How to juggle

Hoof_hearted

Aug 29, 2017
Just curious as to what magical tips and advice anyone is willing to share about juggling a toddler, horses, home life and work?

At the moment I get to the horses every chance I get which definitely isn't as much as i like and on the occasions i do i then feel like everything's a mad rush when I get home to get things tidied up, dinner cooked, a toddler to feed bath and bed. On the times when I don't drag my daughter along with me I always feel I'm rushing whatever I'm doing at the horses in order to get home as soon as possible so as I'm not taking advantage of whichever kind family member I dumped my daughter on.

On another note, would it be classed as cruel to put my daughter in a travel cot at the gate of the field while i school my horses :D:D:D:D

Reactions: Mary Poppins
It's not easy for sure! When I first bought my horse my youngest son was 16 months old and my eldest was 4. I was working part time (2 days per week) and my husband worked very long hours. I had my horse on part livery and used to go and ride late in the evening (about 8pm/9pm) when my husband got home and the boys were both sleeping. At that time, I couldn't have coped with DIY, it just would have been too much. I would have happily have put up a travel cot, but my youngest would just scream for me to pick him up and I quickly realised that time at the yard was much easier without them.

Six years on and I am on DIY and things are much easier. The boys come to the yard with me and play with the dogs and there are now sensible enough for me to ride in the school and they can occupy themselves with the yard dogs. I don't have any extended family nearby, but my husband is very supportive and always encourages me to ride. That makes all the difference.

Reactions: Hoof_hearted
It's not easy for sure! When I first bought my horse my youngest son was 16 months old and my eldest was 4. I was working part time (2 days per week) and my husband worked very long hours. I had my horse on part livery and used to go and ride late in the evening (about 8pm/9pm) when my husband got home and the boys were both sleeping. At that time, I couldn't have coped with DIY, it just would have been too much. I would have happily have put up a travel cot, but my youngest would just scream for me to pick him up and I quickly realised that time at the yard was much easier without them.

Six years on and I am on DIY and things are much easier. The boys come to the yard with me and play with the dogs and there are now sensible enough for me to ride in the school and they can occupy themselves with the yard dogs. I don't have any extended family nearby, but my husband is very supportive and always encourages me to ride. That makes all the difference.
How old were your boys when you could trust them to keep themselves occupied.
(I don't know how people can go back for a second child haha I miss my sleep)
I feel bad because I feel as if I'm wishing my daughter's life away for my own needs haha poor bugger i've been eyeing up a kids wheelbarrow shovel and brush set on eBay :D:D:D:D

my mini has just started school and I have to admit that this last few weeks Ive spent time with my horse (s) that has made me realise that everything has been ridiculously rushed and being done by halves. Its been manageable and I wouldn’t have had it any other way but it was sooo nice to spend time and not rush.

When Mini was very small I used to park his pram in my trailer with the ramp down and ride some circles around it in the field. I dont think it was ever very purposeful but it made me feel better :D

newrider.com