How many layers

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Do you wear at this time of the year to do your horses lol I know I am a big woman but I am currently wearing a pair of thermal leggings..... and jeans.... a thermal long sleeved top, a horsey t shirt.....a hoodie .... a coat and a neck snuggly ...... ear warmers ,riding short boots 2 pair of socks and two pairs of gloves

I look twice the size I do normally lol but I hate the cold :(

Less is more for me, I find if my feet, hands and head are warm the rest seems to stay toast, chemical foot warmers are the answer to my winter nightmares.
I have a thermal base layer, usually silk or merino wool, a fleece and a ski jacket on top with winter breeches on my legs, thickish socks, sealskinz gloves and a fleece hat, with the foot warmers and hand warmers if it’s really cold and I’m fine.

Reactions: Native Lover
I have found the older I get the more layers i seem to add on lol I am wearing a long sleeve thermal top, t shirt, jumper, hoodie and coat. Along with thermal socks and riding long boots, two pair of gloves and a wooly hat the type that has the long plaits hanging so i comes down well over my ears, I look a sight but I don't care :D

I tend to have at least two layers on Kia and about that on me in winter.

If I am hacking then I have thermal tights, then jodhpurs then water proof fleece lined over trousers :) when mucking out I tend to peel layers off

Just one layer. So long as my feet and hands and head are covered they stay reasonably warm. Having said that I almost resorted to digging out an old balaclava yesterday as my face went dead walking down to the post box at the end of our drive. I actually get quite ratty if I have to layer up, I hate feeling restricted.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
It varies daily.
I have just ridden out in my base layer, thin gilet and windproof tabard with summer gloves. Two pairs of socks, winter weight jods with windproof thigh cover.
I was just under tepid which was fair enough maybe my ears will go on now. :D

How do you all go on wearing two pairs of socks?? Surely your feet can hardly move inside your boots???? Or do you buy biggers sized winter boots??????

Reactions: newforest
I have always been a cold person but the menopause has other ideas so either I'm freezing or boiling and for that reason I now prefer to have only a couple of thin layers underneath, say a t-shirt and a fleece and then a down jacket on top that is snuggly warm but easy to whip off in the heat of the moment so to speak. I wear winter thickness jods and put on my waterproof trousers for extra warmth if needed because they stop any wind chill. Two pairs of socks and boots with a thick sole and room around the toes to trap in warm air. Gloves are a problem because I haven't found any that stop the end of my fingers getting nippy. I tend therefore to wear fingerless gloves and put my hands in my pockets as much as possible. Woolly hat decorated with hay completes the look ... stunning :D

Reactions: Trewsers
How do you all go on wearing two pairs of socks?? Surely your feet can hardly move inside your boots???? Or do you buy biggers sized winter boots??????
Thin cotton long socks with thin cotton over the top. It's snug probably but fine.

That's where I would hop on and ride down and back. :D

Lol OH does that! Sometimes when he doesn't really want to hack properly I tack Zi up and they just potter about the yard and down the drive - I should ask them to fetch the mail back next time, would be useful practice for OH getting on from the ground......:D

Reactions: newforest
Lol OH does that! Sometimes when he doesn't really want to hack properly I tack Zi up and they just potter about the yard and down the drive - I should ask them to fetch the mail back next time, would be useful practice for OH getting on from the ground......:D
You can get a little saddle bag. Probably a bank or gate he could practice lining him up to.
I ride round our yard and check for rubbish it's fun and she loves stopping.:rolleyes:

Long sleeve T shirt under a fleece snd my padded hi viz 3/4 length jacket over the top. Buff, pom hat and gloves. Jods only unless riding out then I wear fleece lined leggings underneath. Heat-saver socks.

I wore 5 pairs of socks today. 1 thin, 1 knee length slightly thicker, thick wool pair and then 2 pairs of those really thick heat holder ones. This was inside wellies and my feet were snug all day. Then I had on thermal leggings and jodhpurs, long sleeve thermal top, which is stupidly low cut, silly design, as if that bit would not feel the cold :rolleyes: so normal t shirt over the top, jumper, thin waterproof coat (keeps the wind out) ski jacket on top, woolly hat, thin gloves and then ski gloves over the top. In my defence it's very cold on the bike with wind chill. Part of the day I had shed both the coats and it's warmed up tonight so was a toasty cycle home!

Today was a pair of tights, leggings and jeans. Two t-shirts, jumper, body warmer and think hiviz coat. Had my snood up over my head and a hat on top. I look silly but I was warm. Put my riding boots on to ride as they were warmer than my wellies.

I had 5 layers on the top today which included 2 coats. Thermal long johns, winter weight breeches and waterproof fleece lined chaps (couldn't cope without them) 2 pairs of socks and 2 pairs of gloves.

Hmm, I was actually too warm today, short sleeve t-shirt, furry lined sweatshirt and a padded jacket. Winter weight jobs, a pair of heat holder socks with a second pair of cotton socks over the top, in normal wellies, and a warm hat.

I wore 5 pairs of socks today. 1 thin, 1 knee length slightly thicker, thick wool pair and then 2 pairs of those really thick heat holder ones. This was inside wellies and my feet were snug!
Jeesh... Just how big are your wellies??? :p

errrrrm well lol im on a hill top in north aberdeenshire and i was out in the snow today, it was -4.... i had on a tshirt and jumper, admittedly my big karrimor parka coat, a buff and a hat and gloves. any more and i would have been cooking but after barrowing out hay to 16 ponies and 12 sheep i was melting !

newrider.com