Horse riding lessons

pokadot

Dec 22, 1999
Jefferson City, MO; USA
Visit site
Does anyone know of a place where a person can take private lessons for not an outrageous price within a 50-60 mile radius of Jefferson City, MO? Even a private individual that does it on the side at home or something?

I visited a huge dressage barn outside of Kansas City last summer. It's in the area of the horse park that's owned by the city. If that's not too far to drive, I'll get the details. They board and train horses there and, of course, offer lessons at all levels. I went there with a friend who was trying out a warmblood mare (she didn't buy her but it was a wonderful horse). Lessons there should cost around $40 per hour.

I live in Lincoln, Ne and ride at the Yankee Hill Equestrian Center. Lessons here are the same price and I have a wonderful trainer if you want to drive this far. I'll ask her next week if she knows anyone in your area.

Are the lessons really that expensive? I used to take lessons at a barn in metro KC that charged $22/hour for group lessons, $30/hour for private lessons. Right now I am driving all the way to Lacygne (an hours drive) once a week for saddleseat lessons. They are private lessons, and cost $15 for 1/2 hour, or $25 for an hour. $40 is pretty outrageous if you ask me. Anyways, don't mean to start a fight, just give a different perspective.

Allie

What is all that in English? I don't do $s only £s.

I think that riding lessons are outrageously expensive and it is a shame because I think that lots more people would go horse-riding, like me who used to but now can't afford £14/hour group. My friend pays £16/hour group which I think is disgusting.

Karen

$15.00 ~ £9.30
$20.00 ~ £12.40
$30.00 = £18.55
$40.00 ~ £24.75

I definitely wouldn't be taking two or three lessons a week at $40.00 per hour. Mine are $23.85 (that's with taxes included). I think that's fairly reasonable considering all the costs of the business. I think if our lessons were any less my instructor wouldn't be able to feed the horses! :eek:

Hope everyone had a happy and safe Christmas! :D

Different trainers charge different amounts at the barn where I keep my horse. So the lowest fee is $30 for an hour plus $10 for the school horse. Then if you want to ride the school horse outside of a lesson, it's still $10 for an hour's ride. A good way to get in some saddle time, I think. Everyone who boards is required to take one lesson per month, by the way. I'm told this is an effort to make sure all the horse get ridden a bit and not just parked at the barn.

I usually take one lesson per week and try to ride 4 or 5 times in addition to the lesson.
Do boarding fees vary a lot too? I pay $275 and that's for feeding 3 x a day, 8-12 hours of turnout and a stall,of course. Vet and farrier bills are extra. And they do feed free choice hay plus grain. What do other folks pay?

Thanks for all of your responses. Yes, Kansas City is too far, it is about a 3 hour drive one way for me, but thank you anyway. I agree that $40 does sound a little high, but I would be willing to pay $20 - $25 per hour. We have our own horses, so I would really like to find someone that I could work with individually with my own horse, let me know if you guys here of anyone. Thanks!!

Vee- my horses are on pasture board. It costs $60/month, and they are given free roam of 152 acres (which can make them a bit hard to find in the summer), and there are trails all across the area to ride. Nothing other than the pasture and hay in the winter, is included, although the other boarders would bring my horses in for me and feed them if I asked them to. Grain, farrier, and wormer costs are seperate. All the boarders have their own stalls indoors to use just for a couple of hours while they are out at the ranch. It's a very nice place to board, everyone is very helpful. Another thing that is nice is that you can borrow other people's horses if you have afriend coming and need an extra horse. I don't have a lot of money, so this is the only way I can afford horses.
All right, enough rambling. :)

Allie

newrider.com