How many of you

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Have your turnout field or fields down the road from the yard/home?
Just thinking about what @HaloHoney mentioned about turning out and bringing in.
Am I lucky to have all my turnout all on the yard?

The ones I use are all from the yard, I have 5 acres including the yard and sheds so probably about 4 acres of grazing, which is plenty. I have more across the road but have to also go through to locked gates so its a nuisance. . I sometimes put the sheep across the road.

Mine is down the road from home, maybe 3 mins walk. When I shared G the other summer his field was a good half a mile from the yard, down the drive between other fields that had holiday liveries in, then through the forest, G was good but it added a lot of time to doing him as even if not riding he still had to come up to the yard for feed and lotions for his sweet itch. Bo would have been a nightmare there, running the gauntlet between new horses every few days would have sent him into orbit.

Turnout is all within the farm. Jack's winter field is 50ft from his stable, Gracie's is a 2 minute walk around the fishing pools.

All my turnout is here as in no roads to cross. Back at old place even though we owned the private road others had access and used it regularly which was a pain sometimes if the horses were acting daft on their way to or from the field. It just doesn't help having two big girls jumping about on the end of lead ropes when a tractor or quad is going hell for leather past you!
Very lucky now as it couldn't be any simpler and user friendly. Love this place.

I recall having to take my horse up the road to the turnout and it was a nuisance for those three months. Ended up having saddle in a bin at the field to save having to go back and forth. Was weird set up a wasnt allowed to use the yard that would have made life easier. :rolleyes:

Across and down the road a little way. Wouldn't like it if he was in and out every day as limited to daylight hours really. As it is he only comes over every few weeks so it's no bother. Quite lucky there are some width restriction bollards just along from yard entrance so that slows traffic and less lorries. I always bring across in a bridle with head collar on top. We walk them along the pavement which probably isn't allowed?

We walk them along the pavement which probably isn't allowed?
It's not permitted. But I have chosen to ride on the pavement of a busy road to save holding up the traffic that couldn't pass due to traffic calming bollards. Mr plod drove by and I waved and internally died but they didn't stop me.
Would I do it again, yes. It allowed the traffic to flow and was safe than having lorries pass at such close proximity.

Reactions: MrA
I have to walk for 5 minutes down a lane to get to one of our fields. It is a private road though so hardly ever get cars going down it.

Annie used to be in one about 10mins' round trip from the yard, but I just barebacked in and out so it didn't really matter!

We do have single width lanes as the farm spreads over a few hundred acres but there is only one field where we have to walk about 100yds along it. Just before the gate is a 90° bend in the road so everyone drives slowly there anyway.

newrider.com