Horse wont stop knocking jumps down!!1

What checks did your vet do? I'd be wanting lameness work up personally.

You said grids don't help and you've been working with the horse for four years, what does your instructor say? You can't make an un careful horse careful though, you can improve but they're either naturally careful or they're not. Have you got video photos of the horse jumping? Do you get a good canter not too fast or flat?

My daughter's old pony Lisa knocked poles all the time but was clear XC. She was an economical jumper and cleared things by a few millimetres. So in any round she would tend to roll a pole or two. Nothing to do with ability or height of the fences. We just had to accept that SJ was not her thing, she simply did not see the need in being careful over coloured poles. On the other hand some horses kick all the fences in or plough through them which looks more like an evasion. I am sure the people who instruct you are much better able to give advice than a forum can. I do understand your frustration though. It was annoying for my daughter that Lisa had poles down so often. But in her head there was no reason to be especially careful and I don;t think that is trainable.

What checks did your vet do? I'd be wanting lameness work up personally.

You said grids don't help and you've been working with the horse for four years, what does your instructor say? You can't make an un careful horse careful though, you can improve but they're either naturally careful or they're not. Have you got video photos of the horse jumping? Do you get a good canter not too fast or flat?
No got a really nice bouncy canter and instructor thinks it laziness because she said my positons fine x got some photos on phone will try to post them but please note hate for position cos from when I had dislocated my knee but still wanted to ride so it was quite weak

Really sorry but can't get any images or videos to put on but u can see some photos of him on hoof behind the lens area sj grassroots. He is a chestnut section d x

My daughter's old pony Lisa knocked poles all the time but was clear XC. She was an economical jumper and cleared things by a few millimetres. So in any round she would tend to roll a pole or two. Nothing to do with ability or height of the fences. We just had to accept that SJ was not her thing, she simply did not see the need in being careful over coloured poles. On the other hand some horses kick all the fences in or plough through them which looks more like an evasion. I am sure the people who instruct you are much better able to give advice than a forum can. I do understand your frustration though. It was annoying for my daughter that Lisa had poles down so often. But in her head there was no reason to be especially careful and I don;t think that is trainable.
Thanks . I only really get taught when I go to pc but they are really helpfull!

Could you put the number of your pics on here please, I'm nosy and would love to have a look :) no critique

Reactions: Chaz2015
You shouldnto judge before u have actually seen this horse jump ! It is not because of him being stiff that he is doing thisome as anew actual professional has told us this the stiffness was very slight and they worked on it so is now very very slight ! has done be loads with my brother and he is still fit to compete !
I don't need to see him jump. You have said this has been going on for four years. If I had a horse that was still knocking fences after four years, I wouldnt be jumping them at competitions. I would have come to the conclusion that either they have a physical problem or they don't fully enjoy it.

Was he sold to you as a show jumper?

Have you looked at jump cross? Or set up a few jumps in a large field. It could be the confined space, indoor settings, or school space. But after all this time you would have ruled this out.

Does your brother own him? Is that why you can't loan out?

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
I don't need to see him jump. You have said this has been going on for four years. If I had a horse that was still knocking fences after four years, I wouldnt be jumping them at competitions. I would have come to the conclusion that either they have a physical problem or they don't fully enjoy it.

Was he sold to you as a show jumper?

Have you looked at jump cross? Or set up a few jumps in a large field. It could be the confined space, indoor settings, or school space. But after all this time you would have ruled this out.

Does your brother own him? Is that why you can't loan out?
Yes my brother owns him and he loves show jumping ando was sold to us as a show jumping/xc machine. Took him out last weekend and he only got 4 faults but then I could take him out again and he would get 16. Yes taken him jump cross and he does jump better on grass but still knocks them

Yes my brother owns him and he loves show jumping ando was sold to us as a show jumping/xc machine. Took him out last weekend and he only got 4 faults but then I could take him out again and he would get 16. Yes taken him jump cross and he does jump better on grass but still knocks them

Is he just tired when he starts knocking poles? Is he better if he has the day off before. Or does the surface make any difference? Height of jumps. Type of jumps, fillers etc. Also perhaps he is running into the jumps a little and going flat? I mean if he has a tendency to be lazy you might be over riding him and he's going fast and flat.

If your instructor just thinks he is being lazy then perhaps you just sometimes get him warmed up a bit better than other times. Basically it could be so many reasons.

Maybe try another instructor or if you only get taught at pony club try having a few lessons outside of pony club.

You have a summer jumper if he prefers grass. So you might just find sj is fine in the summer, Xc /hunting/HT for the winter.

I might get a pen and paper and note down the venue where he did well, with who, then the venue where he hasn't, with who.
Some horses just don't adapt to different riders, with obviously different weight distribution.

You have a summer jumper if he prefers grass. So you might just find sj is fine in the summer, Xc /hunting/HT for the winter.

I might get a pen and paper and note down the venue where he did well, with who, then the venue where he hasn't, with who.
Some horses just don't adapt to different riders, with obviously different weight distribution.
Yeah but brother couldn't get him to go xc ando got eliminated everytimemail. Whereas with me he hasaid gon round everything and now started flying clear!

Is he just tired when he starts knocking poles? Is he better if he has the day off before. Or does the surface make any difference? Height of jumps. Type of jumps, fillers etc. Also perhaps he is running into the jumps a little and going flat? I mean if he has a tendency to be lazy you might be over riding him and he's going fast and flat.

If your instructor just thinks he is being lazy then perhaps you just sometimes get him warmed up a bit better than other times. Basically it could be so many reasons.

Maybe try another instructor or if you only get taught at pony club try having a few lessons outside of pony club.
She thinks he is being lazy with his legs but he is really very fizzy which makes it good to get a nice bouncy counter so he is not flat or doesnot have enough energy x

newrider.com