It seems I passed close by to you – do you live near to Kaikoura?

judy leggett:

In fact Judy, as I said I don’t deserve credits. It’s easy when you’re not afraid. Ask me to do anything involving large masses of water and you’ll see ;)! BTW, where have you been in Portugal?

Dying for my wednesday lesson...

Pedro Fortunato

HI Pedro,

Write to my agents at Feedmark, Church Farm, St.Cross, Harleston, Norfolk, England, IP20 0NY. I went to see the Portuguese School of Equestrian Art when I was over for the Lisbon Show in June. I made myself a few less friends on the Internet when I said that they were far better than the Spanish Riding School!

It was wonderful- I have seen them before in the UK when they were on tour, but to see them at home, it was like stepping back 200 years to a more genteel age, yet still being in the 21st century. It had such a timeless air that it was almost unreal. Stunning riding and work.

My great ambition is to have a couple of top quality Lusos to do displays herein the UK. The best are so expensive now, that I eityer a)have to win the lottery, or b) find a nice breeeder who wants to sell stock to the UK, who will let me have them cheaper for providing a 'shop window' for them!

I will be back in Portugal, probably near Sintra, in the spring with some Lusitano breeder friends- perhaps we can meet up for a drink!

Heather

Pedro.

You lucky, lucky man !

I've ALWAYS loved horses, just never had access to them, what with living in central London.

A few weeks ago, Channel 4 showed the film Black Beauty. Well there I was SOBBING my heart out and wondering what the hell I was doing being so soppy. I then realised that the huge great chunk missing from my life was doing what I always wanted to do. Ride and care for horses and ponies.

I'm now totally enveloping my life with all things horsey and loving every moment. I shall be reading all your experiences posted on this site. You have achieved so much - something both you and Pimpao can be truely proud of. Please keep us posted. It's fabulous to read.

Kind regards

Polly

newrider.com