Horse Vetting yes, no?

5 stage for me too, belt and braces I guess but I don't know enough about horses to be able to assess one myself.
The thing with vetting too is its not a 'pass' or 'fail' thing, it depends if the horse is fit for what you want to do with it, so as long as you are honest with the vet you'll know if at the time of the vetting the horse is fit for purpose as it were.
I can't see the point in a 2 stage really, but at the end of the day lots of people don't have horses vetted and go on to have a long and happy life with them and others who may 'pass' the vetting end up lame a week later, only you can decide if it's worth the risk to you and if you would be prepared to send him back if the vet found something that could potentially lead to problems later on.

I'd do a two stage if I just wanted a happy hacker. Personally, for really low level stuff, I don't think there's anything that would be picked up on a five stage that wouldn't be picked up at at two stage. If you're doing a bit more, jumping and so on, I'd definitely go for a five stage.

Angel failed her first five stage vetting because she was 9/10ths lame behind. She wasn't shod on her hinds (presumably because she's a total pain in the arse to shoe behind and kicks! I should pay my farrier danger money really) and was uneven. The vet made it very clear that this was the only reason she'd 'failed' her and she passed on everything else, and if I'd just been buying her to hack (instead of to event) then she'd have passed her. The seller had her shod behind and I had her revetted and she passed. It was quite a lot of money to spend but if she'd failed the second time, I wouldn't have bought her. This is because I've already got Roxy who is arthritic, which requires management, and I couldn't put myself in a situation where I'm paying for ongoing treatment for not one but two horses that are lame behind! Each to their own though.

Last edited:
ive vetted in the past but havent vetted the last 4 i bought and wouldnt again unless i was buying something of high value and expecting it to 3 day event (not likely)

as for insurance it depends on the value of the horse. From memory i think if you want to insure anything with a value over 3k then it needs a vetting certificate.

That has changed and gone up a bit then on insurance. I paid £2,500 for madam and they wanted her at least two stage vetted. I decided against five stage anyway as I had just bought J and had him vetted only to find he wasn't well enough to so what OH wanted after just two weeks:(

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Never bothered with Vetting's, personally think unless the horse is worth more than £3-4k there's not much point!

I've brought 6 horses over the years, none of which were vetted and no disasters (although might have just been good luck!) my most expensive one was £1200 all the rest were under £600 :D

Reactions: JMR77
Out of interest why would some people vet a £3k plus horse but not a £2k one?

Doesn't matter how much a horse costs to begin with they all cost the same when they go wrong. The emotional worry and upset would be the same too. I think I'd vet anything unless it was just a happy hacker round the block type. I'm not saying people should vet as each to their own just wondering why and at what value do you change from not being bothered to wanting a vetting?

Doesn't matter how much a horse costs to begin with they all cost the same when they go wrong. The emotional worry and upset would be the same too. I think I'd vet anything unless it was just a happy hacker round the block type. I'm not saying people should vet as each to their own just wondering why and at what value do you change from not being bothered to wanting a vetting?

I completely agree. I have been incredibly lucky with my horse and we have only really had minor problems, but even 2 weeks of box rest completely did me in! Regardless of how much the horse costs, you still have to look after them when they are ill.

Reactions: Trewsers
I completely agree. I have been incredibly lucky with my horse and we have only really had minor problems, but even 2 weeks of box rest completely did me in! Regardless of how much the horse costs, you still have to look after them when they are ill.

Exactly. Why would anyone want to pay £1000 for something ill and or unrideable not long after purchase? It's hard enough sometimes accepting illness when you've had them a year or so. I think I will always vet in the future. If it's down to luck then I'll play safe!

Too true about costs! I guess I was unlucky both ways - J has a five stage and wound up unfit for purpose after just two weeks! But, he could still hack lightly and school lightly and we had fallen in love with him, so no way was her going anywhere. But I still think even after that I'd vet again.

If I were paying good money for a horse, I would get it vetted.

If I were bringing home a rescue, there's no point, IMHO. I'm taking in a horse in need, fullly aware that anything can crop up due to neglect or abuse.

Reactions: Trewsers

I'd only consider getting a more expensive horse vetted purely for insurance purposes, I've seen horses that have been vetted upon purchase then cost their owners thousands a little further down the line. The vet is vetting the horse in front of them on that day, 7-8 months down the line the owner could have huge vet bills, thing is as we all know horses aren't predictable and although a vetting may give some reassurance to a buyer the vet or buyer can't see into the future, if we could why would anyone cover against vet bills. x

Reactions: JMR77
Personally I would for my own piece of mind, even if it was just a basic vetting not the full 5 star. The reason been the first horse I was going to buy I had on a two week trial he was a big young boy. The perfect arounder 16hh 5 year old very calm good natured horse lovely lovely boy everyone loved him. Had the two weeks not an issue. Got him vetted just a 2 star vetting. They picked up a grade 4 heart mumor!! And even though there was no plan to compete at badminton I could be out cantering on a hack and he could have a heart attack! Horse went back sadly.

Personally I would for my own piece of mind, even if it was just a basic vetting not the full 5 star. The reason been the first horse I was going to buy I had on a two week trial he was a big young boy. The perfect arounder 16hh 5 year old very calm good natured horse lovely lovely boy everyone loved him. Had the two weeks not an issue. Got him vetted just a 2 star vetting. They picked up a grade 4 heart mumor!! And even though there was no plan to compete at badminton I could be out cantering on a hack and he could have a heart attack! Horse went back sadly.
Aww that's so sad....but a gd thing u had the vetting done c

newrider.com