HM, Easysit.

cost of a saddle

NewRiderGirl22 - new saddles are never cheap ! I have sold one of my saddles (synthetic western) and have another for sale (dressage) to help pay for it. Neither of the other saddles would fit my broad little Appaloosa.:D And the horse I bought them for is 30 this year, so happy to just have one saddle.

If you could sell your existing saddle, it would help pay for a new one, but not the whole price. And if you are not having problems with your current saddle,.... then maybe you can wait and save the money ?

I wanted one like this because my horse (as far as I know) has never had an english saddle on. So I wanted one that would be comfortable for her and put me in the best balance possible. Then we should start right. There are days when I weight-lift her western saddle up that I really wish my HM would be here today ! Plus she loose jumps really nicely, so I could start doing some jumping... .:p

I gave in an rang yesterday to see if it was sent off yet - but they were all out at lunch :( so I still don't know. Fingers crossed .

Fascinating photos, saddle does look comfortable, might consider one for my girl.The Islandic stirrups are really incredible, are they shaped like that to accomodate heavy snow boots? L

I've got one!

My lovely HM saddle arrived not long ago -Yay! At the moment, I don't ride much (works the boy in hand, mostly), so I haven't really tried it all that much, but it's by far the most comfy saddle I've ever sat on, and it seems so correct my way-to-hollow back rather nicely.

Silly grins all round and looks of amazement today. Two of the lasses who hang around and help us had a good go in it today, It helped the one lass so much keep in the correct position, the horse went so much better in it too, I suppose due to the stillness of the rider not having to struggle to maintain a position.
Clare thought that Kina had gone from a jarring cobby pony stride into a much more ground covering horse stride which was so easy to sit to. I thought tis too. rising trot becomes effortless and the correct position is maintained.

We did a group lesson with Kina and I swapped everyone round so I could see what effect it had on different shaped and sized kids. The beauty of this saddle is, because you sink to fit it and it moulds around you smaller riders are accomodated in it when in a similar sized ordinary saddle they may well slide around.

It is straight enough cut to free the horse's shoulder and the panel spreads the weight for miles. It leaves the Thorowgood saddle (HM dressage with built in seat saver) in the dark....sorry!

Just curious......

Having now seen the photos of the saddle, I'm just wondering....it looks deliciously comfortable......but is it not a bit...em...err....FLAT??? Or does the dressage model look different? OR....is it just me and my disability?? Although comfortable.....I'm not sure how secure I'd feel in it. You've seen me ride Wally......would I survive it??? It looks SO ....SO comfy....sigh!

Hmmmmm

Looks like a VERY comfy saddle.

Any chance it comes with an interchangable tree?? I am ready to buy a saddle (I really HATE school tack) but not yet ready to buy a horse so I have been looking to get a Bates as they have the interchangable tree. If this one does, I may look at this as an alternative.

hey,

venus- are u sure the school will let u use ur own saddle? cuz they dont know for sure if it will fit etc.

wouldl there be any chance of getting a pic, with a rider in the saddle, etc, or like, just as the rider has gotten off, so it still is lol, i dunno compressed? lol

it does loook ooo so comfortable!

NewRiderGirl22

I'm sorry, but I don't do pics of myself much, and besides, I don't have a scanner. But you never know, I might get some photos taken when I've ridden him more :)

Venus - if you mean an interchangeable gullet like, say, the Wintecs, no. The saddle width can be adjusted as much as you like, but it has to be done properly at the factory.

Monty - I have the same seat foam in my saddle and you do sink into it, as Wally says. It means you don't slide around at all. I find it keeps me so much more stable in the saddle, which means the rest of me can say still as well, and that in turn is much nicer for the horse.

The Heather Moffett Seatbone Saver, for all of us who cannot purchase a brand new HM saddle works wonders. The seat's material is very confortable, and helps you to stick to the saddle. It improves balance and helps you to feel more secure. Cantering and sitting trot are greatly improved. It is shock-absorving, it can be used over any saddle.

I've been reading this post and have learned that the HM saddle molds (sp?) to the seat of the rider. Because of some scoliosis, my right seat bone doesn't contact the saddle as it should. Would this saddle help?

Thanks Ros, that is exactly what I meant! :) I guess I will stick with the Bates. (I want leather so the Wintec is out of the running)

At the end of the day you must admit that leather wears better in the long term, but it has disadvantages as well. A leather saddle is more expensive, and usually heavier. It's also tempting to say to yourself that if you've invested a lot of money in a really expensive saddle, you don't want to sell it; it's amazing how many people hang onto their saddles and use them on different horses just because they've had it forever. Some leather saddles are adjustable, but it depends on what make of tree is used, whereas all the Saddle Company trees are adjustable. And most new saddles don't have serge panels either, which is a shame. The Saddle Company will also replace parts on their saddles if needs be, which I don't think Wintec or TG would (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

hm seatsaver

newgirl22 - the seatsaver might work for you too. Can use on any saddle, cheaper than whole new saddle ! And your instructor should not object ;)

And they are comfy.

cvb

I totally agree with you. I also wear a H M Seatbone Saver and it works wonders. I have used it on several horses, over different saddles. In fact, I would ad on, it also boosts your confidence.

I too use a seat saver, and I love it.The only and I mean the ONLY problem with it is: it does take up some of the depth of the saddle, and depending upon the size and shape of your btm, it can make the saddle appear a little too small for you, especially at the cantle at the sitting part of a rising trot. I guess if your saddle was already PLENTY big enough it wouldn't be too bad, but if it's a just right fit as mine is, having bought it ,before I met Heather's seat saver, then you can have this problem. Perhaps asking someone who knows what you NORMALLY look like when you ride, to watch you with the seatsaver, might be a help. Just a personal experience.

Agreed they can be seat savers in all senses of the word. Apparently they are reknowned for the extra glue effect. I use mine all the time on Moss's saddle and for hacking on Conn. I can school her better without it as I do find I lose a bit of feel of her back.

newrider.com