Horses and Heat

I don't have a polo pony :p

Mine are in during the day with a salt block in each stable. They aren't exercised in high temperatures because I can't cope with the heat. G doesn't do anywhere near enough work to justify electrolytes, and I wouldn't give them anyway because at a vet talk a couple of weeks ago the presenting vet spoke of electrolytes causing gastric ulcers.... being mildly electrolyte deficient is better than having ulcers IMHO.

Not sure what comments you are expecting Skib? None of us have polo ponies, which are worked at very high intensity in short bursts. Polo ponies need very specific management, and they are working horses. There's not a lot of similarity between working polo ponies and leisure horses.

I am going to the polo on Sunday at Windsor so will report back! It's not going to be so hot though - around 20 degrees - so not anticipating the horses struggling so much.

Reactions: domane
I did know this, and I would have preferred it if the article had stressed the importance of offering plain water as well as water with electrolytes - some horses don't like them & either won't drink or don't drink enough which is counterproductive. I was also taught not to add them to feed or syringe them in case the horse then didn't drink enough because you could cause problems that way too.

I find it useful for the emphasis based on forage, far too often this is overlooked & I suspect it's a real problem for ponies kept on strict diets & maybe some competition horses (though they at least are likely to get electrolytes). Dry forage can also be soaked to increase water uptake in horses that aren't drinking enough.

I did read the link but found it of no purpose as it was just stating what any horse owner knows. It was pointing out the dangers of riding in the heat and how important it is to cool down the horses after exercising and to keep them hydrated. Also as everyone else has pointed out we do not have polo ponies mostly just leisure horses.

Not sure what comments you are expecting Skib? None of us have polo ponies, which are worked at very high intensity in short bursts. Polo ponies need very specific management, and they are working horses. There's not a lot of similarity between working polo ponies and leisure horses.

I am going to the polo on Sunday at Windsor so will report back! It's not going to be so hot though - around 20 degrees - so not anticipating the horses struggling so much.

I think the article is relevant to all horses Squidsin, just the problem is less extreme in leisure horses. Though having said that at least polo ponies are lean & fit for the job, not something that is true for quite a few leisure horses.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I think the article is relevant to all horses Squidsin, just the problem is less extreme in leisure horses. Though having said that at least polo ponies are lean & fit for the job, not something that is true for quite a few leisure horses.
Working fat horses hard in hot weather would certainly be a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Trewsers
not polo - but if off competing , xc or an endurance ride in hot weather then i would take along electrolytes , plain water and also i make a very (very!) sloppy feed with fast fibre to take.

newrider.com