Horse size V's Rider Size

Hi!

I am 17 nr 18 yrs old and am 5ft2 and 7stone 4 lbs and staying same (l0l) i ride and compete a 13.2 fine pony and regularily ride a 10.3 darty mare!!!:D

I'm 5"2 or 3 and weigh 6 stone 8, and will ride just about anything!! My rule is, if the horse doesn't seem happy to carry you, get off. I have ridden every pony at my yard, from a 9hh shetland to the 16.2hh Irish horse, but prefer them smaller as I feel I'm bouncing around on anything bigger than 13.3-14hh. I don't feel as secure on the larger horses either.
Having said that, I used to ride a 17.2hh German Trakhner for a friend and got on really well with it, so it just goes to show...

as long as it carries your weight go for a shorter horse rater than taller , in order to get the best out of the horse you need to be able to get you'r legs around it and use them and your seat however good a rider you are, you may get away with it for jumping with spurs but for schooling you need to be able to get hold of the horse with you'r seat and legs. one of my pet peve's is seeing people on horses that are to big for them:mad: however good the rider may be ;)
I loves TB's and arabs , 'cos i like fowardgoing horses but cobs can be just as fowardgoing and great fun why people have this need to ride something 17.2hh when thier feet barely come past the saddle flaps i will never know!!:p

Yes, I agree! Have added to your request Purplehugs. It's great that people who have not felt able to post before are joining in because us plumpers are coming out of the closet!:D

I'm 5ft 10 and weight about 9stone

And ride (I'm at a RS) anything between 13.2 to 17.2hh. I tend to ride mainly the bigger ones but have been known to ride the smallers.

I did sit on a 12.2 the other week too (a friend's pony)

I'm 5'6 & 9 stone, 6 pounds (hopefully soon to be 9 stone!) I will ride any size but ideally, like something 16 hh & up. Ni is 16.2 (and a 1/2;) )and on the typical lanky TB side & I feel like we fit very well together.

Attachments

• Ni.jpg
    Ni.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 10
I totally agree with the weight related comments, I am a 6ft male and look like a claissic rugby player (never played it though) I weigh 17 and a half stone. My kids and wife ride so we agreed to a riding holiday, me as a novice. No joy anywhere once I told them my weight.

Then one morning at the kids riding lesson the instructor joking, said to me about learning, I told her I was too heavy but didnt say my weight. She was having none of it and 5 minutes later I was on a 17 hands horse! Three lessons later he is totally unfased by my weight. If we do go on a holiday I will mention I am big and see if they need more specific details. I found a place in Exmoor who said they have a 15 stone limit but I can ride for an hour before I have to change horse. Thats cool and good business I guess.

Magnús Laurasson is well over 6 foot, he is an Icelandic horse trainer, there are few Icelandics over 14hh (In spite of what some folk will tell you!!) I guess Magnús must be about 17 stone, or there abouts. I caught him riding my 13,2hh Icelandic and that horse danced, I had never seen him move so well under this guy. And I was worried that my 13 stone was too much for the horse.

A 17 stone, well balanced rider, who is fit and can carry his own weight is better for a horse than a 10 stone unbalanced unfit person.

Fákur is our weight carrier, he's 14hh maybe and doesn't blink at 18 stone.

Gizzie - there are places that will do it. Rempstone (dorset) have(had?) an 18stone limit, as does the heavy horse centre in norfolk and I've found a few others over time, you just have to look a bit harder than most folks when trying to find hols! aj xx

newrider.com