Horse wont stop knocking jumps down!!1

Chaz2015

Oct 10, 2016
My 14.2hh keeps knocking poles down whatever the height, whatever theapproach, whatever the stride or my position. Went to a comp couple of weeks ago and got 20 faults in the first round and 16 in the next! Grids dont help and dont know what to do !! HELP!!!

You can't make a horse jump if they don't wish to. Some jump, some just plough or are careless with front or backs.

If I were in your position I would start from scratch with ground poles, moving onto trotting poles. Lunge over, and let them work through perhaps three.
Build up to ridden and slowly raise.

If it is the front being lazy, use a cross pole.

My first thought though, why are you competing a horse that would be demolishing jumps at home?

You can't make a horse jump if they don't wish to. Some jump, some just plough or are careless with front or backs.

If I were in your position I would start from scratch with ground poles, moving onto trotting poles. Lunge over, and let them work through perhaps three.
Build up to ridden and slowly raise.

If it is the front being lazy, use a cross pole.

My first thought though, why are you competing a horse that would be demolishing jumps at home?
I compete him because he is a cracking horse that I have competed at 95cm show jumoping and xc and gone clear but then will come out the next day and trash them all !

You say you compete him and he can jump then next day he can trash them.

Has he been jumped alot? They can be over jumped, well they can be over anything and can become sour to it. Has he had pain ruled out? Spavins would be my first port of call, not uncommon in jumpers or horses that have had working lives?

Reactions: Jessey
I'd have to agree, a quick once over by the vet then a really good RI on the ground is probably the best approach to getting this issue resolved.

He is said to be totally fit and healthy by vet and back person said he was a bit stiff but nothing that should course him to do it ! I don't really jump him that much maybe 20 mins every few days then 1 comp a weekend

To some horses that's a lot.
If you compete weekends, you probably only need to do a few jumps in one session in between.
They sound a bit sour.

if you suspect him to be sour, I would give him a break, maybe just enjoy some hacks out.. no jumping. Then re introduce and see if any difference in him.

I think that jumping 3 times per week is a fair bit for most horses, especially if they are decent height jumps. The showjumpers on my yard rarely jump at home. They perhaps do one session before a big show, but the rest of the time they are schooled or hacked so they are fresh for competing.

I don't jump high, but I only just my horse once a week, and perhaps have another session with just poles. That is plenty for us.

Normally if a horse is knocking SJ a good reminder over some solid fences re establises their respect for jumps, however it sounds as if there is something going on with your horse mechanically perhaps. Stiffness can be for a lot of reasons. If not already feeding a joint supp it might bet worth trying one.

If not then go XC and see if you get any fence knocking or refusals which could tell you something.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
He has done this for the past for years of having him but starting be next year so trying to get it sorted before then so we don't waist money

Maybe look at loaning him or selling and getting something that has a little more potential to event?

Maybe look at loaning him or selling and getting something that has a little more potential to event?
I can't believe I missed the comments, "has done it for the past four years of having him"

Seriously, Op. Why are you still competing. Aiming for BE on a horse that clearly doesn't want to jump/can't due to being stiff.

Is it half-term, as I can't believe someone would carry on like this for four years!

I can't believe I missed the comments, "has done it for the past four years of having him"

Seriously, Op. Why are you still competing. Aiming for BE on a horse that clearly doesn't want to jump/can't due to being stiff.

Is it half-term, as I can't believe someone would carry on like this for four years!
You shouldnto judge before u have actually seen this horse jump ! It is not because of him being stiff that he is doing thisome as anew actual professional has told us this the stiffness was very slight and they worked on it so is now very very slight ! has done be loads with my brother and he is still fit to compete !

That's a lot of poles!! It's basically down to 2 things; 1 something is wrong medically, how old is the horse? Where was the stiffness? Have a full workup from the vet, if they find something there's your answer. If not horse is not a jumper, you can try and improve but can't turn them into something they're not unfortunately. Grids, a frames, sold fences can all help but to be honest a horse that has that many poles in 2 rounds I really doubt it'll improve enough, you've already said grids haven't helped. I'd also worry about taking a horse over solid fences that was having that many poles down could end up having a accident if it leaves a leg behind XC.

Does sound like too much jumping but from experience I usually find horses that have gone sour refuse to jump rather than just hit everything.

Doesn't sound like the horse is either capable or willing to do BE, maybe time to either get a horse that is suitable for the job or change what you want to do to fit the horse.

That's a lot of poles!! It's basically down to 2 things; 1 something is wrong medically, how old is the horse? Where was the stiffness? Have a full workup from the vet, if they find something there's your answer. If not horse is not a jumper, you can try and improve but can't turn them into something they're not unfortunately. Grids, a frames, sold fences can all help but to be honest a horse that has that many poles in 2 rounds I really doubt it'll improve enough, you've already said grids haven't helped. I'd also worry about taking a horse over solid fences that was having that many poles down could end up having a accident if it leaves a leg behind XC.

Does sound like too much jumping but from experience I usually find horses that have gone sour refuse to jump rather than just hit everything.

Doesn't sound like the horse is either capable or willing to do BE, maybe time to either get a horse that is suitable for the job or change what you want to do to fit the horse.
Xc he never touches the fence because he knows it will hurt him. He hasaid 1.10 track xc and a lot of the big fences at Somerford park! My instruntiring thinks it could just be laziness because he knows it won't hurt if he drops them but xc it will ! Had the vet out and they said he is totally fit and healthy and it is nothing mepically he isaid 12 x

newrider.com