Horse size V's Rider Size

i'm 5 ft and 8 stone and wouldn't ride any bigger than 15hh. i ride a 14.2hh horse and he's the perfect size for me. i wouldn't ride any smaller than 13hh.

i think you would suit a 15hh cob.

hope that helps. :)

I'm 5'3 and weigh 9 stone. I have ridden horses and ponies between 13h and 16.2h but I feel most comfortable on horses that are 14.2 -15h.

I'm happy riding a larger horse but I do prefer to know I can mount from the ground if I need to, especially when out hacking.

I am often the smallest person in my (adult) group lesson so I tend to be asked to ride a pony on the smaller side (13h). My RI always assured me that the pony is happy to carry my weight and we seem to manage ok but when I catch sight of us in a mirror I think I look a little to large!

It's been really interesting to find out what size of horse everyone is riding and I feel quite relieved that some people are riding smaller horses and ponies. I was secretly worried that 14.2h is too small for me really :eek:

CM x

Hi,
I am 5ft 7ish and about 10 stone i normally ride fairly lightweight horses and my last horse was a 15.1 IDXStandardbred but i have now got a 2yr old newforest who will make about 13.1 will i be able to hack him we also have a 12hh welshie but i think i would break his back if i got on him

I am 5'4" and weigh around 11st, I have ridden everything from 12.2 to 17.2 without a problem, I like them around 14.2-15hh out of chioce though.

J x

I'm 5'11" and about 12 stone (I think?) and my pony is 14.3hh but handles my weight fine but I don't think I would go any smaller than her, and I would never jump her - I would just feel awful!

I am 5 feet 8 and about 14 stone, my horse is 13.1hh

Attachments

• Ljossie-schoolweb-two.jpg
    Ljossie-schoolweb-two.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 114
bexj said:
I'm also 5'4" and was 13st 11 in August (now 13st). My horse is a 16hh cob, so very well built, however, I also ride a 16.3hh fairly lightweight and elderly Hanovarian, and a 15.2hh tb quite comfortably. I have also ridden a 15hh Dales Pony, but they really are built for carrying weight.
well done on your weight loss! :D

Thanks for posting, it's nice to know I'm not the only one in this situation, and the heights available to me. :D I'm quite lucky at my RS as their horses are big, although I'm limited on how many I can ride as they only have the two. :rolleyes:

I am 16 years old and somewhere between 12-13stones :eek: :rolleyes: and my mare is a 14.2hh dales x cob, she appears to have no complaints about my riding her ;)

7e7bdfb9.jpg

Well I'm 5'2 and I weight 8 1/2 stones and I ride Harry a 16.2 normally...but I also ride a little 12.2 and lots of other little ponies for a friend and then ride a 17.2 big b*gger!!

I prefer them bigger though to be honest...dont really enjoy riding little ponies for some reason.

Wouldnt buy anything smaller than Harry now

S x

Well I'm around 5 ft maybe an inch less and today I rode a horse just a little taller than me....would you say he was 15hh?
I was working it out for ages but don't know whether I am right - if so I am a amazed at me riding 15hh because I have never ridden that high up in the saddle before.

I'm about 5'3 and... I think like 110 lbs. I've been riding a 14.2 arab/appy, and it wouldn't have been too long before she was too small for me(although she has arthritis now so I can't ride her anyway) I don't think I'd ever weigh enough that it would hurt her to carry me, but my legs would've gotten too long to do any kind of showing on her. I've also ridden a TB that was either 17 or 18 hands(I can't believe I forgot!) and I was able to mount w/o a mounting block or anything and my trainer said that I didn'r really look too small on him because I actually have long legs(for being short). My next horse will probably be around 16 hands, 15 at the very least.

vimto92 said:
Well I'm around 5 ft maybe an inch less and today I rode a horse just a little taller than me....would you say he was 15hh?
I was working it out for ages but don't know whether I am right - if so I am a amazed at me riding 15hh because I have never ridden that high up in the saddle before.
Anyone :( ?

Alflover said:
Thats probably about right vimto. Im about 5'3 and can easily see over a 14.2hh's back, but wouldnt be able to about 15.2. So for 5ft thats about right. My logic is strange but right enough i think! :)
Thank you :D

Hi
I am 5 foot 11
Twelve and half stone
and ride a 15'2 Irish Cob. I probably would not go any smaller but we seem to be OK together, I was 13 stone for a while but working hard!!!

newrider.com