Home made treats

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
The girls at yard are thinking of Christmas already! It got me thinking of home made treats for sox. However I am quite clueless with this.
It's all fibre feeds, mainly low starch and sugar

I had a recipe for home made cake for horses - but am pretty sure it had loads of "bad" stuff in it, mainly lashings of molaseso_O have you googled for any recipes??

I think you'll struggle without adding stuff you don't want to feed, it might be easier to have a careful read of the ingredients in ready made treats.

What does he usually have? To treat offer something else.
Mine usually gets one apple or one carrot. So a treat for her is if I have been and sourced dandelions, Rosehips and added it to the bucket.

But you could hang up a fruit and veg kebab type thing.

I use Bailey's horse treats which are basically fibre and the horses adore them. Someone handy could probably make their own ;)
This is the ingredients list
Oatfeed (by product of the oat milling industry), Alfalfa Meal, Molasses, Micronised Unmolassed Sugarbeet, Flavours of Essential Oils

What does he usually have? To treat offer something else.
Mine usually gets one apple or one carrot. So a treat for her is if I have been and sourced dandelions, Rosehips and added it to the bucket.

But you could hang up a fruit and veg kebab type thing.

Oh that brings back memories! Lol veg kebabs - I hung those for Storm one summer on the yard when she was confined to a small area.

I use Bailey's horse treats which are basically fibre and the horses adore them. Someone handy could probably make their own ;)
This is the ingredients list
Oatfeed (by product of the oat milling industry), Alfalfa Meal, Molasses, Micronised Unmolassed Sugarbeet, Flavours of Essential Oils
I use these too, I've tried making my own, spent a fair bit on ingredients, made a right mess of my kitchen and the horses weren't keen and they didn't keep well :( I buy about 1 of the bailey's buckets a year, they're not the perfect thing to feed but they aren't terrible, everything in moderation and all that.

Reactions: GaryB
newrider.com