HM, Easysit.

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
It's come, and Kina is chuffed to little buttons....so am I. Kina is our lumpy Fjord mare who tends to be very bouncy to sit and very much on her nose.

Her HM GP arrived and I fitted her with it and had a quick fling round the school, I have to say the difference in her is marked, the saddle is a wonderful fit, much better than her old (borrowed) saddle and it is so much easier to ride her in. She seems to feel the benefit of a serge panel (always liked serge, I made my own saddle years ago with a serge panel, it cost me more than a leather one!!) This is the way forward and I will order another one for Kvikur, a dressage this time as he does no jumping. They look a bit weird but the benefits are there. I have to say I'm really pleased with it.

I found the Thorowgood one too squashy in the panel and it always falls too low at the back and presses on the spine. This has exactly the right amount of give in the panels.

I'll take a few pics, but I cannot post for some reason, I'll have to e-mail them to someone else to post them....any offers? Pm me with an e-mail address. Monty usually cops. for my posting pictures.

The saddle looks very different to the normal seamed seat saddle we are all accustomed to, but it is so easy to sit in, no pommel making bits of you sore. and is VERY broad in the bearing surface. This is good because we have relativly small horses who carry adults on treks. We need a good comfy seat to accommodate adults with a big bearing surface to spread their weight.

The bars are in the right place. You drop into the right position instantly.

Maybe it's because I'm an idle so and so, but as an instructor if I can get folk into the correct position it makes my life easier as well as that of the horse.

Yes, I'll post your photos.Don't make them too big, because I can't edit someone else's photos.The one of foal in leggings for example, that yousent me was too big.
Anyway, I wanna see this saddle.What is serge????(Ignoramus that I am!!)
Heather and Dave Johnson are fitting Rebel and I with a brand new saddle next Wednesday, at Aksager Equestrian Centre.Can't wait!!!

Sorry to be ignorant, what is an HM saddle, who makes it? whats it made of? A girlfriend is tearing her hair out having had her saddle reflocked - it now doesn't fit her cob.He's 14hh Welsh, and quite barrell shaped. I dread to think of the amount of saddle fitters she's had out, to no avail. Would this saddle help? L

easisit saddle

Its a saddle designed by Heather Moffet (HM) and made by The Saddle Co.

I'm waiting for mine at the mo' ! But it has a way to come...:( so seems to be taking a while. I know its made cos they told me so - but shipping is obviously taking some time.

There are pictures etc on http://www.enlightenedequitation.com/Main_Menu/main_menu.html

look under products and saddles. The Barry Swain one is another, more expensive, option.

Serge is a hard wearing woollen material. The advantages over a leather panel are quite a few.

You can regulate the flock with a regulating awl through the panel without removing it. But only to do fine adjustments.

It is less slippy than a leather panel so if you have a barrel of a horse or one with no shoulders it is less likely to slide about.

It is more forgiving than leather and is kinder to the horse's back.

It can get a bit hairy though, but a quick brush does the trick. Some folk say it doesn't last as long as leather, but my saddle I made about 16 years ago is still on the same panels.

care instructions

hmm - if my easisit does not come with care instructions, I may be asking for some advise Wally !

For example, what happens if you use a saddle with a serge panel with a saddle cloth ? (easier to wash the saddle cloth).

And how to do you get sweat etc out of the serge ?

Now all I need is the saddle.....:D

Wow, Monty - lucky Rebel, Heather AND Dave!
Can't wait to hear how you get on.

Wally - Dave can cap your 16 years - he was telling us about a saddle he has with serge panels which is around 90 years old and still fine, so no worries there! By the way, I usually use a cotton numnah with mine, but it sounds as though you don't always? I'd quite like to try it without but like cvb I worry about its getting too dirty - not so much sweat as grease. I'm sure they didn't use numnahs in the good old days when all the hunting saddles had serge panels?

Laetitia - probably!

My old serge saddle (well 16 years) I use with a thin cotton numnah, on show days I don't use any cloth at all. As the horse is bathed it may just get a bit greasy but just a good brush with a stiff, not coarse, brush gets out the dirt and hairs. Mine is a white serge one too!

In the museum of the worshipfull co. of master saddlers there are some side saddles which may beat Barry's 90 years;) ;) so as you can see woollen serge is just as good, if not better than a leather panel! any advance on 90 years?

That picture by the way, was Heather Moffett Easysit saddle, by all accounts.The next one, dear friends, is an Icelandic stirrup! Amazing looking things aren't they??

Attachments

• stirrup.jpg
    stirrup.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 352
Huh...I have to confess that the saddle actually looks, to me, well--uncomfortable! I find that in anything besides a very deep seet my bursitus is seriously aggravated. The HM seat reminds me of a touring saddle I had that fit my horse but caused me a lot of pain (sitting more "on" the saddle rather than "in" the saddle, kind of, or something).

Tell me it's not so? Maybe if I saw a pic of someone sitting in it it would look different.

like a built in HM saddle saver..

Galadriel, don't know if you've seen or used an HM seat saver, but they are seriously comfortable and 'improve' all saddles I've used them on (not so many, but still :) ). I have both english and western versions.

So then imagine a saddle with the seat saver built in ! Don't remember the technical description, but its the type of foam that forms to you.

I think it looks more deep because of the lack of seams.

Don't have mine yet (hopefully its in transit somewhere as I know its made !), but am really looking forward to it.

The seat is slow-release foam, designed by NASA - so yuo sink into the saddle rather than sitting on top of it - supremely comfortable. I get mine next weekend :D

I want one!!

Well, I had been considering getting one of these saddles, and I'm now convinced after reading your posts.

I'll be interested to see just how much (if at all) the new saddle will improve my position. I have real problems getting the correct leg position - I can't keep my heels down without my lower leg coming too far forward, and my lower legs move too much. I don't know if this is due to my poor position, or the shape of the saddle. The saddle I have at present is quite an old one - a good, well-made English saddle, but it looks like an old-fashioned design to me.

So I fully expect to become a brilliant rider with a perfect classical riding position once I get my new saddle.;) Well, OK, maybe that's asking a bit much, but it will be interesting to see if my position improves at all.....

newrider.com