How long until canter and jump?

DaisyA

Jun 2, 2017
Hey! So, I've had around 5 or 6 lessons ever, and had one yesterday for the first time in about 8 months. My instructor says that I've already mastered the rising trot which is quite rare apparently. My question is, how long do you think it will be until I can canter and jump? I will be having a private lesson every two weeks OR a group lesson every week, I haven't decided yet. Also, which do you think I'll progress more with? Thankyou!

If you can afford it go in the group lesson (you get more saddle time with a weekly lesson and learn from the other students but have a private once a month or so.

No one can forecast how long things will take. The students who canter very soon arent always the best riders in the end. Those who learn to rise in trot quickly often find sitting trot very hard and the other way round. I dont jump. But some schools teach it very early. My OH took about 10 months to learn to canter. I took twice as long to be happy at it. One day I admired how a teenager was cantering in the school and the RI told me it had taken her 7 years to canter. She had been the last in the class to learn and now she was superb.

It may seem strange to someone just starting, but a lot of riding depends on how you are balanced in the saddle - secure on your seat bones, and how you can feel the horse under you and communicate with the horse. It involves turning and circling along with the horse - and this is often learned simply by walking about. No one can actually see how your body is learning the new skills. And you are learning how to position the four legs of the horse.

Last edited:
I think it's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions. It can depend on so many different things. I'd just enjoy your lessons for now and see how you progress.

Thanks guys! I'll start in the group lesson I think with a private every so often. I don't mind how long it takes because as you say, those who learn first aren't always the best. I'd much rather be better over time and who knows, I might get it immediately or it might take years. I really enjoy riding so I'll just carry on with lessons and see how it goes!

Well I had my first canter on my very first hack... I also had my first gallop, first jump and first fall on that ride. NONE of which were intentional... or even remotely enjoyable :rolleyes: Don't run before you can walk is my advice! Just enjoy the journey.

Thanks! The last thing I'd want is to rush it and have to go all over again from the beginning.

Thanks! The last thing I'd want is to rush it and have to go all over again from the beginning.

It can be worse than go over it all again, it can play havoc with your confidence & affect you for a very long time. My suspicion is that whatever your instructor says I very much doubt that after 5 or 6 - surely you can remember which! - lessons which aren't even close together it's very unlikely that you've truly mastered anything. What your RI probably means is that you've done well for a beginner & are managing to keep a 1 - 2 rhythm in your rising trot rather than bouncing around all over the place, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of basic work left to do in it or that you're balanced or have enough control to move up to canter yet. Keep at it, and I think that probably group lessons so you get more time in the saddle will be better.

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure I just misinterpreted what she meant. I'll just go with it and when my instructor says I'm ready, I'm ready. I just wondered if I could have a rough estimate of when it would be but now I realize it's really a personal thing that changes for everyone.

Just to comfort you Daisy, with riding no one ever has to go right back to the beginning. The hours you have spent with horses and in the saddle build up as good experience.
But in another sense all riders (every now and then or if they are stuck) do go back to the beginning by changing teachers, changing to a different horse or changing the style of riding they are using. Think of riding as a bit like learning a foreign language or learning a musical instrument - there are different methods of teaching and different styles.
Same with riding. One day you will come across a teacher who tells you everything you have learned so far is wrong.
It wasnt, it was just different.
And as you learn more you will be able to choose the sort of riding that suits you - that is why riding is so interesting and for lots of us here is something we go on learning to do well for the whole of our lives.

Thankyou for this reply. That's really good to know and I'm glad you've told me! If I ever change stables or learn a new style it's comforting to know I'll take my skills with me.

newrider.com